2018 Chevy Duramax Fuel Injector Failure

On vacation last week in Colorado. Saturday afternoon Near Lake City, CO truck went haywire with alarms and lights. CEL with emissions failure flashing. Stabilitrak light on. ABS light on. Limp mode active. Hotel in Pagosa Springs is 117 miles away. Wolf Creek Pass with Limp Mode was not a fun experience. Closest GM dealer is Durango, CO. Get truck there Sunday morning. Uber to airport for a rental.

Truck ready Thursday afternoon. #4 injector went bad & was replaced. Codes were P0204, P020D, P0300.

Shout out to Morehart Murphy Auto Center for getting work done quickly.

The number 4 injector on the L5P is one I keep seeing failures reported for. Often times it is just a bad connector and not the injector itself (bad injectors can and do happen occasionally).If it happens again, definitely have a look at the connector.
B17B9F5C-E208-477B-8739-EA0C19A832DB.png
7034E4C9-63AB-45AE-8037-C2CEB9CF405F.png
0380DDA8-E923-497B-B466-DD16713E1F5C.png

It was replaced under warranty, along with a couple of recalls being performed. $0 to me. Out $675 for a week of rental car, but things could have been much worse money wise.

I was talking to a guy at a truck stop about his Duramax a few weeks ago (yes, I talk to many random people). His truck was 18 months old and had 175,000 miles, does commercial transport. The only problem he'd had with the entire truck was an injector going bad. He said we was on I-80 by Laramie WY when the injector stopped working. It was all he could do to get the truck to the nearest dealer. Like you described, the dashboard looked like a Christmas tree, it was in limp mode, and shook like crazy. After three days and a new injector, he was back on the road.

I was going about 30mph along a twisty mountain road. My first thought was the engine threw a rod. A loud pop with lots of shaking & a slot machine for the dash. I pulled over & got under looking for draining fluids. None were found. After a few minutes I restarted and it idled fine until pressing the fuel pedal. The shaking was tremendous under power.

52k on odometer at the time.

On vacation last week in Colorado. Saturday afternoon Near Lake City, CO truck went haywire with alarms and lights. CEL with emissions failure flashing. Stabilitrak light on. ABS light on. Limp mode active. Hotel in Pagosa Springs is 117 miles away. Wolf Creek Pass with Limp Mode was not a fun experience. Closest GM dealer is Durango, CO. Get truck there Sunday morning. Uber to airport for a rental.

Truck ready Thursday afternoon. #4 injector went bad & was replaced. Codes were P0204, P020D, P0300.

Shout out to Morehart Murphy Auto Center for getting work done quickly.

Ask the dealer if this truck is included in the N182179090 fuel injector calibration recall.

Back