2020 RAV4 Hybrid - oil options

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I guess people are suggesting 0w-16 won't protect the engine.

People keep suggesting this, toyotas continue to last 200, 300, 400K miles.

I feel like TOYOTA is suggesting this by often adding the subtle disclaimer:

"An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions"

It casts doubt on their confidence as 0w-16 being a robust product. Various models which used thicker viscosities didn't have this disclaimer.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX

I feel like TOYOTA is suggesting this by often adding the subtle disclaimer:

"An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions"

It casts doubt on their confidence as 0w-16 being a robust product. Various models which used thicker viscosities didn't have this disclaimer.

I have seen that disclaimer for years, not just on 0w-16 equipped cars. I think it is a standard disclaimer now.

I'd go with Mobil 1 0w16 or Mobil 1 EP 0w20. I'd only go up a grade as the car ages.

I am curious to know about any Toyota engine that has gone 400,000 miles exclusively on 0w16. Can you or anyone else point me to any examples?

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I am curious to know about any Toyota engine that has gone 400,000 miles exclusively on 0w16. Can you or anyone else point me to any examples?

Probably zero... this is a relatively new engine.

I know some vehicles used this oil in Japan, but you don't often see that quantity of miles on JDM cars.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
It's been covered here by people like Gokhan and others a million times, but the reason those other oil weights are specified in other countries is oil availability. Many countries don't have 0w-20 and other weights readily available or even at all. So, what are they supposed to do, run no oil?

I think Gokhan and others are wrong on that point, and I've said so whenever I see that "availability" myth. In Australia and New Zealand you can use anything from 0W16 to 15W40 in a new Toyota hybrid, and in the shops the shelves are full of all oil viscosity grades from 0W16 to 20W50, it's not for lack of choice or availability.

I just went to the Valvoline Europe web page and looked up the oil for a RAV4 Hybrid and they gave a number of recommendations including: 0W20, 5W30 and 15W40. I don't think France, Germany and England are short of quality oil.
(Link)

Sure some countries have a limited oil selection, but many are the opposite and have a good selection of oils and Toyota is happy for them to use whatever they want from 0W16 to 15W40 within cold starting ability of their climate.

OP, I vote for 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in summer, in a good name brand synthetic. Job done.

Originally Posted by SR5
It's been covered here by people like Gokhan and others a million times, but the reason those other oil weights are specified in other countries is oil availability. Many countries don't have 0w-20 and other weights readily available or even at all. So, what are they supposed to do, run no oil?

I think Gokhan and others are wrong on that point, and I've said so whenever I see that "availability" myth. In Australia and New Zealand you can use anything from 0W16 to 15W40 in a new Toyota hybrid, and in the shops the shelves are full of all oil viscosity grades from 0W16 to 20W50, it's not for lack of choice or availability.

I just went to the Valvoline Europe web page and looked up the oil for a RAV4 Hybrid and they gave a number of recommendations including: 0W20, 5W30 and 15W40. I don't think France, Germany and England are short of quality oil.
(Link)

Sure some countries have a limited oil selection, but many are the opposite and have a good selection of oils and Toyota is happy for them to use whatever they want from 0W16 to 15W40 within cold starting ability of their climate.

OP, I vote for 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in summer, in a good name brand synthetic. Job done.

There's a different side to the story. It's environment / pollution-related. It's gasoline-additves related. It's oil additives related.
We need to think about our kids and grandkids. They have to live on this earth in the next 100 years. USA cares more than Australia.

Originally Posted by SR5

(Link)

A lot of countries in South and Central America it is very, very difficult to find 0w-20 and others. There are other continents besides Europe, North America and Australia.

So it's not an availability issue in Europe and Oz but they still don't mind them using 15w-40. If viscosity were so important wouldn't they make sure that in those continents that have a broad selection they'd be more stringent on 0w-16 or 0w-20 use?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

We need to think about our kids and grandkids. They have to live on this earth in the next 100 years. USA cares more than Australia.

Thank you for your care and leadership.

Originally Posted by SR5

(Link)

For those interested here is a picture from the Toyota Camry Hybrid owners manual, taken by Shannow in 2018 when driving a new rental in Australia.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4890579/1

It lists 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 and 15W40 as being suitable for the engine.

Back