2018 Hyundai Sonata SEL 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good plan. Here's a UOA I did on my car. The oil never smells like gas at all, no concerns for me there.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4430498/Pennzoil_Ultra_5w30_6,377_15'_#Post4430498

Mine doesn’t smell of gasoline anymore. It hasn’t smelled of gas since I went to Motorcraft 5W30.That was at 10,000 miles and now it’s close to 35,000. So that would be 4 OCI back.
WEMAY, have you gotten a recall letter on your ‘13 model?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone! This wasn't an ideal situation, but we do what we must do for our families. Giving up a truck for a few yeas was a small price to pay. This really is a nice car for the price.

Danno, the cap does say 5w20 on the cap. But the manual says 5w30 can also be used if desired.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Mine doesn’t smell of gasoline anymore. It hasn’t smelled of gas since I went to Motorcraft 5W30.That was at 10,000 miles and now it’s close to 35,000. So that would be 4 OCI back.
WEMAY, have you gotten a recall letter on your ‘13 model?

Yes, two:
one for the ABS sensors - fixed (i believe this was a TSB, not a recall)
one to check for possible metal shavings due to mfc plant error - found nothing array.

Yep, I got the one on the possibility of metal shavings, as well. I haven’t had mine checked. Hey, if it blows, oh well. I’ll just have them replace it under warranty. I’ve heard stories of them failing after the test. I have been told by the local Hyundai tech, most of the ones he is replacing is due to improper maintenance.

Hyundai / Kia allow 5W20 , 5W30 and 10W30 and OCI of 3,750 OR 7,500 depending on severe service OR not . I use 5W30 synthetic because of fuel dilution issues and run a 5,000 mile OCI so as to split the difference between severe / non - severe service interval. All in all , I believe my oil plan to be sound for Hyundai / Kia DI engines .
Danno
Sure 5w20 is printed on the cap but, fuel dilution is common with the Hyundai/KIA engines. When I smelled gasoline in my drained oil, I went to 5W30. 3,750 mile OCI is for severe and 7,500 normal. I do 5,000 with an OE filter. A good synthetic blend is also fine for 5,000 OCI. My KIA does well on Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W30. The Hyundai dealership uses QS 5W30 blend as their fill.

ChrisD46
My thinking and exactly what I do. 5,000 mile OCI for these cars is a good plan. I use nothing but OE Hyundai/KIA oil filters.

If using conventional i go 3700 miles. Synthetic goes 5000 miles.
Funny how Hyundai say 3750 but the last two digits can't be adjusted.

Yep! I mostly use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w30. If I can catch a synthetic at the Motorcraft cost, I’ll buy that. Walmart just so happened to have Castrol GTX Magnatech synthetic for $17.88/5qt jug. That was cheaper than the Motorcraft and the Pennzoil Gold.

Yep! I mostly use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w30. If I can catch a synthetic at the Motorcraft cost, I’ll buy that. Walmart just so happened to have Castrol GTX Magnatech synthetic for $17.88/5qt jug. That was cheaper than the Motorcraft and the Pennzoil Gold.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back