2018 Ram 1500 5.7, Castrol Edge 5W-40 Euro A3/B4 API SP - 9729 Miles

Hello,

New member from Titusville, FL. My Oil Analyzers UOA came back today, and I'm pleased the results suggest a healthy engine. Fuel dilution is non-existent, no abnormal wear metals values and the viscosity stayed in grade, albeit a small drop - no surprises here from a stout Euro add-pack. The manganese was flagged at 23 and my educated guess is that it comes from Stabil360, but I may be wrong. I store a few 5G jugs of gas for hurricane season, then use them up right before the start of the next season. That was 2-3 weeks before I took the sample. I use no other gas additives. TBN's aplenty for a longer drain. I will stretch the current one to 15-16K; this truck lives on the highway.

Iron / 28
Chromium / 1
Nickel / 1
Aluminum / 2
Copper / 16
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Cadmium / 0
Silver / 0
Vanadium / 0
Silicon / 8
Sodium / 6
Potasium / 0
Titanium / 0
Molybdenum / 83
Antimony / 0
Manganese / 23
Lithium / 1
Boron / 63
Magnesium / 1061
Calcium / 1485
Barium / 0
Phosphorus / 953
Zinc / 1105
Lube Time / 9729
Unit Time / 127526
Lube Changed / Yes
Lube Added / 1.5 qt
Filter Changed / Yes
Fuel Dilution / <1 - Estimate
Soot / <.1 FTIR
Water / <.1 FTIR
Viscosity 100 °C / 12.9
Base No. D4739 / 5.68
Oxidation / 19
Nitration / 17

I wouldn't push it past 12k miles until you get another report that indicates you have more room to go. Your oxidation is baseline+12 right now. Oil Analyzers starts to flag this value at baseline+17. Increasing mileage by 50% (10k to 15k) could push your oxidation value past that +17 point. TBN should hold to 15k, but is considered by many to be less important than oxidation anymore.

Do you know that Manganese is in Stabil360?

Editing out, I very clearly did not fully read.

Anyways, good to see another longer OCI report from a 5.7 that lives on the highway like mine. I'm still using 5w30, interesting to see xw40 reports. I do think the viscosity is interesting, especially considering the make up oil. Seems a little low to me for a xw40. Maybe a good bit of shearing?

Last edited:
I wouldn't push it past 12k miles until you get another report that indicates you have more room to go. Your oxidation is baseline+12 right now. Oil Analyzers starts to flag this value at baseline+17. Increasing mileage by 50% (10k to 15k) could push your oxidation value past that +17 point. TBN should hold to 15k, but is considered by many to be less important than oxidation anymore.

This^^^^^^^. 10,000 seems far enough. Save your OA money.

Reactions: wlk

Anyways, good to see another longer OCI report from a 5.7 that lives on the highway like mine. I'm still using 5w30, interesting to see xw40 reports. I do think the viscosity is interesting, especially considering the make up oil. Seems a little low to me for a xw40. Maybe a good bit of shearing?
There are several reports on here recently that put Mobil Euro at <10 for viscosity after 6k miles. This one at 12.9 is great IMO. It all shears but this run/in this truck did good. I will say I think the Euro I speak about was a 0w-40 & not a 5w.

Hello,

New member from Titusville, FL. My Oil Analyzers UOA came back today, and I'm pleased the results suggest a healthy engine. Fuel dilution is non-existent, no abnormal wear metals values and the viscosity stayed in grade, albeit a small drop - no surprises here from a stout Euro add-pack. The manganese was flagged at 23 and my educated guess is that it comes from Stabil360, but I may be wrong. I store a few 5G jugs of gas for hurricane season, then use them up right before the start of the next season. That was 2-3 weeks before I took the sample. I use no other gas additives. TBN's aplenty for a longer drain. I will stretch the current one to 15-16K; this truck lives on the highway.

Iron / 28
Chromium / 1
Nickel / 1
Aluminum / 2
Copper / 16
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Cadmium / 0
Silver / 0
Vanadium / 0
Silicon / 8
Sodium / 6
Potasium / 0
Titanium / 0
Molybdenum / 83
Antimony / 0
Manganese / 23
Lithium / 1
Boron / 63
Magnesium / 1061
Calcium / 1485
Barium / 0
Phosphorus / 953
Zinc / 1105
Lube Time / 9729
Unit Time / 127526
Lube Changed / Yes
Lube Added / 1.5 qt
Filter Changed / Yes
Fuel Dilution / <1 - Estimate
Soot / <.1 FTIR
Water / <.1 FTIR
Viscosity 100 °C / 12.9
Base No. D4739 / 5.68
Oxidation / 19
Nitration / 17
Great run & I think 12k or so could be the sweet spot but try it & see what the results are at 15k. Maybe it'll work out. I think it will since you've added 1.5 qts of oil so you're replenishing with new oil.

Don't know, but some gas boosters do. Also, you made a good point about the 12K OCI. Thanks

There are several reports on here recently that put Mobil Euro at <10 for viscosity after 6k miles. This one at 12.9 is great IMO. It all shears but this run/in this truck did good. I will say I think the Euro I speak about was a 0w-40 & not a 5w.
12.9 is not a significant drop vs. published 13.4, but as @racer12306 pointed out, it is interesting that dropped that much after the 1.5 qt added.

For a 10k oil change, 12.9 is actually very good. I believe it starts out at 13.7.

Back