2020 Accord 2.0T UOA / 2100 miles / Quaker State FS 0W20

Wix Test kits cost less and you can find discounted kits on RockAuto some times I got mine there for less than$10 a kit. Oh and Wix does not charge extra for TBN as Blackstone does!
Thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking about thicker oil and it putting more stress on an oil pump than what the manufacturer calls for. What are your thoughts on that ? I’m sure the 5w30 would shear down to a 20 weight in no time with the turbo, direct injection and e85 so it would hardly matter.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking about thicker oil and it putting more stress on an oil pump than what the manufacturer calls for. What are your thoughts on that ? I’m sure the 5w30 would shear down to a 20 weight in no time with the turbo, direct injection and e85 so it would hardly matter.
The oil pump is mechanical not electrical, so it makes zero difference what oil you put in. Your biggest limiting factor with mechanical oil pumps is the max amount of FLOW it can sustain, which since this is almost the same pump as in the OG K20 and K24, it can sustain any oil viscosity that has ever been used in the K series, so pretty much 10w40 and lower.
I run 5w30. I don't see why anyone wouldn't unless you live in permanently cold climates. The reason you want low viscocity oil is to get quicker flow to the turbo, but if its over 0 degree's C your flow between 0w20, 0w30, and 5w30 is so close at cold start it makes zero difference.
If you run e85 then you simply want to change the oil more often since ethanol is close to alcohol, which breaks down oils of any kinds.

The oil pump is mechanical not electrical, so it makes zero difference what oil you put in. Your biggest limiting factor with mechanical oil pumps is the max amount of FLOW it can sustain, which since this is almost the same pump as in the OG K20 and K24, it can sustain any oil viscosity that has ever been used in the K series, so pretty much 10w40 and lower.
I run 5w30. I don't see why anyone wouldn't unless you live in permanently cold climates. The reason you want low viscocity oil is to get quicker flow to the turbo, but if its over 0 degree's C your flow between 0w20, 0w30, and 5w30 is so close at cold start it makes zero difference.
If you run e85 then you simply want to change the oil more often since ethanol is close to alcohol, which breaks down oils of any kinds.
The flow is irrelevant between grades. The winter rating addresses cranking and pumpability.

Can you upload a capture of the full analysis. Curious to see how it’s looking. Thanks. I will use rat 540 suggestion of Quaker State 5w30 next time. I also installed an oil catch can which is a must for direct injection motors.
Why do you need a catch can? Are you having oil surge through the factory PCV on track?

My Blackstone Labs report came with a pretty ****ty result after the Honda 0W20 change. After 2000 miles I had stupid high fuel dilution for a new engine with less than 10,000 mi. I switched a 5W30 immediately during the winter and have yet to have any kind of serious problems. But then again my winter rarely reaches below zero C. It's been consistently over 50° every single night for the past two weeks in the middle of February.
Fuel dilution is independent of the type of oil you are running so will be there regardless - you don't get worse dilution with a 20W vs. a 30W. However, starting with a higher viscosity certainly leaves you with more room to handle it if it's significant enough to worry about.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The tests also can’t really determine how long the oil will last or how they change under heat and wear over time. I guess that’s why we do UOA. It’ll be interesting to see the 5w30 results. I will be sure to post them up.
It's 100% trying to show film strength under high-stress conditions but I believe that is what your HTHS number/testing provides which is a more reliable/industry-standard test. I am sure if I am not correct one of the more knowledgeable folks will comment. UOA is a good tool to develop trends for your engine and to look at an how the oil's additive package/viscosity is holding up.

Back