2020 Kia Forte Amsoil OE 5w20 4,546 mi

I thought I had seen some copper looking flakes in the oil drain pan but maybe not. Anyone know what’s up with the iron in this sample? Little less miles than last time but higher 🧐

Attachments

• 58BDA613-29D2-4E09-9D91-45B839C159F4.jpeg
    58BDA613-29D2-4E09-9D91-45B839C159F4.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 208
I'd agree with the comment in the report. Both UOAs are right around Universal Averages. There will be normal variation and this may be what's going on. First report shows 1.67 ppm iron per 1000 miles while the 2nd shows 2.86 ppm per 1000 miles. I don't know how many miles the Universal Averages for this engine are based on (you can email Blackstone, they'll tell you), but it appears that they are right in between your two results. I just checked all my reports and for 4 different engines the Universal Average for iron varies from 1.5 ppm to 2.93 ppm per 1000 miles.

Use a 5w-30 for a couple UOAs. And if you're not happy with the UOA data, use a high HTHS 5w30.

This doesn't look like Amsoil OE to me. Any additives added?

What oil filter?

I wouldn't worry about the UOA. I would worry more about Hyundai/Kia's engine quality and issues over the years.

I have Kendall 5w30 in it now. I also did not add any additives.and I used a kia oil filter.

That is NOT Amsoil OE; way too many additives, If you know you put Amsoil OE in it, you have been given the wrong sample results!

That is NOT Amsoil OE; way too many additives, If you know you put Amsoil OE in it, you have been given the wrong sample results!
I am gonna get a hold of Blackstone and see if they gave me the wrong results. I have never run Amsoil OE before and was a little surprised about how much additive was in it.

Got a hold of Blackstone and they did get the oil results mixed up. Unfortunately I waited too long to get ahold of them and they had already dumped my sample, I did get a refund though.

Curious to see what they say. I have about 49k on my 2.0L Forte and run strictly 7500 OCI's due to the fact that we do 80% highway.

Just Blackstone doing Blackstone things. This isn't an uncommon thing with them. Like I said, they mixed up one of mine and completely lost another one altogether. They charge extra for TBN, don't use GC for fuel content (they guess at it), and are more expensive than other companies even without paying extra for TBN. (and the others include TBN) Why people continue to use Blackstone is beyond me.

Just Blackstone doing Blackstone things. This isn't an uncommon thing with them. Like I said, they mixed up one of mine and completely lost another one altogether. They charge extra for TBN, don't use GC for fuel content (they guess at it), and are more expensive than other companies even without paying extra for TBN. (and the others include TBN) Why people continue to use Blackstone is beyond me.
Yup, and, if you are already buying AMSOIL, you can get the OAI kits directly from AMSOIL at the same time, which includes GC fuel.

Back