2021 Coke Zero Sugar 400 at Daytona International Speedway

I went to my first race in 1967 at Laguna Seca. Been watching almost all forms of it since, including NASCAR.

But these repeated final lap crashes I see keep seeing in NASCAR are unacceptable. I shake my head with both amazement and contempt. Races like last night are nothing more than demolition derbys. It makes the sport look ridiculous.

Scott

Scott, you've got me beat by a few years. My first Cup race was in 1973 at Riverside Raceway. Since then, I've been to over 75 Cup races around the country. Most of them either in the pits or a suite.
In regards to last Sunday's race; I couldn't agree with you more! When I was younger, I was amazed at the talent required to run at what were the "Plate Tracks": Daytona and Talladega. Today, I think races at these tracks are a complete waste of equipment and money. They aren't a "race" at all. It's solely about survival. Completely "ridiculous" as you say. The only upside to them is that anybody can win one. (I was really pulling for either Buescher or Corey LaJoie to win. (BTW: Buescher was DQ'd after the race due to track-bar mount issue.
However...(there's always a "however" in life) next week's race is one of my favorites; The Southern 500. Additionally, I like what Nascar has done this year with more road courses and short tracks. I'm still not quite sure what to think about dirt at Bristol???

BTW: that race in 1973 was won by Mark Donohue. :)

I had heard that race coverage was starting at 6pm. I tuned in about 730-8pm and no race. I knew it was on NBC but local DC stations had the Redskins-Ravens pre season game on 2 channels/networks. ABC and NBC. My Dish tv guide showed the race on NBC at 9pm. 9pm comes and they are still flapping their jaws about the unwatchable so called game. The race finally came on toward the end of the 2nd stage. I was PIxxED.
It was a good race....you didn't know who was going to win. What's wrong with the Toyotas this year?? No speed.

Scott, you've got me beat by a few years. My first Cup race was in 1973 at Riverside Raceway. Since then, I've been to over 75 Cup races around the country. Most of them either in the pits or a suite.
In regards to last Sunday's race; I couldn't agree with you more! When I was younger, I was amazed at the talent required to run at what were the "Plate Tracks": Daytona and Talladega. Today, I think races at these tracks are a complete waste of equipment and money. They aren't a "race" at all. It's solely about survival. Completely "ridiculous" as you say. The only upside to them is that anybody can win one. (I was really pulling for either Buescher or Corey LaJoie to win. (BTW: Buescher was DQ'd after the race due to track-bar mount issue.
However...(there's always a "however" in life) next week's race is one of my favorites; The Southern 500. Additionally, I like what Nascar has done this year with more road courses and short tracks. I'm still not quite sure what to think about dirt at Bristol???

BTW: that race in 1973 was won by Mark Donohue. :)
RoadDukie, I think part of the issue with NASCAR is that they are no longer "stock cars". These current gen cars have survival cells - as they should. I'm not for people dying or being permanently maimed. But one of the consequences of modern race car safety (and track safety) is that drivers take far more risks than they used to.

Also too, restrictor plates. Get rid of them and get rid of the rear spoilers. Keep the roof flaps and add as many as you need to keep them on the ground should they spin. My point is, make these cars evil monsters to drive. That'll separate the winners from the loses, and the survival cells will still keep them safe.

Should that formula be adopted, Harvick or Hamlin might win every race.

Scott

I had heard that race coverage was starting at 6pm. I tuned in about 730-8pm and no race. I knew it was on NBC but local DC stations had the Redskins-Ravens pre season game on 2 channels/networks. ABC and NBC. My Dish tv guide showed the race on NBC at 9pm. 9pm comes and they are still flapping their jaws about the unwatchable so called game. The race finally came on toward the end of the 2nd stage. I was PIxxED.
It was a good race....you didn't know who was going to win. What's wrong with the Toyotas this year?? No speed.
I meant to share the tweet from Bob Pockrass about that. The stations which showed the pre-season games should have moved coverage to another NBC affiliated channel. A few markets they were only showing the race on the NBC Sports app.

I didn't go, and I live here! Parking is rediculous, $40 -$60 for the race. Not a fan of stage racing, but I suppose it's here to stay.
Watched it on TV, didn't care for the ending.

Back