2018 Subaru Crosstrek - 6248 mi - Idemitsu Zepro Eco Medalist D1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

The first UOA was the factory fill (see thread here), and the second UOA was the "Advanced Moly" version of Zepro (see thread here).

Nb. that NAPA's contract lab continues to drop information that I filled in on the slip, including top-up oil added. The car drank more oil this time, about 1.5 quarts over the ~6k mile OCI. I acted on my earlier suspicions that this is related to an open TSB from Subaru (pertaining to a defective PCV valve that affects my car's VIN range which causes oil consumption) and replaced the PCV valve myself, as the dealer's response when I told them the issue was that they wouldn't act on the open TSB without running an oil consumption test, and that if the oil consumption test showed consumption above their threshold they might replace the short block too. I don't want the short block replaced, as I like how the car runs and the fuel economy I get, so I bit the bullet and bought the new-design OEM parts from the dealer's parts desk and did the work myself. If it still drinks oil next OCI I'll talk to them again about running the test. I suspect the increasing amounts of top-up oil are the reason the TBN has been going up from sample to sample.

I've heard of the FA engines having issues with the PCV valve. From what I gather, there's something wrong with the baffle and when the valve goes bad, it vacuums in a lot of oil. One person on the Forester forums had it visibly smoking from sucking in oil through the PCV.

I'm surprised I haven't had any consumption with my '18 Forester given the crazy gearing on the thing.

Good move on the replacing the PCV, I hope that fixes it. Keep us posted. Otherwise the report is very good and things are trending in the right direction. Nice engine. Love the Crosstrek.

check out MrSubaru's u-tube on newer subie oil consumption issues, a qt on 36 thou gets a new short block or 2 as some have needed! in an effort to get more mpg subaru loosened clearances + of course the unloved CVT good luck as it gets looser with more miles!

Originally Posted by Miller88
I've heard of the FA engines having issues with the PCV valve. From what I gather, there's something wrong with the baffle and when the valve goes bad, it vacuums in a lot of oil. One person on the Forester forums had it visibly smoking from sucking in oil through the PCV.

I'm surprised I haven't had any consumption with my '18 Forester given the crazy gearing on the thing.

FA or FB?

Because I never really heard of this issue on the FA, only the FB.

The MY18+ Crosstrek has an FB20D; the previous gen (MY12-MY17) had an FB20B. The FB20D has DI and a higher compression ratio, among other changes.

I have a '19 Crosstrek. I drove it like I stole it since day one. No detectable oil use after 4000 miles .. I ran my Forester XT very hard right out the gate. Same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back