2020 Honda SH125i

Hi,

I recently bought a new Honda SH125i scooter with Honda's 125cc ESP+ engine. According to the manual it's using 10W30, at least API SG non energy conserving oil.

Personally I would like to use 10W40 which a lot of Honda owners of the older generation of these bikes do. A hard working little engine might be better of using a 10W40 oil, even tough it's using a dry clutch CVT system.

On my old Piaggio 125cc I used to use Motul 300V which I used for an full OCI. But on the Honda which calls for 3500 miles OCI I would change at half of that max., since there's no oil filter.

So I'm thinking about either Motul 7100 10W40 which is considerably cheaper than 300V
Shell Rimula (no Rotella in Europe) in 10W30
Mobil Delvac 1 5W40
Amsoil ASO Scooter oil 10W40

Any advice?

Thanks

Literally anything you listed will be fine. 10w30 in Hondas is not unusual and I think there are some UOAs here that show it wears well in Honda bikes.

Thanks Reddy45, apparently Honda doesn't see the need for any high performance oil since they only call for API SG, and their own Original 10W30 4t is "synthetic technology" - semi syn.

well one more thing: that scooter does have start stop technology that apparently does work very well (unlike my car). So maybe an oil with alkylated napthalene or ester may be beneficial? Or does it matter at all?

during the breakin I plan to change the oil at 100 miles, at 250 miles, at 500 around is factory oil change time, and then after a few hundred again, since it doesn't have an oil filter at all, only an oil strainer.

Get as much of the initial break in wear out of the engine as soon as possible.

But at the end of the day it's a Honda, so I guess it will run flawlessly on 5W40, 10W40 and 15W40 for a long long time.

Since it's a dry transmission system maybe Mobil1 PCMO is another option, no clutch friction modifiers.... so many nice choices on the market

So 15W40 even tough it’s only lubricating the engine?
What about winter use - around 20 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit - still 15W40?

15w40 is heavier than I would use if riding temps could be 20-30 deg F. Good point, 10w40 automotive oil would work fine in that engine-only lubricating scenario. The bike is liquid cooled, 10w40 will provide great protection when it gets hot outside if oil is a concern from a hard-working single cylinder engine. Being a 10w on the bottom means very similar cold-flow performance vs a 10w30 at start-up when it’s cold.

Possibly 10w30 would yield slightly better fuel economy however I’ve never been able to tell on any one of my bikes a difference between 10w40, 15w40 or 20w50.

I would run 10w40 and be good to go.

15w40 is heavier than I would use if riding temps could be 20-30 deg F. Good point, 10w40 automotive oil would work fine in that engine-only lubricating scenario. The bike is liquid cooled, 10w40 will provide great protection when it gets hot outside if oil is a concern from a hard-working single cylinder engine. Being a 10w on the bottom means very similar cold-flow performance vs a 10w30 at start-up when it’s cold.

Possibly 10w30 would yield slightly better fuel economy however I’ve never been able to tell on any one of my bikes a difference between 10w40, 15w40 or 20w50.

I would run 10w40 and be good to go.

you do realize that SRT 15w40 has a cold pour point of -36C
that is thirty six degrees below zero celsius

how often do you ride in below zero celsius?

Agreed however IMO, he doesn’t need a 15w40 when it he says it calls for 10W-30. 10w40 will work fine when he starts it up at 20°F which apparently he may. Summertime temps no question that would be another option for a good choice.

Agreed however IMO, he doesn’t need a 15w40 when it he says it calls for 10W-30. 10w40 will work fine when he starts it up at 20°F which apparently he may. Summertime temps no question that would be another option for a good choice.

i am laughing so hard right now.

"he doesn't need"????? if that was the case NOBODY would need to come to this site and it can just be closed down.
10w40 is one of the oils to sheer the most when used in a dualsump motor (ie motor and transmission)
sae30 the straight weight (which doesnt flow that great cold compared to a 10winter) would be a much better choice than just about any 10w40. 10w30 is marginally better. and both 10w30 and 10w40 have VASTLY different results from different manufacuters/versions.

Two people can laugh. It’s not a shared sump... OP says it lubricates the engine only. But what do I know, he must be lying as you seem to know something different. Baloney Slices on a good 10w40 shearing down, M1 10w40 4T does not over a 5000+ mile OCI in my ZRX1200. And yeah that is a shared sump, remember you posted in that thread not long ago.

Last edited:
To the OP...

Dont complicate too much!

Shell Rimula R6M 10W-40.... Its synthetic (GTL) nice pour point....and it is almost 10w30...

Plenty of TBN & ZDDP also

Any advice?

Hiya Alex...
If there is one thing a motorcycle owner has control over its the
viscosity of their oil... whether you choose an 30 or 40 either oil
will meet and exceed your mileage expectations... BUT according
to Honda it is best to use the freer flowing 30 over the slower flowing
40... engineer tested the freer flowing 30 lubricates and cools critical engine
components better than slower flowing 40 oils can. Freer flowing oils
reduce bearing temperatures and sump temperatures compared to slower
flowing 40. Freer flowing 30 can also help increase horsepower and
miles per gallon. Using the slower flowing 40 to lower engine
temperature is going the wrong way because of increase oil drag...

full-45634-35309-oiltubeviscositytest.jpg

Back