2020 RAV4 Hybrid - oil options

This is nothing new... I am probably like many members here who would trade engine longevity for fractional gains in MPG. That is my goal.

I am trying to figure out which oil would be best for protection and longevity.

50% in town / 50% highway and high speed interstates across the Southwestern USA.

Here are the usual responses...
  • clearances, tolerances, variable oil pumps, blah, blah, blah...
  • the car was "designed" for it
  • they have been using it in Japan for years
  • people used to think 0w-20 was too thin
  • your engine will outlast the car
  • just use what your manufacturer recommends, etc...

I am not trying to out-think the manufacturer... here are the allowable oil specs for this identical car outside of the US border:
  • 0w-16
  • 0w-20
  • 5w-30
  • 10w-30
  • 15w-40

The "clearances and tolerances" nonsense argument doesn't really apply when they allow a 15w-40

I am not against 0w-16 if it's the best, but what would you use ?

Valvoline 0w40 if it floats your boat
05.gif

5w30, 10w30, 0w40, 5w40,15w40. Depending one climate and service. You can run the lower viscosities but you won't realize much difference. You should also consider the fun factor. Lower viscosities tend to rev quicker in small engines when less than full operational temperature is reached. So if you like to feel "zippy" on short trios then lower viscosities may work well if all you do is shorter trips. But with a hybrid you have automatic torque assist so that isn't really a consideration and my initial thought stands.

It's spec'd for 0w16 isn't it? At the end of the day, I think any of the oils you listed will result in equal longevity so why not use the thin stuff, if you can find it, and reap whatever savings you can. Maybe go up a viscosity after 200,000 miles.

So I remember seeing on the Mobil 1 0w-16 bottles that you will get a 2% fuel economy increase vs the 0w-20. Is that noticeable? No. The 0w20 viscosities seem to be pretty stout oils from what I've seen in the VOA and UOA forums. Mobil 1 AFE or even better, Mobil 1 ESP X2 are both perfectly fine.

Interestingly enough, the Idemitsu website recommends Zepro 0w20 with Molybdenum vs the 0w16 I thought they would recommend. The Zepro has some high NOACK although I don't think that's nearly as important for a N/A engine such as the one in the RAV4. If NOACK is something you're concerned about, then they also sell a normal non-moly version with a much better NOACK of 11.6%. Idemitsu 0w20

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
What are the allowable oil specs in your new owners manual? Does it say anything about 'recommend' or 'require' on the same page?

They say: "If 0W-16 is not available, 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it MUST be replaced with 0W-16 at the next oil change."

As if it's so critical.

If I bought the same car 15 minutes south of the border, well then 15w-40 is ok... haha

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
What are the allowable oil specs in your new owners manual? Does it say anything about 'recommend' or 'require' on the same page?

They say: "If 0W-16 is not available, 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it MUST be replaced with 0W-16 at the next oil change."

As if it's so critical.

If I bought the same car 15 minutes south of the border, well then 15w-40 is ok... haha

Stick to the language in your owners manual - until the warranty expires anyways.
Member Gokhan is someone here that you should seek for advice. He has a hybrid. Near the top of the page reads "User List'. Click on the letter G and look for his screen name link. Send him a private message. He gives real good advice.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
I am not trying to out-think the manufacturer... here are the allowable oil specs for this identical car outside of the US border:
  • 0w-16
  • 0w-20
  • 5w-30
  • 10w-30
  • 15w-40

The "clearances and tolerances" nonsense argument doesn't really apply when they allow a 15w-40

Yeah. Buy a Rav4 just north of the border and 0w-16 required. Buy it just south of the border and any of these are allowed.

Nothing more than CAFE BS.

If you're driving in southern US, any oil in that list is fine.

My PPF guy has a 2018 Camry XSE with 60K+. The first two oil changes were done at the dealer under Toyotacare, the ones at 30K, 40K, 50K and 60K were done by me using M1 0W-16. At the most recent oil change it was 1/2 - 2/3 qt low. Didn't notice any consumption at the prior changes.

I personally would use the 0w20 while under warranty and then switch to 5w30 after. 0w20 is easier to find and still within spec.

It's been covered here by people like Gokhan and others a million times, but the reason those other oil weights are specified in other countries is oil availability. Many countries don't have 0w-20 and other weights readily available or even at all. So, what are they supposed to do, run no oil?

Run the 0w-20 and forget it. I've ran it for years in various Toyota's including V8 Tundras and never had any engine problems.

I guess people are suggesting 0w-16 won't protect the engine.

People keep suggesting this, toyotas continue to last 200, 300, 400K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
My PPF guy has a 2018 Camry XSE with 60K+. The first two oil changes were done at the dealer under Toyotacare, the ones at 30K, 40K, 50K and 60K were done by me using M1 0W-16. At the most recent oil change it was 1/2 - 2/3 qt low. Didn't notice any consumption at the prior changes.

Are you planning to use 0w20 on it next OCI?

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by The Critic

Are you planning to use 0w20 on it next OCI?

No

If I were really interested in what other people had to say, I wouldn't phrase my question in such a way that it sounds like you really only want answers that agree with my already formulated answer.

The Toyota factory fill is very good compared to other 0W20's. I run Motul Ecolite 0W20 in both of my parents 17 Corollas and they seem to like it, no burnoff. However, the Motul Hybrid is a 0W20 Low SAP/High HTHS vs the Ecolite (Low SAPS, Low HTHS), I may try that next since it sthe same price.

Back