2018 Buick Encore, 1.4L Turbo, 5,243 miles, AC Delco Dexos 5w30

Vehicle has only been serviced by the dealer car was purchased from. Found out the dealer has been installing the wrong oil filter since the car was purchased. It's a long story, but here's the thread if you're interested. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ter-installed-by-dealer-engine-damage.336589/

If you're not interested in reading a long thread, the summary is that the filter the dealer has been installing was incorrect and the filter was potentially being ran in bypass for all 24k miles on the engine. According to GM, it can cause engine damage as the oil will not be filtered.

I believe the engine may have a knock - there's a video in the thread above. Decided to pull a sample when I changed the oil to check for any signs of engine damage. I kept the old oil and filter incase it is requested by the dealer for any warranty purposes.

Oil was in service for about 5 months or so. The product # on the dealer service receipt suggests the oil is bulk AC Delco Dexos 5w30. The oil filter was also AC Delco.

We will be taking in the vehicle possibly this weekend to get it looked at.

How do I add the UOA data in code form for record?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 18 ENCORE-210130.jpg
    18 ENCORE-210130.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 269
I say... have it noticed & signed by the dealer that if you have issues down the road, they will handle it.

from the looks of the report, the engine seems to be just fine and “average” wear. Nothing to suggest abnormal wear.

Any oil consumption?
Nothing in the VOA screams failure....
Have you heard 'normal' engine sounds from the same engine family in other vehicles?
Keep the OCI's at 5k miles and give a Dexos2 oil a run to see if the extra viscosity quiets it down a little, if dealer finds 'nothing' wrong.

Have you tried the Wix or STP filter, with the valve.. seems most other brands only have the 'wrong' filter for your application. I'd consider the competitor filters too just to see how they sound compared to the Acdelco.

Maybe if the dealer 'hears' it and can be willing to warranty the engine for the 'knock'... but will need to rule out belt driven components and noisy injectors, and common engine noises.

Any oil consumption?
Nothing in the VOA screams failure....
Have you heard 'normal' engine sounds from the same engine family in other vehicles?
Keep the OCI's at 5k miles and give a Dexos2 oil a run to see if the extra viscosity quiets it down a little, if dealer finds 'nothing' wrong.

Have you tried the Wix or STP filter, with the valve.. seems most other brands only have the 'wrong' filter for your application. I'd consider the competitor filters too just to see how they sound compared to the Acdelco.

Maybe if the dealer 'hears' it and can be willing to warranty the engine for the 'knock'... but will need to rule out belt driven components and noisy injectors, and common engine noises.
No oil consumption. Yes, I’ve heard other 1.4L Turbos without the low-end tapping sound. My fiancé’s dad has the same car and engine and his does not make these sounds.

I’m currently running Valvoline Syn 5/30 which is Dexos 1 Gen2 and an STP oil filter with the bypass valve.

Is Dexos 2 supposed to be the latest and greatest?

Not latest and greatest... its GM's version of a high HTHS oil, used by their diesels and includes thicker 0w30's, 5w30's, and 5w40's.

If the noise is abnormal, hopefully you can exercise the warranty or dealer stupidity. By using the wrong filters, they take the liability for any engine damage.

Play doctor and use a stethoscope to zoom in on the source of the noise.

I would not be happy about the dealer using the wrong filter, and WOULD be getting something in writing showing they messed up. Also, I would get corporate involved and get an extended warranty on them.

Having said that, my untrained ear doesn't hear anything but a healthy engine in that video. I don't what a GM 1.4 should sound like, but that doesn't sound like rod knock.

Thanks for replies and recommendations. My main concern is what engine damage or excessive wear may have occurred. In the other thread one poster suggested that a UOA may not tell me much.

If the oil filter has been in bypass for 24k miles since new, then the oil has not been properly filtered and therefore would be be dirtier or more abrasive that if the filter were properly filtering. I mean there’s a reason why modern engines have oil filters. I’m just surprised a UOA didn’t pick anything up abnormal.

Should this UOA help put my mind at ease that the engine is fine, or is it likely there’s still excessive wear on bearings, timing chain, etc?

I doubt the dealer will put a new engine in it if it “sounds fine” to them, but I don’t feel I should be on the hook if the timing chain let’s go 5k miles out of the 60k mile power train warranty.

How would a respectable dealer handle this?

Thanks.

Until something actually fails I think you'll have a really tough time getting the dealer to do anything at all. So you're in an unfortunate Position where you'll always think you're at risk of engine failure but really don't know. The engine could be totally fine but every little noise it makes would stress me out.

Knowing myself and how my brain works I'd be looking at replacing the car. Not saying that's rational or a good idea. But that thought would never be far from the front of my brain.

Back