2019 WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I am about to do my first oil change (1,000 miles) on my 2019 STI. I am new to the Subaru world and looking for the best oil possible for this engine and figured this would be the place to ask. I have been recommended Amsoil 5w40, Motul Xcess 5w40, and Schaffer's. The manual says 5w30, but seems like everyone says go with 5w40 or 0w40. Thanks for the help.

I have a 2014 WRX and run Rotella T-6 5W-40 in it. I have been told by many to run a Porche A40 spec oil in there. Go to NASIOC forums, it is a very large comunity that has more information than you can imagine. Enjoy your car I would have bought an STI if I could afford it.

Mark

I cannot vouch for it personally, but old school Subaru modders seemed to love Rotella T6 5W40.
The STI still uses the older port injected 2.5l turbo engine, so LSPI is not an issue...no need to worry about SN+, d1G2, or any of that stuff.

Yes that is still sporting the ancient model flat 4, a 40wt is highly recommended.

had a 550whp built sti used the motul 300v,id use that redline or the rotella,a lot of gtr guys use the t6.and as in the upper comment m1 is also tough oil.

Surprised no one chastised the op for changing the oil unnecessarily yet. I would also change it at 1,000 miles with all that break-in wear on a new engine.

I'd personally probably use a euro spec 5w30 like a VW502 or LL01. That way you're still using the right grade for warranty but higher HTHS than a standard 5w30. Or if you want to go bananas something like Redline 5w30 would be fine too.

That is what was suggested by Subaru and I was told to do it by quite a few people. They suggested break in was different than I have been told to do before. When my grandfather built engines, they would go run the [censored] out of them then drain the oil. I was told with this motor to keep it under 4K rpms and stay off the boost for the first 1000 miles.

Shell makes a Rotella that is a 5w-30 grade and is SN+ certified
wink.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Surprised no one chastised the op for changing the oil unnecessarily yet. I would also change it at 1,000 miles with all that break-in wear on a new engine.

UOA's show that there's no quicker reduction in uoa wear metals with multiple early changes. One guy at nasioc was particularly annoyed because he did a lot of changes yet the uoa's didn't show any quicker drop vs someone that did fewer changes.

That said, even though the factory fill has a lot of moly and ZDDP it's still a 20 grade from the moment they turn the key.

Brand doesn't really matter. Just pick a spec like Porsche A40 (Motul X cess, Mobil 1 0W40, or Castrol 0W40). As already mentioned RT6 5W40 is good as well. Some STI owners are running reduced SAPS 5W-30's (RT6 5W-30^, Motul X-clean, etc) just because they want a 5W-30 with a high HTHS. Although I'd just go with the higher SAPS oils mentioned above in the EJ if you're ok with running xW-40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
wink.gif

I would stay away from any resource conserving oil in this application.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by jbutch
wink.gif

I should have been more precise, I am talking about Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle which is an HDEO and non-RC. NOT Rotella Gas Truck. Shell confirmed to me via email that it is SN+ certified (the Rotella MV).

I used it in my FA20DIT's last fill and got the best UOA to date. Very stout oil and at the upper range of a 30 weight at 12.1 cst @ 100c.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

The one of which jbutch speaks is in my sump right now, with a minimum HTHS of 3.5.

Is there anything wrong with the Subaru 5w30? I saw a VOA thread and it appeared like it was a decent oil. Wondering how much of a PITA it would be to get Subaru to warranty a motor if the oil isn't matching the specs?

I just purchased a 2019 STI this week and have oil on the mind. Thinking about Motul 8100 X-Clean EFE 5W-30 to stay away from warranty issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by c5z06
Is there anything wrong with the Subaru 5w30? I saw a VOA thread and it appeared like it was a decent oil. Wondering how much of a PITA it would be to get Subaru to warranty a motor if the oil isn't matching the specs?

I just purchased a 2019 STI this week and have oil on the mind. Thinking about Motul 8100 X-Clean EFE 5W-30 to stay away from warranty issues.

The Subaru oil is good but it's just another GF5 that will shear to a 20 grade. If you're 100% stock just keep your oil receipts if you DIY your oil changes and run it. X-clean is a good choice but don't run an ACEA C3 oil beyond 5k miles.

The manual states that thicker oil is "required in hot temps", even although it doesn't define the thicker viscosity nor the hot temps. The manual also shows 5W40 in the temp chart although it states 5W40 is for replenishment only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back