2022 Ford Escape vs 2022 Mazda 3

I guess Ford is not making cars but they seem to be taking what used to be SUV’s and making them into CUV’s and dare I say, cars? Enjoy.

82E0872A-2CBE-45B1-8B81-879E182E4182.jpg
F5EB4792-3497-4758-8F86-81186CB21E32.jpg

The sales of the new Escape are abysmal. The Escape was designed as a "bridge vehicle " (since they discontinued cars) because Ford wanted to keep buyers of their small cars-so the design was "softened". Consequently they failed to design a vehicle a buyer of any category would want.

Yeah, it just looks like a giant station wagon now. They could have saved the ”softened” one for Lincoln. Even if you are leaning it more toward the women, they still want some rugged looks to it. Heck, many love the Jeep Wangler. They need to beef it up...pronto....

The sales of the new Escape are abysmal. The Escape was designed as a "bridge vehicle " (since they discontinued cars) because Ford wanted to keep buyers of their small cars-so the design was "softened". Consequently they failed to design a vehicle a buyer of any category would want.

I didn't know that but I'll admit I don't see the "new" Escapes very often at all, and the old ones are everywhere. Out since 2020 I should be seeing more.

Yeah, it just looks like a giant station wagon now. They could have saved the ”softened” one for Lincoln. Even if you are leaning it more toward the women, they still want some rugged looks to it. Heck, many love the Jeep Wangler. They need to beef it up...pronto....
The Ford Bronco Sport is an Escape with a different and "Jeep-ier body.

I the meantime I bought an Ecosport. For under 17 grand BRAND NEW. Biggest "little" bargain out there.

People were avoiding them due to the 1.0L 3 cylinder Turbo engine. But If you select AWD in a Base L model - which are ANYTHING but sparsely equipped - you will get the Mazda/Ford high perfomance NA 2 litre engine with a nice planetary six speed AT. GM is also playing the Tiny Turbo engine game, I think the base trailblazer sport is a 1.2Litre and Equinox is a 1.5L.

A nice big bore/short stroke, big port heads, DOHC, VVT, stainless headers, 7000 RPM redline GOOD sounding engine.

I am sure people are turned off by the Subcompact CUV aspect of it - but I don't care.

Back to the subject.

If you want a more "rugged" looking 2021 Escape
simply select the Ford Bronco Sport:

broncosport trail rig.jpg

Last edited:

When I think giant station wagon I tend to think more along these lines.

I miss the days when you could get the good engine in the base model. No 2.0T in the S or SE. Essentially cramming 'stuff' down your throat to get the performance you want. This should be the era of greater choices in vehicles. But we all know why they do it. $$$$$

My Neighbor's mother had this Country Squire.

I recall we did a few Drive In nights in the back in the 60's. Triple feature.

As a kid, I never understood the Movie "Alfie", then I was scared by the movie "SHE",
then bored by "Return to Peyton Place".

It was fun going to the concession stand at intermission and getting those greasy burgers wrapped in foil and fries and oily sweet pancake-battered onion rings and hot dogs.

fcs.jpg

Saw an article online last week that said that 90% of 2020 Escapes that were built remain "unsold". Kind of explains the crazy high discounts and free financing deals on the 2020's right now.

I am not a Ford guy, but when I look for something to replace my 2015 Equinox I will be checking out the Escape and the Bronco Sport. The Escape will need to be either the Hybrid or the 2.0T. The Bronco Sport will need to be the 2.0T. Not interested in a 3-cyl in either one.

GM has basically abandoned the Equinox and Terrain so they are kind of forcing customers to look elsewhere. It is almost like they simply don't care about the small SUV market at this point.

Saw an article online last week that said that 90% of 2020 Escapes that were built remain "unsold". Kind of explains the crazy high discounts and free financing deals on the 2020's right now.

I am not a Ford guy, but when I look for something to replace my 2015 Equinox I will be checking out the Escape and the Bronco Sport. The Escape will need to be either the Hybrid or the 2.0T. The Bronco Sport will need to be the 2.0T. Not interested in a 3-cyl in either one.

GM has basically abandoned the Equinox and Terrain so they are kind of forcing customers to look elsewhere. It is almost like they simply don't care about the small SUV market at this point.

My neighbor just bought a brand new Equinox. Maybe they got a good deal on it?

Unfortunately, i haven't seen many Escapes either. I think they have their place but Ford didn't push this new design enough in the public advertisement arena in lieu of the Bronco's arrival.

Last edited:
Why do you say that GM has abandoned the Equinox and Terrain? It was the #3 selling compact SUV last year.

Why do you say that GM has abandoned the Equinox and Terrain? It was the #3 selling compact SUV last year.

For 2021, they stopped offering the 2.0T engine. They said they were going to resume offering it in 2022. Then they announced last week they are NOT going to be offering the 2.0T in the Equinox or Terrain at all moving forward. They are sticking with the 1.5L turbo in the Equinox and the Terrain, They also said they are not going to offer the 9-speed auto in the Equinox and stick with the 6-speed auto. The 9-speed auto will be offered in the Terrain. Basically, they make it sound like there is no further product development going on. The 2022 has a slight style update and that is it. So in a market where the competition is evolving, they are de-contenting. Typical GM routine when they plan to sunset a product.

Lots of good deals out there on the Equinox right now between discounts and 0% financing for up to 6 years.
The old grey mare ain't what she used to be.

I really think these tiny turbo engines are turning folks off - except for HONDA.
Because its a HONDA :) and those had major teething issue too - of course no one is immune with the compressed development schedules - most everything out the door is half baked these days.

Therein lies the reason for the Panther love - that car was Fully Baked with a Golden crust when FORD retired it.
A Great car made - through refinement.

I would have considered a last gen Equinox for the wife if they still had the 2.5 base engine - though I'm not a fan of the
"feminine" focus group styling or the fact the current car is now a compact CUV and not a mid sized SUV.

The old grey mare ain't what she used to be.

I really think these tiny turbo engines are turning folks off - except for HONDA.
Because its a HONDA :) and those had major teething issue too - of course no one is immune with the compressed development schedules - most everything out the door is half baked these days.

Therein lies the reason for the Panther love - that car was Fully Baked with a Golden crust when FORD retired it.
A Great car made - through refinement.

I would have considered a last gen Equinox for the wife if they still had the 2.5 base engine - though I'm not a fan of the
"feminine" focus group styling or the fact the current car is now a compact CUV and not a mid sized SUV.

The writing is kind of on the wall now, with automakers working more toward "electrified" propulsion solutions.

For example, with the Ford Escape the Titanium Hybrid is actually less expensive than the traditional ICE powered 2.0T Titanium. I would prefer the 2.0T myself, but I wouldn't hesitate test driving the hybrid just to see if maybe the lower price and substantial gas savings would offset the performance difference. Would I choose a hybrid over a 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo? Absolutely.

The new 2021 Toyota Venza is hybrid only, and the RAV4 hybrid and RAV4 Prime are in high demand. Kia and Hyundai are introducing hybrid versions of the Sorento and Santa Fe, as well as the Sportage and Tucson. Honda's CR-V hybrid is on lots, but not selling all that well (the hybrid system they use is not as efficient as the competition.)

Most hybrid vehicles are a stop-gap measure until all electric vehicles take over in 15-20 years, but I have pretty much come to the realization that my next car will most likely be a hybrid of some sort.

The writing is kind of on the wall now, with automakers working more toward "electrified" propulsion solutions.

For example, with the Ford Escape the Titanium Hybrid is actually less expensive than the traditional ICE powered 2.0T Titanium. I would prefer the 2.0T myself, but I wouldn't hesitate test driving the hybrid just to see if maybe the lower price and substantial gas savings would offset the performance difference. Would I choose a hybrid over a 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo? Absolutely.

The new 2021 Toyota Venza is hybrid only, and the RAV4 hybrid and RAV4 Prime are in high demand. Kia and Hyundai are introducing hybrid versions of the Sorento and Santa Fe, as well as the Sportage and Tucson. Honda's CR-V hybrid is on lots, but not selling all that well (the hybrid system they use is not as efficient as the competition.)

Most hybrid vehicles are a stop-gap measure until all electric vehicles take over in 15-20 years, but I have pretty much come to the realization that my next car will most likely be a hybrid of some sort.
Yea-but they are ugly non-descript jelly bean mobiles.....

Back