2020 BMW M2 Comp | Motul 8100 Power 5-40 + Motul Xcess Gen 2 5-40 |~4k Miles

2020 BMW M2 Comp
Mild M4GTS+ level of tune bumps power from roughly 410whp/410wtq stock to 485whp/465wtq
This UOA is a mix of 5L of Motul Sport (8100 Power) 5w40 I had left over from previous car and 1.5L Xcess Gen2 5w40
Will use 100% Xcess Gen2 5w40 starting with next oil change
2nd car primarily used for canyon runs and spirited drives here in Colorado like this one-->

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 6.28.39 PM.jpg

Where is that?
West of Evergreen

Thanks for sharing, it sounds great!!

Can you share your camera/microphone setup?
Thanks!
The camera is an insta360 go3. Pros are it's super small form factor, so easily mounted with a clip on a backwards baseball cap or in this case on a headband to provide a great POV angle. Much easier to deal with vs a larger GoPro or DJI. The cons are the video quality is meh. This was shot at 2.7k which is highest quality on the go3. They just released a Go3S that does 4k so I'm probably pivoting to that one soon. Also no external mic capability, so I have to synch external audio in post editing with Davinchi Resolve.
Mic = external lav mic (Rode Lavalier GO ) taped to the rear bumper using a Zoom H1N recorder.

11.04 cST 100. Be good to do better.
since I'm already using a high quality oil at 4k OCI what do you suggest? Change at 3k-ish instead? I honestly kept running into the same viscosity issue with my previous hybrid turbo mk7 Golf R running Motul Sport at 3k OCIs with same use case as this M2 but that one was running slightly more HP (but less tq but also 4 banger vs 6) but I was running E85 on the Golf where the M2 is just on 91 pump

West of Evergreen

Thanks!
The camera is an insta360 go3. Pros are it's super small form factor, so easily mounted with a clip on a backwards baseball cap or in this case on a headband to provide a great POV angle. Much easier to deal with vs a larger GoPro or DJI. The cons are the video quality is meh. This was shot at 2.7k which is highest quality on the go3. They just released a Go3S that does 4k so I'm probably pivoting to that one soon. Also no external mic capability, so I have to synch external audio in post editing with Davinchi Resolve.
Mic = external lav mic (Rode Lavalier GO ) taped to the rear bumper using a Zoom H1N recorder.

since I'm already using a high quality oil at 4k OCI what do you suggest? Change at 3k-ish instead? I honestly kept running into the same viscosity issue with my previous hybrid turbo mk7 Golf R running Motul Sport at 3k OCIs with same use case as this M2 but that one was running slightly more HP (but less tq but also 4 banger vs 6) but I was running E85 on the Golf where the M2 is just on 91 pump
Ah I remember you now - I would try the HPL Euro 5W40, really holding up well/better than any of the other oils I've done with track use.

Reactions: MSH
West of Evergreen

Thanks!

See how GEN2 will do. HPL as @TiGeo said will hold good for sure.

See how GEN2 will do. HPL as @TiGeo said will hold good for sure.
Ah I remember you now - I would try the HPL Euro 5W40, really holding up well/better than any of the other oils I've done with track use.

Thanks guys. Tough to pivot away from the ~$20 oil and filter change through FCP for the XCESS Gen2 but noted on the HPL stuff.

Thanks guys. Tough to pivot away from the ~$20 oil and filter change through FCP for the XCESS Gen2 but noted on the HPL stuff.
Agree, and as you may know, love me some free FCP Liquimoly kits but if I can do 1-2 changes a year for ~$100 with HPL and get more viscosity retention on a high-powered vehicle, I'm doing it.

Reactions: MSH
Fe nearly doubled w/less miles. Was the previous 10/26/23 UOA shown under the increased power? I need to read up on those FCP oil kits.

Fe nearly doubled w/less miles. Was the previous 10/26/23 UOA shown under the increased power? I need to read up on those FCP oil kits.

Only about 500 out of the 4500 miles on previous factory fill BMW 0-30 oil was on the tune.
Also, the previous owner of the car still owned it for roughly 2k of the 4500 miles on the previous oil

Only about 500 out of the 4500 miles on previous factory fill BMW 0-30 oil was on the tune.
Also, the previous owner of the car still owned it for roughly 2k of the 4500 miles on the previous oil
Driving style + added tune = more wear on thicker oil ;)
Thanks for sharing

11.04 cST 100. Be good to do better.
This engine beats up oil. My 0W-30 LL01FE came out at 8.3 cSt after only 3000 miles and low fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Back