2020 Transit Connect Transmission fluid swap

Greetings!

I have a 2020 Transit Connect, 2.0L, has the 8F35 transmission and is spec'd to use the Mercon ULV, which only exists at the dealership.
Of course the manual says it's a lifetime fluid, and it is, if the van is never drive over 50k in its lifetime.
I run M1 5w20 EP, and have changed the oil twice already, and without a rack.. it's a big hassle because of the shield piece.

My van was purchased 10/31/2020 and 10/31/2021 the miles are 30,007. Yeah, I drive a lot and also carry a lot of weight in it, constantly,

Question is.. does anyone know where a tranny fill plug is? I'd like to put my vaccuum to work and suck out as much fluid as i can and refill with the exact same amount.
I don't want to crack into a cooler line because if I can't put fluid into it.. it'll be stuck in the driveway.
I've called 2 transmission shop, of which both of them not only told me they have no idea, they also told me to not bring it to them.
I've searched BITOG before I posted this in case its already been addressed but didn't find anything pertaining to this,especially a simple drain & refill.
On Youtube there's a quick 2min video of a guy pulling what looks like a vent tube off the top of the tranny, next to the shift cable, and a bolt, and puts a BG products p/n for an adapter. Problem is, this video was for a 2018 Connect.
On my 2020, I definitely need to pull the airbox to even get a glimpse of the topside of the tranny, which I haven't done yet.

So question.. should that vent tube be there, which it's held on with a spring clamp and a rubber hose fitting which should slide right off... would it be a possibility to snake a piece of clear plastic tube down to the oil pan to siphon whatever I can siphon? the other hole with the bolt looks really narrow, and I think that might be a pressure port of which I doubt a tube would get to far in there?

Would it be safe to add fluid down that vent port?

Thanks in advance!
If there's a thread about this, my apologies, I'll try and look for it!

I have a 2012 transit connect with 180k miles on it now. I've done 3 suck and refills on mine. I took it out of the transmission dipstick tube with my pella oil extractor.

I'm really sick of Ford and their "lifetime" transmission fluid claims. Lots of Ford Transit (not Connect) owners are experiencing a shudder from the torque converter. The shudder is being caused by old transmission fluid that owners don't change, because we follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance intervals.

My Transit was shuddering terribly at 100k miles so I took it to the dealer. They recommended replacing the transmission with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of $6,000 or a new torque converter at a cost of $2,000. I almost fell for it until I did more research on the Transit owner forums. I went back to the dealer and requested a tranny flush and fill. The service manager told me "it might help a little" or it might "do nothing at all". Well, 10k miles later and the transmission runs like it's new. The next transmission fluid change I'm doing myself so that I can drop the pan, put in a new filter, clean everything out and refill with fresh fluid.

Last edited:
I'm really sick of Ford and their "lifetime" transmission fluid claims. Lots of Ford Transit (not Connect) owners are experiencing a shudder from the torque converter. The shudder is being caused by old transmission fluid that owners don't change, because we follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance intervals.

My Transit was shuddering terribly at 100k miles so I took it to the dealer. They recommended replacing the transmission with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of $6,000 or a new torque converter at a cost of $2,000. I almost fell for it until I did more research on the Transit owner forums. I went back to the dealer and requested a tranny flush and fill. The service manager told me "it might help a little" or it might "do nothing at all". Well, 10k miles later and the transmission runs like it's new. The next transmission fluid change I'm doing myself so that I can drop the pan, put in a new filter, clean everything out and refill with fresh fluid.
I completely agree with you about lifetime fluid. Its just funny because people on here complain about "stealerships" selling unneeded services, which I generally agree with, and then there is this situation.

Yep, Same with the 10R80's, they call for a 150k fluid change. No how, no way am I(or did I) wait that long to start doing D&F's and no way will I wait that long to do the filter either.

FWIW, Valvoline has a ULV available as well, but it is about double the cost of the Mercon ULV. I've been hoping that as more of these ULV transmissions start to get serviced that some more choices will appear.

This is one reason we're going to switch to the BG Products our first and last trans fluid flush & fill. Only trouble is, the BG products locations site, is not isolating actually BG products and services locations.

I have a 2012 transit connect with 180k miles on it now. I've done 3 suck and refills on mine. I took it out of the transmission dipstick tube with my pella oil extractor.
Newer models do not have a dipstick per se. there’s a little plug inside the wheelwell that you have to remove, and the level measurement is on that. A pump is definitely required for these models. I have the same van as the OP.

We finally located a shop willing to change the current ford/motorcraft fluid in the van to the BG Products fluid and it's AAMCO. AAMCO cooperate contacted me the other day and set up a locate AAMCO willing to do this for us. But we haven't had a chance to run over there because of pressings matters with the new tires.

We finally located a shop willing to change the current ford/motorcraft fluid in the van to the BG Products fluid and it's AAMCO. AAMCO cooperate contacted me the other day and set up a locate AAMCO willing to do this for us. But we haven't had a chance to run over there because of pressings matters with the new tires.
On a ULV equipped car?

The reason I ask, is I'm not aware of BG having a ULV fluid. Might not be as critical in the FWD platforms, but using a higher viscosity fluid in the 10r80's tends to jack with the shifting of the unit.

Back