2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 53 AMG + GLE 450 review

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Figured I'd roll this into a single review, we drove two, both GLE's, but one was a coupe (we have determined we don't like the coupe, despite how sharp they look).

The GLE has a freshened interior with a massive pair of touchscreens, tactile controls (think old Blackberry cursor) on the wheel, as well as numerous wheel controls.

The GLE53 isn't a "real" AMG, so you don't have the huge price hit. It's basically just a warmed-over GLE 450 with more power and some more premium options standard.

Another shameless pilfering of the dealer's website, this is the one that caught our eye but we didn't drive, as it was in the showroom. We testdrove its coupe twin.
1628211507849.jpg

1628211531042.jpg

1628211549662.jpg

1628211601947.jpg

1628211614237.jpg

1628211645520.jpg

1628211658152.jpg

1628211674026.jpg

1628211690199.jpg

We took out this GLE 450:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13b0.jpg

And, despite almost a 100HP deficit between it and its AMG 53 sibling, found very little difference between them performance-wise 🤷‍♂️

The AMG has nicer seats and a bit more leather everywhere. It also has the active exhaust, but we quickly determined that unlike on the 63, on the 53, the active exhaust didn't promote the same enthusiasm for its use. The I6 just doesn't sound great.

The powertrain in both is VERY similar to the FCA e-torque setup where you get a small hybrid assist that adds a considerable torque boost when needed. It uses regen braking and the display shows you if it is boosting or charging. There's no plug-in component, the battery is VERY small.

Both have the same turbo 3.0L I6, but the AMG is 450HP, while the 450 is 362HP.

Pros:
- Great ride, solid handling
- Beautiful displays
- They've re-introduced analog climate controls that make things MUCH easier to quickly adjust
- Controls on the wheel are excellent and super convenient, this is a huge improvement
- Infotainment feels fresh and modern, not 15 years old
- Seats in the AMG were expectedly fantastic, very good in the 450.
- Sufficient power, smooth delivery
- Cavernous trunk/rear cargo area
- Backup camera is phenomenal
- Wireless phone charging
- Fantastic HUD
- Fantastic stereo

Would make an utterly superb touring vehicle.

Cons:
- The active exhaust on the AMG does NOT sound great with the I6
- No wireless CarPlay??!!
- The AMG doesn't have a heated wheel?!?! though apparently you can option it so it does, but none of the ones they have are optioned in that manner.
- The ARTICO/DINAMICA seat material in the 450 doesn't feel as nice/upscale as the leather in the AMG

The cons list is expectedly short, it's a VERY nice vehicle, trimmed either way. Sticker on the 450 is 94K, the AMG53 is $110K in Canadian pesos.

The woman in the pic is very close to the steering wheel. That can't be comfortable for her.
She's 4'11", that's what is comfortable for her, lol, that's my wife. On the truck, which has adjustable pedals, she always has them all the way up, but still sits VERY close to the wheel.

Enjoy it brotha. A good friend of mine has one. It is an impressive vehicle. I really like the dash layout.

Enjoy it brotha. A good friend of mine has one. It is an impressive vehicle. I really like the dash layout.
We are just looking at the moment, next we'll be looking at some X5's. The German marques don't seem to be suffering as much due to the chip shortage as the domestic marques from what I'm seeing.

We are just looking at the moment, next we'll be looking at some X5's. The German marques don't seem to be suffering as much due to the chip shortage as the domestic marques from what I'm seeing.
2021 X5 twin turbo V8 is my siren call....keeps me awake at night! I fight it off as best I can. Just get the Benzo!!! Or suffer the 100k X5 I want...hope that affliction does not hit you!

Figured I'd roll this into a single review, we drove two, both GLE's, but one was a coupe (we have determined we don't like the coupe, despite how sharp they look).

The GLE has a freshened interior with a massive pair of touchscreens, tactile controls (think old Blackberry cursor) on the wheel, as well as numerous wheel controls.

The GLE53 isn't a "real" AMG, so you don't have the huge price hit. It's basically just a warmed-over GLE 450 with more power and some more premium options standard.

Another shameless pilfering of the dealer's website, this is the one that caught our eye but we didn't drive, as it was in the showroom. We testdrove its coupe twin.
View attachment 66039
View attachment 66040
View attachment 66041
View attachment 66042
View attachment 66043
View attachment 66044
View attachment 66045
View attachment 66046
View attachment 66047

We took out this GLE 450:
View attachment 66048

And, despite almost a 100HP deficit between it and its AMG 53 sibling, found very little difference between them performance-wise 🤷‍♂️

The AMG has nicer seats and a bit more leather everywhere. It also has the active exhaust, but we quickly determined that unlike on the 63, on the 53, the active exhaust didn't promote the same enthusiasm for its use. The I6 just doesn't sound great.

The powertrain in both is VERY similar to the FCA e-torque setup where you get a small hybrid assist that adds a considerable torque boost when needed. It uses regen braking and the display shows you if it is boosting or charging. There's no plug-in component, the battery is VERY small.

Both have the same turbo 3.0L I6, but the AMG is 450HP, while the 450 is 362HP.

Pros:
- Great ride, solid handling
- Beautiful displays
- They've re-introduced analog climate controls that make things MUCH easier to quickly adjust
- Controls on the wheel are excellent and super convenient, this is a huge improvement
- Infotainment feels fresh and modern, not 15 years old
- Seats in the AMG were expectedly fantastic, very good in the 450.
- Sufficient power, smooth delivery
- Cavernous trunk/rear cargo area
- Backup camera is phenomenal
- Wireless phone charging
- Fantastic HUD
- Fantastic stereo

Would make an utterly superb touring vehicle.

Cons:
- The active exhaust on the AMG does NOT sound great with the I6
- No wireless CarPlay??!!
- The AMG doesn't have a heated wheel?!?! though apparently you can option it so it does, but none of the ones they have are optioned in that manner.
- The ARTICO/DINAMICA seat material in the 450 doesn't feel as nice/upscale as the leather in the AMG

The cons list is expectedly short, it's a VERY nice vehicle, trimmed either way. Sticker on the 450 is 94K, the AMG53 is $110K in Canadian pesos.
I like this one much better than the other one. That other one looks too stumpy. They remind me of a van and they forgot to install "the van". Like they f'd up and forgot to finish making the car. Now this one would look sweet with an off-road package on it(y)

2021 X5 twin turbo V8 is my siren call....keeps me awake at night! I fight it off as best I can. Just get the Benzo!!! Or suffer the 100k X5 I want...hope that affliction does not hit you!
@mightymousetech has warned me about the X5M/X6M V8 to the point where I'm afraid of it, lol.

They DO however, offer a plug-in hybrid! It's the X5 xDrive45e and I was immediately intrigued and my wife, traumatized from the e-tron experience immediately screamed NO!!!!!! THEY MAKE A REGULAR ONE, WE LOOK AT THE REGULAR ONE! :ROFLMAO:

Looks awesome in black! (y) Black cars just look really classy! Pearl white, red, and black and my fave colors on cars.

I'm a sucker for a black shiny Benz, generally. I would agree with your assessment, and choose the 450 over the AMG (for the price).

Then you can call up OETuning here and get the same power as in the AMG for less than $1200 :D

The older 6.3 engines up to about 2011 had the weaker head bolts so were known to blow the head gasket requiring a new engine. But yeah, the AMG engine was about 25k. Regular engines were in the 10-15k range. They do sell extended warranties though. You can get the MB one which would be good for 7 years 100k and you can usually buy it online from another MB dealer that discounts the warranty.

Back