2019 Ford PS 6.7 - 5w40 or 10w30... Syn or not...

I get it - I could be throwing money away etc... Money isnt an issue because I change this oil so infrequently. I dont put many miles on it and when I do its typically mostly highway - never short-tripped either. At worst case its a mix between city ( think neighborhood driving ) and highway.

It only have 5700 miles on it now, and I did the last OCI around 3500 miles or so ( before winter ). Im looking to do it again just because I dont like the oil to sit in the sump for too long.

Would it be worth going to a 5w40 or maybe a semi-syn or syn 10w30? Reasons for asking is I dont know if its "safe" to go to a synthetic yet... Ive seen that posted around the net before but never knew if there was any truth to that or not.

Also, would the thinner oil hurt the engine at all since I really dont need it where I live ( located in MD )? Or should I just stick with 10w30...? I dont tow nor beat on it. The truck barely goes into regen...

thanks!

I think any of those options would be ok. Especially as new as it is. 10W-30 would be a good choice. I prefer a thicker oil in bigger vehicles so even the 5W-40 or something like that. 10W-40 seems to be easier to find than 5W-40 in my area.

5W-40 will be fine. What do you mean by safe to go syn yet?
Im sure you've heard the rumor about switching to syn too early before its "broken in"... Right? I never bought much into it, but then again Ive never looked into it neither. I would think a synthetic would help lessen wear, but during break-in.. things are going to wear regardless. They have to.

Im sure you've heard the rumor about switching to syn too early before its "broken in"... Right? I never bought much into it, but then again Ive never looked into it neither. I would think a synthetic would help lessen wear, but during break-in.. things are going to wear regardless. They have to.
The break in thig is one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard people regurgitate. An engine will break in no matter what. Study up on why and how an engine breaks in.

Your truck was delivered from the factory with 10w-30, either will be fine. My 6.7 has had nothing but 10w-30 since new (‘15 with 145,000 mi) and it gets changed by the IOLM, along with fuel filters.

Hey Roadrunner - I had that 6.0 and you helped me with running that JD 10w30 oil in it. Though the injectors didnt seem to like it, I appreciate your insight.

I thought it had 10w30 in it... I think I'll do fuel filters once a year regardless of mileage ( not over 15k as I wont do that ) and just keep it spring time as the change out internal

Back