2023 VW Jetta

First time anyone in the family has purchased an "import", I am the family mechanic. My older son just bought a 2023 VW Jetta 1.5T Sport, 1.5liter DOHC TSI turbo. Any recommendations about oil? Looks like he gets free maintenance for 30,000 miles. My guess is I will want to change oil in between whatever VW says the interval is.

Any oil meeting the required VW508.00 0W-20 specification. (All VW508.00 oils are 0W-20 but very few 0W-20 motor oils meet VW508.00).

I used to buy it directly from the dealership at a decent price. You can also order from Amzm or Wlmrt.

Congrats to your son on the new ride. Wishing him many hundreds of thousands of miles of safe, reliable enjoyable motoring.

First time anyone in the family has purchased an "import", I am the family mechanic. My older son just bought a 2023 VW Jetta 1.5T Sport, 1.5liter DOHC TSI turbo. Any recommendations about oil? Looks like he gets free maintenance for 30,000 miles. My guess is I will want to change oil in between whatever VW says the interval is.
Under hood decal viewed?

almost if not ALL vehicles are imports more or less in our global -import economy!! VW is quick to void warranties, that said i used to DUMP my free dealer oil changes in 2001 1.8T jetta + save for my girlfriends car + i put in a real synthetic 10-30 + it was still doing great at 200 thou trade in!! of course NO DI or other fancy PITA tech then!

Here we go again.

Ravenoll VSE @ 9000-10000, you’re welcome.

P.s he probably paid extra for te maintenance if he’s not going to use it see if it’s refundable.., it’s basically 3 oil changes for 3 years.

I'm going to be interested in your experience. I really like VW products but I've been afraid to buy one.

Why? Seems some people have a good experience with VWs. Some don't. Seems it's one extreme or the other.

The engine on a friend's GTI crapped out. What kind of car does that nowadays? Driven by a boy racer maybe? I don't think so as he's a 55 - 60 year old physician.

Another friend had the rear window of his Jetta shatter while it was sitting in the parking lot - out of warranty by miles but well within warranty by time - and VW wouldn't stand behind it at all. As if the distance travelled had anything to do with a window shattering. They could at least have given him a break on pricing or covered half the cost or something like that. But no, he was charged the full freight - and immediately dumped the car.

And so on.

I know the owners manual is going to tell me that
Any oil meeting the required VW508.00 0W-20 specification. (All VW508.00 oils are 0W-20 but very few 0W-20 motor oils meet VW508.00).

I used to buy it directly from the dealership at a decent price. You can also order from Amzm or Wlmrt.

Congrats to your son on the new ride. Wishing him many hundreds of thousands of miles of safe, reliable enjoyable motoring.
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I knew that Euros had some specific requirements and by clarifying the VW508.00 which I know nothing about makes it a lot easier. Some mentioned the dealer oil changes, not an extra cost, is on the window sticker. I will split the difference and let the dealer do changes at 10,000, 20,000 & 30,000 and I will do them at 5000, 15,000 & 25,000. Is there a filter available from other than VW? Nothing shows up on Rock Auto, Advanced or any other parts website.

almost if not ALL vehicles are imports more or less in our global -import economy!! VW is quick to void warranties, that said i used to DUMP my free dealer oil changes in 2001 1.8T jetta + save for my girlfriends car + i put in a real synthetic 10-30 + it was still doing great at 200 thou trade in!! of course NO DI or other fancy PITA tech then!
My point was we have been exclusively GM, Ford, Chrysler purchaser's, have never had an Asian or Euro vehicle in the family.

I'm going to be interested in your experience. I really like VW products but I've been afraid to buy one.

Why? Seems some people have a good experience with VWs. Some don't. Seems it's one extreme or the other.

The engine on a friend's GTI crapped out. What kind of car does that nowadays? Driven by a boy racer maybe? I don't think so as he's a 55 - 60 year old physician.

Another friend had the rear window of his Jetta shatter while it was sitting in the parking lot - out of warranty by miles but well within warranty by time - and VW wouldn't stand behind it at all. As if the distance travelled had anything to do with a window shattering. They could at least have given him a break on pricing or covered half the cost or something like that. But no, he was charged the full freight - and immediately dumped the car.

And so on.
The Jetta looks great but in all honesty if a Toyota or Honda would have been avaialbe he probably would have purchased that. Toyota said three to six months, Hyundai was adding $3000 market adjustment, VW was MSRP.

Assuming it’s the same filter as a 1.4t it’s a nice filter… usually about 11.00 at a dealer, I’ve cut some open so have a look.

Dealer oil is a mobil product (previously Castrol) and should be about 7.50qt/ltr.

The maintenance is probably a port addition unless they changed it, when we bought ours some had it and some did not, just like mats and bumperdillo which are also port installed.

Those engines are specified with VW 508 oil and 20,000miles intervals in the UK. VW are considered extremely reliable, and I've not heard many bad things about these engines. In fact, a colleague of mine has the 1.5TSi in a Skoda Kamiq and has had no issues with it at all.

Some mentioned the dealer oil changes, not an extra cost, is on the window sticker. I will split the difference and let the dealer do changes at 10,000, 20,000 & 30,000 and I will do them at 5000, 15,000 & 25,000.
I think more frequent oil changes are a good idea. On my BMW I changed the oil at half the interval recommended by the oil monitor (which was about 15,000 miles), but didn't reset the monitor. That way the other recommended services would still come up at the appropriate intervals.

On those "half way oil changes" I left the oil filter alone. I figured if BMW was recommending the filter for the full interval, it could run the full interval. And those filter cartridges always came out in good shape and clean.

The owners manual should give you a recommendation for the oil and service intervals.

Back