2021 Acura TLX Type S's 3.0L V-6 Makes 355 HP, 354 LB-FT

More companies will go with I6, and they have a lot of catching up to do with BMW.
Reason is that from cost cutting perspective, I6 makes much more sense since 4 and 3cyl engines could be derived from it (which BMW is doing for years). MB went back to I6, FCA is going that route, Mazda now. Companies like Toyota will borrow engines like they do from BMW as they need V6 for minivans etc.
However, what Mazda is doing is using opportunity. Honda could offer TLX at least with longitudinal engine and RWD. Toyota could make IS more fun (though they did achieve to make RWD vehicle that understeers like FWD vehicle), but they do not. Mazda can only survive if they go bold and where other are not going.
Mazda truly impressed me. My 2015 cx5 was very meh, in most ways. When I heard mazda was going upscale, I laughed, but my 2019 cx5 GTR honestly pulls it off. Very impressed with their turn about. I think there is a very good chance of them nailing this move.

Mazda truly impressed me. My 2015 cx5 was very meh, in most ways. When I heard mazda was going upscale, I laughed, but my 2019 cx5 GTR honestly pulls it off. Very impressed with their turn about. I think there is a very good chance of them nailing this move.
They will definitely capture some audience that Acura, Lexus could have. Are they going to play in the big league? No! For that it takes much more than offering well thought of design for decent price. They will play in big league if they can set trends, innovate to the point where others take that innovation. That is what separates big players, true luxury makes from others.
From preservation stand point and making sure they have good future, yeah. But those that want latest gadgets etc. are going elsewhere, and Mazda is very well aware of that.

They will definitely capture some audience that Acura, Lexus could have. Are they going to play in the big league? No! For that it takes much more than offering well thought of design for decent price. They will play in big league if they can set trends, innovate to the point where others take that innovation. That is what separates big players, true luxury makes from others.
From preservation stand point and making sure they have good future, yeah. But those that want latest gadgets etc. are going elsewhere, and Mazda is very well aware of that.
Mazda will not compete due to branding prestige, but I find their current offerings on par with vehicles in the same segment from euro brands, feature for feature. Once you get past about a $10k price disparity though, they lag, but what do you expect? At some point you're paying for more than a propeller badge. That point seems to be a out the 10k usd delta.

Almost positive this is transverse, since the TSX is based on the Accord.

I think I know where you’re going, and I agree with you.

When will Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti design and sell cars that are legitimate performance competitors to some of the German sports sedans?

(And, by that, I mean, longitudinal engines and RWD and world-class handling.)

I believe the only Lexus car that is transversely mounted is the ES. The IS, GS, LS, RC and LC are all longitudinal. I agree Lexus is still lacking in world-class handling!

Mazda will not compete due to branding prestige, but I find their current offerings on par with vehicles in the same segment from euro brands, feature for feature. Once you get past about a $10k price disparity though, they lag, but what do you expect? At some point you're paying for more than a propeller badge. That point seems to be a out the 10k usd delta.
Yes sure, Mazda always offers some 200+ patents with each model.
Bentley and RR should watch carefully, bcs. Mazda is coming.

I believe the only Lexus car that is transversely mounted is the ES. The IS, GS, LS, RC and LC are all longitudinal. I agree Lexus is still lacking in world-class handling!
Yes, ES is only transverse among car line ups. But, execution of rest of the models is not near European competitors when it comes to performance.

Did you miss the $10k delta I mentioned?
I am not referring at all about money. I am talking feature to feature. You are not buying just a badge, regardless whether vehicles is BMW X1, MB CLA, whatever. There is much more to it.
Same goes for TLX. If people think they got same thing as BMW 3 series, well, maybe should just stick to Acura regardless of how much money they can shell out.

I am not referring at all about money. I am talking feature to feature. You are not buying just a badge, regardless whether vehicles is BMW X1, MB CLA, whatever. There is much more to it.
Same goes for TLX. If people think they got same thing as BMW 3 series, well, maybe should just stick to Acura regardless of how much money they can shell out.
You have to include the price point, though, or the whole thing makes no sense. Of course $50k buys more features than $30k, for example. How can this be argued?

You have to include the price point, though, or the whole thing makes no sense. Of course $50k buys more features than $30k, for example. How can this be argued?
So, basically we came to conclusion that people buy Mazda not bcs. Mazda offers better and more sophisticated vehicle, but just good enough vehicle.
Thanx for clarifying that. That was my argument.

So, basically we came to conclusion that people buy Mazda not bcs. Mazda offers better and more sophisticated vehicle, but just good enough vehicle.
Thanx for clarifying that. That was my argument.
I'm saying that mazda has parity with euro vehicles costing about $10k more across some of their lineup. Once the delta grows beyond 10k, the euro vehicles pull ahead due to cost of material/widgets/etc. Fit, finish, a d feature for feature, mazda wins within that delta. Again, go past it, and it allows for more hardware, and a market mazda isnt competing in at this time.

A good example is the x1 vs cx5. No trim level of x1 would tempt me over my cx5, due to being more basic and not any better performing, but move into the x3s upper trim levels, you hit the 10k+ delta, and it becomes more feature rich and better overall, so long as long term ownership foibles arent considered.

More in depth discussion:

Last edited:
Their last few offerings (crv, rdx, basically all the stuff other than the 2.0 accord and type r civic) havent really impressed me.

The current Si and Passport do for me, as well as the others you mention.

355 HP from a turbo 3.0L V6 nowadays is not much of an achievement considering there's plenty of N/A V6's pushing close to 300 HP. Not to say the 2021 TLX is not a fine car, just that getting 65 HP from turbo charging a modern V6 isn't really something to write home about.

355 HP from a turbo 3.0L V6 nowadays is not much of an achievement considering there's plenty of N/A V6's pushing close to 300 HP. Not to say the 2021 TLX is not a fine car, just that getting 65 HP from turbo charging a modern V6 isn't really something to write home about.
While I agree 100%, it's also in a Japanese vehicle, and the only other one on the market that I am aware of is the GT-R Nissan.

Back