20W50 HDEO insane MPG.

It's currently very hot in Cairo, decided to take the scooter for my daily commute. M1 5W40 was in sump before I picked Delvac MX III 20W50. Extreme day temperature around, air-cooled engine, heavy traffic, dusty air, etc. So I need the extra ZDDP and TBN. Before I had good 75 MPG on 0W40 or 5W40, nothing outstanding for a 150cc engine. Now I'm getting a whopping 120 MPG.. wait a minute! What?
20W50? stout HT/HS ? 20W50 saving fuel? In 8 years having this scooter I've never seen fuel mileage better than 80-85 MPG.

Somethings off. Not only is it thicker but also a huge bump. I wonder if anyone could give some explanation.

For a while years ago BITOG posters would for some reason switch from a 5W-30 to a 0W-5W-20 and report several mpgs better gas mileage!

Somethings off. Not only is it thicker but also a huge bump. I wonder if anyone could give some explanation.
Something is definitely off. It's not reasonable to get better mileage running a thicker oil. I was expecting a slight drop, not a huge bump.

Just wondering how hot is very hot there?
100 F. You feel the heat 🔥 like you're in an oven and then it gets a bit more worse in traffic. Like you hate being alive in that part of the world.
No, how many times have you filled up and calculated 120 mpg by dividing miles driven by gallons used? 1? 5? 10?

If one fill up then maybe a mistake. If 10 tanks calculated at 120 mpg not so much.
In 90 km It burned 1.75 liters.
I refilled it after 90 km.. It took 1.75 liters
Then in 90 km it burned 1.75 liters.
90/1.75? ~52.5
How many liters is in a gallon? 3.785L
Then how many kilometers a 3.785 liters could go? Convert to miles as you like.

Something is definitely off. It's not reasonable to get better mileage running a thicker oil. I was expecting a slight drop, not a huge bump.

True... oil drag is real like going up hill... a 50 grade will cost you Horse Power and higher temperatures with no increase in longevity versus a 30 grade...

full-45634-35309-oiltubeviscositytest.jpg

Last edited:
no increase in longevity versus a 30 grade...
Let's set aside the additive package contribution to wear control because that would be a different story altogether. In a condition where xW30 is appropriate, a xW50 will not be a plus. But vice versa would be very detrimental long-term. XW30 in an engine that's air-cooled, stuck in heavy traffic with almost zero air flow and the engine temperature approaches 280 F, and where the traffic ease a little bit you're cooling down the engine with very hot air because temperature during the day is 100 F, no oil filter as well, so we need the MOFT to be thicker than wear metals as well. Now the question is, will a xW30 do the engine a favor long-term? I'm saying "long-term because even a 0W8 will be enough for protection, but for how long?
Another debate in favor of thicker viscosity is that it's not as restricted as the lower grades in terms of AW and EP additives.

His Honda OM calls out 5W-30 as an option, so he thinks everyone should run a 5W-30 non-JASO motor oil in their motorcycles, even if the OM doesn't say to do so.

. Now the question is, will a xW30 do the engine a favor long-term?

Good question...
Blackstone's 35 years worth of racing and street motorcycle oil
analysis shows no significant differences in WEAR between the grades
or brands... in other words either a 30 grade a 50 grade oil will meet
and exceed your mileage expectations... but only the 30 will let you
enjoy more horse power and lower engine temps...

Have you noticed that the trend among manufactures is in favor of the freer flowing 30 grade oils???

Reactions: FZ1
Good question...
Blackstone's 35 years worth of racing and street motorcycle oil
analysis shows no significant differences in WEAR between the grades
or brands... in other words either a 30 grade a 50 grade oil will meet
and exceed your mileage expectations... but only the 30 will let you
enjoy more horse power and lower engine temps...

Have you noticed that the trend among manufactures is in favor of the freer flowing 30 grade oils???
Interesting. Thanks!

Back