2018 Honda Pilot

My daughter-in-law has a 2018 Honda Pilot. 37k miles. She says that it is surging with a noticeable fluctuation in RPMs as seen on the tachometer while driving. After some research it appears there may have been some transmission and/or torque converter issues with the Pilot. Has anyone had any experience with these Honda Pilots and the problem I’ve described?

Two of the Honda TSB's are 17-014 issued 2-18-2017 and 17-015 issued 2-27-2018. You can find them over there by searching for "6 speed transmission TSB" There may be more but that is just a quick search.

My buddy & his wife have a 2017 Pilot with the Honda in house 6 speed tranny(not the ZF 9 speed) and just recently, coincidentally, it too was doing the same thing. My buddy changed the tranny fluid using Honda specific ATF for that tranny and all is well.

Buddy if mine got a good deal on one that had the surging as sellers thought trans was going bad. Had dealer apply software patch, and he did 3x D&F with maxlife and lubeguard red. Never surged again after that.

Just curious… Do they not come equipped with a transmission oil cooler? It seems to be an add on affair.

Just curious… Do they not come equipped with a transmission oil cooler? It seems to be an add on affair.
The6 speed does come with an external filter which is replaceable, but there is no transmission cooler unless you add the Honda or an aftermarket accessory. Needed to meet 5000 lb towing rating if you have AWD.

Thanks. I will advise my son to get the fluid changed as per the TSB issued.
Triple drain and refill with DW-1. Software update also slows the degradation, but not by much.
The Honda 6AT's need a fluid change every 20K, max, to prevent the shudder issue from developing.

• Helpful
Reactions: rcs
I'm guessing a very conservative driver? Lugging the trans on these seems to burn up the fluid, usually a fluid swap and all is well again

Thanks for the help. I’ll pass along to my son. He’s planning to send the Honda to the dealer for this service as well as routine oil and filter after the holidays.

The6 speed does come with an external filter which is replaceable, but there is no transmission cooler unless you add the Honda or an aftermarket accessory. Needed to meet 5000 lb towing rating if you have AWD.
I recall seeing a Honda cooler assembly that included the cooler hoses on a Honda parts site. No wonder the fluid cooks.

My daughter-in-law has a 2018 Honda Pilot. 37k miles. She says that it is surging with a noticeable fluctuation in RPMs as seen on the tachometer while driving. After some research it appears there may have been some transmission and/or torque converter issues with the Pilot. Has anyone had any experience with these Honda Pilots and the problem I’ve described?

Purchased 04 pilot w 160k miles for towing 3500lbs. Did 3x drain n fill tran fluid w honda fluid. Did not last - blk fuid and shift problems at 4k miles. Did drain n fill tran every 3k w every mobile 1 oil change - no issues!- switched to valvoline max life tran fluid still good at 15k miles! I beat this suv up towing rough hills!!!
I did add for peace a tran cooler and extra fan!!

This one was doing a slight shudder when torque converter clutch engaged. So far it’s smooth.

Back