2018 Ford Fusion 1.5

H all,

So, my company/fleet vehicle is a 2018 Ford Fusion 1.5. Once in a while, I get the "wrench" light on my dashboard. Usually, when I turn car off and back on, it goes away. Sometimes it comes on two or three days in a row, sometimes maybe once a week or once a month. Very erratic. I have an appointment at FORD in about three weeks. Took it to a different one and the car sat for two days and they never even looked at it. That's a whole other thread in itself.

So, yesterday, driving home, had a little bit of heat on (it was chilly in Charlotte) and then, all of a sudden, the air started blowing cold. Very odd, then, I got a warning light that said high coolant temperature. Glanced at temp gauge and it was pegged. Immediately pulled car over (I was on the highway....) and turned it off. Put hazards on. Popped hood. Expected to hear hissing or something. Got out, looked around, nothing. Coolant level was perfect. I could grab the hoses. NO issues. Looked underneath car, nothing. So, waited a few minutes, started car, temp gauge went to normal, and heat was working.....drove to gas station where it was lit up. Climbed under car, looked in engine bay, hoses were normal tempo, coolant fine.

So, I don't think I really had a high coolant temperature. Bad sensor or something? I know very little about Fords to be honest. This morning, I started car, and temp gauge kind of "hunted" around up and down, until it stabilized at the normal area. So, not sure what it is?

Any idea?

Thanks!

The 1.5EB 4 cylinder has had many issues - mostly head gaskets. My engine was replaced at 18K miles as well as most of our service and operations teams including managers, technicians, sales and PM's. Some of my guys are on their 3rd engine.
We actually had a meeting with ARI and Ford to help us absorb some of our downtime.

I recommend getting to the dealer as soon as possible.

The 1.5EB 4 cylinder has had many issues - mostly head gaskets. My engine was replaced at 18K miles as well as most of our service and operations teams including managers, technicians, sales and PM's. Some of my guys are on their 3rd engine.
We actually had a meeting with ARI and Ford to help us absorb some of our downtime.

I recommend getting to the dealer as soon as possible.
Definitely. I just got off the phone with them. Earliest appointment I can get is two weeks from today...........

We use ARI also. Car was fine until I hit 75K, no issues. Now, swollen lug nuts, wrench light, coolant temp issues........

My neighbor joked with me when I got it that it will be great until about 75,000 miles, then the wheels fall off.....He wasn't kidding. I would be beyond upset right now if I had paid for this with my money. I get a new vehicle at 90K (at 82K now) so not a big deal. Hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded before I can get to dealership in two weeks.....

The ecoboost 1.5 is like a woman, you'll never know when it can act up. From my experience and what you’ve detailed, it sounds like the cylinder head temperature sensor may be bad. If no white smoke and the engine isn’t running rough, it’s probably that sensor. Although some people may beg to differ based on their friend jim bob’s experience or hearsay, but whatever. Could also be the head gasket relating to TSB 20-2100.

So, dropped off the Fusion yesterday. After about 4 hours they called and said it needs a short block! Coolant getting into the cylinders!

He said they’re seeing A LOT of this. All 1.5 eco boost engines. Ford is making concessions.

I called ARI (fleet vehicle thank God) and they gave me a rental car. Guy said they’re seeing it constantly. Since it has 84,000 miles on it, I will
hopefully get a new car. Won’t get a decision until next week or so.

Back