2020 camry hybrid miles per gallon decrease

With what has been said,. I want to reiterate that cold air plays a big part in aerodynamics. 60 deg air is far easier to push through than 20 deg air....even humidity plays a part. If you're flown a plane you know what I'm talking about.

Many, many factors, including idle time.

One fill up is not an enough data to determine if there even an issue or not. If it persists then maybe think about it.
This.
And cold weather, longer warmup phase, cold tires, alcohol content variations, not to mention driving situations are not exactly the same i.e. throttle angle, idle time exc. You don't always get the same level of fuel in the car on fillups depending on how the car is sitting, when the nozzle shuts off.
5 -10 tanks , might be a trend. Even then a winter fuel mileage drop is normal and to be expected. The fuel blend in winter is different
"Winter gas" has more butane.

Last edited:
I have a 2023 Camry hybrid. I too noticed a 2mpg difference. I contribute that change to winter gas!

With that said, I took my family of 5, for a 200 mile trip, 95% highway @ 75-80mph and averaged 56 MPG.

Possibly related. I'm having trouble with 93 octane in NY. My car's knock sensors retard timing and utterly kill MPG if the fuel is not a true 93. I had one batch so bad, I got 16 miles from full to 3/4 and not quite 50 miles from full to 1/2 tank. It was so poor, and the car so slow, I couldn't finish a 60 mile trip to the airport on the last half a tank.

A little research led me to the FACT that organized crime is adultering the fuel, possibly diluting premium with regular and charging the station for premium. That explains why it happens at random local stations, and not anywhere else.

So when I see a massive MPG drop, I go to a station out of state. And walla! MPG is back up to 28.
I thought this only happen in Mexico, very common down their!

On my last gas fill up I only got 44 miles per gallon. My driving has not changed . I was averaging 51 to 53 miles per gallon before. I have 28000 miles on the car. Any suggestions on why the drop in mileage. I will be bringing the car to the dealer for inspection next and I will ask them to check it out.
Winter gasoline blend.

Back