2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L engine trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope not kidding. 26% rollover rate, removable doors, poor crash tests etc.

Facts remain a top heavy vehicle speeding down the highway with small children that is marginal at best for safety is never a good idea
I owned one SUV and drove others and can tell from experience a top heavy vehicle can get away from you the minute you get to comfortable

I agree that the best vehicle to be in an accident is a brand new S-class. But again, JL Wrangler on modern, properly inflated, even All-Terrain tires is safe and stable at 95 mph on a highway. Yes, one has to allow a bigger margin of safety given it's mass and suspension, but it isn't a 1955 Chevy Bel Air on non-radial tires. A modern family sedan, such as Camry, Mazda 6, etc could cruise at 150mph comfortably on an Autobahn without white knuckles, once you're used to the experience. We're into the 3rd decade of 21st century, my friend

I can't believe you put family in jeopardy doing 95 in a vehicle that wasn't designed nor is it safe at those speeds. Care less about the Jeep after reading this.
What about the innocent people sharing the road with him? God forbid he crashes and some innocent person gets hurt or killed as a result of his foolish actions.

What about the innocent people sharing the road with him? God forbid he crashes and some innocent person gets hurt or killed as a result of his foolish actions.

I bet you've exceeded the speed limit, at least by 1 mph, many times in your life - THEREFORE breaking the law - THEREFORE endangering lives. Why should I or anyone else listen to moralization about speed limits from a potential murder, who by luck hasn't murdered anyone yet? Have you ever looked at a woman and thought she was beautiful? Well, there you go, murderer and misogynist moralizing about speed limits. I'm sure your case goes deeper though.... :ROFLMAO:🤡🤡🤡😁

I bet you've exceeded the speed limit, at least by 1 mph, many times in your life - THEREFORE breaking the law - THEREFORE endangering lives. Why should I or anyone else listen to moralization about speed limits from a potential murder, who by luck hasn't murdered anyone yet? Have you ever looked at a woman and thought she was beautiful? Well, there you go, murderer and misogynist moralizing about speed limits. I'm sure your case goes deeper though.... :ROFLMAO:🤡🤡🤡😁
Maybe as a child. As one grows older they grow wiser and smarter. ;)

Tripped a breaker, eh?

I'm only being sarcastic and actually very light-hearted about Americans tending to seeing the world in black and white: 35 mph in 35 mph zone in heavy traffic - model citizen, saving lives. 45 mph in a 35 mph zone with light traffic - SLOW DOWN BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE, you worst possible person in the world, child murder, Hitler, Stalin, Satan himself. Nothing in between. Best way is to turn tables while jocking about subject matter

That truck isn't smart to drive at that speed, just a fact. Thinking so is the overconfidence that leads these things to an upside down state. It's just physics, nothing personal.

I wonder how industrial equipment or trucks can run at 100% engine load for years and not fail. My beloved Toyota Van would have to run foot to the floor to keep it at 70mph if the AC was on.

If you beat on an engine with a CEL, you are asking for further damage than it may have already had. That said, it will likely be fixed and fine.

So let me get this straight....you think modern, complex mechanical devices never have defects or problems? Ok.

The engine in your Wrangler is a significant update of the Pentastar if your Jeep is a JL. Still, they
It's a lease, so that means its beat on only slightly less than a rental.

Pentastars seem to have "weak" rockers. Weak might not be the right term but they seem to fail a bit more often than what you hear of for other engine families. Still. Not sure how many Pentastars have been made, nor the failure rate, but I'm guessing it's still pretty low. It's a mechanical creature, stuff does fail. It's annoying, but expected in the scheme of things.
With more than 11,000,000 of them produced, anything with even a small occurrence rate will seem like a lot. Meanwhile there's one from a delivery van in another thread with 625,000 miles that never had an issue with the rockers or anything else, for that matter, until the timing chain stretched and the guides broke.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I wonder what the deal is with #6 plug being covered in oil. For some reason I don't think this is the end of this story.

I read the tech notes and basically he misdiagnosed rocker as he stated couldn't verify bad rocker but replaced put back together without fixing problem. My interpretation of the situation is a bad sensor caused computer to compensate for vvt error and running with the error might cause plug foul from incorrect timing. What I would worry about is how much pressure was put on the rod and or piston. Both those codes leads you to rocker, lack of oil pressure to rocker, or intake valve stuck which will cause oil on plug.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight....you think modern, complex mechanical devices never have defects or problems?

No, but I'm bewildered that I've encountered a modern engine with an internal failure so early in its life. I know and understand that it's theoretically and statistically it is possible/will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back