2020 vehicle is shown as a "manufacturer buy-back" with 178,000 miles on odometer?

OK, there has to be something that I'm missing here. This 2020 vehicle appears to be a manufacturer buy-back out of California. That isn't so unusual.

What seems a bit unusual is that it has over 178,000 miles on it. Exactly when does the liability of the manufacturer end? (or does it ever end at all in California?) Apparently, it must be very easy to force a buy back in CA.

This Illinois dealer loves to buy manufacturer buy-backs that come out of California. They've been buying them for several months now.

(On a side note, someone was actually putting 60,000 miles a year on this truck.)

Carfax shows service intervals. Looks like they were just putting on a ton of miles. What's so strange? Plenty of delivery style jobs rack up crazy miles.

Edit: I see you're saying it's weird the buyback was done with so many miles. Who knows. Maybe it was a GM employee or something. Probably not possible for us to find out.

Last edited:
That's one of the strangest things I have ever seen on a Carfax. It's possible it was used for a VERY LONG COMMUTE (not that uncommon in California) or a delivery vehicle for a guys business. I can't explain why it would be reacquired by the manufacturer with those kind of miles. My only guess is if driving these type of miles is the norm for this guy-and he has purchased all GM vehicles-they may have bought it back to make him happy.

OK, there has to be something that I'm missing here. This 2020 vehicle appears to be a manufacturer buy-back out of California. That isn't so unusual.

What seems a bit unusual is that it has over 178,000 miles on it. Exactly when does the liability of the manufacturer end? (or does it ever end at all in California?) Apparently, it must be very easy to force a buy back in CA.

This Illinois dealer loves to buy manufacturer buy-backs that come out of California. They've been buying them for several months now.

(On a side note, someone was actually putting 60,000 miles a year on this truck.)

I'm not a lawyer and lemon laws differ state to state but to my understanding, as long as the initial problem was documented within the first 18 months or 18k miles, and the manufacturer continues to confirm and attempt to fix the issue, there is no limit on how many miles you can drive. Friend of mine was in a similar situation and drove long distances for work. Had a oil leak concern before it hit 10k miles. Returned back and forth to and from the dealer for oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, front main seal, etc over a long period of time. Vehicle ended up with 120k miles and 3 years of ownership before it was bought back. This was in Georgia.

Last edited:
While the mileage isn't that unusual, I was looking at a 2020 Toyota C-HR with 186K this week that went for more than I want to pay, it is unusual for the manufacturer to buy it back. Maybe the owner was a business that buys a dozen trucks a year from that dealer and they want to keep him happy. And I don't think this means he was given back the original $50-60K sales price either. Maybe retail or close to it so they break even in the end.

Courier service perhaps?

In Colorado dealerships have three or four tries before they buy back a vehicle but fro. My understanding when I sold cars the dealership has to "Lemon law" the vehicle and disclose this when re-sold. Something tells me that this doesn't always happen.

You can't trust any of the information in Carfax. Not only that, if they do make an error, it's nearly impossible to fix. They certainly won't let YOU make changes, whether you have an account or not.
To be fair, the blame for the error does not always rest with them. In my case, a simple key in error during a tire rotation now has my Mercedes listed as having 115,000+ miles! In actuality, it has 17,320 on it.
To make matters worse, businesses like dealerships and AUTO INSURANCE companies rely on this info to set rates and prices, not a good scenario.
My insurance agent said she does know how to get the errors corrected, but it beyond the capability of owners. She added that a photograph of a newspaper beside the odometer is required.
Just wait till AI takes over!

Not only that, if they do make an error, it's nearly impossible to fix. They certainly won't let YOU make changes, whether you have an account or not.
Not really correct. There is an online form to fill out if you believe there is an error on your car's Carfax report. I've had at least three corrections made for anything from an incorrect odometer reading to the number of owners. It may take a few weeks to verify the information though.

Of course they won't let YOU make changes. That would be like if you were able to get into your own credit reports and make changes.

For certain events, Carfax reporting is notorious for being laggy - perhaps this was a buyback early on, but the information did not show up until later.

Not really correct. There is an online form to fill out if you believe there is an error on your car's Carfax report. I've had at least three corrections made for anything from an incorrect odometer reading to the number of owners. It may take a few weeks to verify the information though.

Of course they won't let YOU make changes. That would be like if you were able to get into your own credit reports and make changes.
Thanks, when I have time I'll look for that form.

Back