2020 Fusion; difficult replacement

My F150 is 'by the book' a similar process except you can actually get to it without pulling the glove box. You might skin a knuckle, but it can be done with less steps.

2021 Mercedes Benz GLC 300. Two cabin filters. One in the engine compartment under a plastic panel takes 5 minutes to replace. Second filter under passenger side dash. Need to remove a panel, a sensor, light wiring and finally the cover for the filter. Filter does not slide out or reinsert easily. Have to basically squish it and rotate at the same time. Whoever designed this is/was a moron.

early ones were usually under the wiper cowl.. ford taurus etc.. those were from minor annoyance to losing parts and swearing.

Versa also a pain. First thing on the assembly line is a cabin filter, then they built the car around it.
So when the CAF is removed, a structural void is created, which could possibly cause the vehicle to collapse around this area. Will it create an Automotive Black Hole.🥴 Keep in mind i've only been awake 15 minutes.

On my 2022 Nissan Frontier, you have to remove several screws to take the whole glovebox assembly out, then you have to pull the fuse box out of it's holder and flop it off to the side to R/R the CAF. I'd almost rather have the standard crush and hope CAFs my older Nissans have. Like mentioned above, those usually can't be checked and reused because you mangle them in the process.

My F150 is 'by the book' a similar process except you can actually get to it without pulling the glove box. You might skin a knuckle, but it can be done with less steps.
I have a 2020 F150. You can pull down the glove box and let it hang. However-it's easily one of the worst vehicles I have over owned for changing the cabin air filter.

I'd love to have one in my 2004 Silverado, even if it were a pain to swap out.

Earlier models had one, but GM removed it in 2003(?) to save a few bucks. Typical of GM at that time.

The initial replacement of the cabin air filter on the 2nd generation Honda Odyssey (1999-2004) minivan is a P.I.T.A. Not only do you have to completely remove the glovebox and assorted trim pieces, you have to cut out a plastic crossmember brace behind it with a Sawzall! The metal brace in front of the plastic crossmember is re-installed with 8mm bolts & phillips head screws so no additional cutting is required on subsequent CAF replacements. This is discussed at 3 minutes into the attached video.

I owned one of those.
Never changed it for that reason.

My past few hondas have been super easy to change...Just lower the glovebox and you are looking right at it...

They did finally get that right.
The '06 Odyssey was easy, as well as my '12 Accord.
Haven't ever changed it on the Pilot yet.

Reactions: hrv
Back