2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia - 1yr/17k mile Review

Originally Posted by MCompact
And now the acolytes of deadly dull anodyne travel pods begin to weigh in...

Not replying to your post, just some arguments for Toyota/Honda fans:

First, I would guess from OP's past threads, he knew what he was getting into.
So he choose to drive excited each time he gets in the car.

Also, I think he is close to the populated area of Illinois, which means he has dealer access or techs that know how to work on Italian hardware.
There is even a Maserati dealer in the area...

Nothing wrong with him driving something he likes. Life is short, make the most of it.

The inability to reset the OLM without dealer intervention is absurd.
Aside from that, this quick and pretty car has served you well.
I hope that this continues.
Thus far, it seems as though it's been no more trouble to own and use than the typical GM/Ford/Toyota appliance and is a very attractive car.
Good luck going forward.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
The inability to reset the OLM without dealer intervention is absurd..

There was something on forums where an ELM327 wi-fi or bluetooth to smartphone OBDII apps can reset the oil change interval. Worth a check to save the time and trouble of having the dealership fiddle around every time for $86.

A comment ^^ from a guy who buys Jeep and Mini Cooper (the most problematic cars on the planet)...nah, I would prefer quality, reliability, and value....things that don't interest you.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Bet if it was a Toyota/Honda with those issues it would be no problem, just some initial one off teething issues
02.gif

It would be lemon.

Truth ^^

Originally Posted by lovcom
Bet if it was a Toyota/Honda with those issues it would be no problem, just some initial one off teething issues
02.gif

It would be lemon.

Truth ^^

It is just Toyota.
Yugo I owned had less noise in door panels than my Sienna, and ANY other Sienna I drove.
I also own Land Cruiser. talking about subpar suspension, brake quality, and issues with diesel engine? holy moly. My BMW X5 diesel was example of reliability for Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

A comment ^^ from a guy who buys Jeep and Mini Cooper (the most problematic cars on the planet)...nah, I would prefer quality, reliability, and value....things that don't interest you.

We get it, you feel the need to justify overpaying for your Toyota. The cult meeting is every Wednesday at 6:30pm. The rest of us will be enjoying our vehicles as something more than an appliance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

We get it, you feel the need to justify overpaying for your Toyota. The cult meeting is every Wednesday at 6:30pm. The rest of us will be enjoying our vehicles as something more than an appliance.

These are people who buy Toyota and think they are smartest person in the neighborhood. Once you question quality fo a car or anything else related to that car, they do not see that as questioning car, but their decision making process.

These are people who buy Toyota and think they are smartest person in the neighborhood. Once you question quality fo a car or anything else related to that car, they do not see that as questioning car, but their decision making process.

Amen edyvw, amen.

Lol. Define "quality".

Amen edyvw, amen.

Both of you are spot on.
thumbsup2.gif

Amen edyvw, amen.

Some people just need to get out more and own some different cars.
While Toyota's are okay for reliability/durability many more entertaining cars are very good as well.
The OP's Alfa is an example.
I'd recommend that everyone own at least one BMW or Mercedes.
I never found either marque to be the money pits the uninformed often make them out to be.
You'll hear few serious complaints from anyone who's owned and used either, unless they bought a seriously neglected and ragged out example.
An old Toyota from a buy here pay here is probably going to be okay while anything more sophisticated probably won't be.

I just know that I have never laid awake all night wishing that I'd bought a Prius instead of my BMWs, Jeep, or Mini. And I suspect the OP feels the same way about his Giulia.

Different strokes as they say.....

I agree that Toyota and Honda probably make the best cars, as defined by overall reliability/ease of ownership. and I just as probably will never own one. And BTW I think Lotus will give Jeep and Mini a run for most problematic car on the planet...
banana2.gif

Back on topic, Alfa is making some of the last pretty cars.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Different strokes as they say.....

I agree that Toyota and Honda probably make the best cars, as defined by overall reliability/ease of ownership. and I just as probably will never own one. And BTW I think Lotus will give Jeep and Mini a run for most problematic car on the planet...
banana2.gif

Back on topic, Alfa is making some of the last pretty cars.

Alfa 146 1.6 with flat engine was one of the best cars I have ever owned, driving and reliability wise. That thing had 105hp, but was such a hoot to drive, it is remarkable.

Originally Posted by pandus13

Nothing wrong with him driving something he likes. Life is short, make the most of it.

Exactly. Dull anodyne travel pods are not for me. Thank goodness we have choices. I smile every time I get in my sig car and fire up that 6.1 with its awesome "whoop"....

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Exactly. Dull anodyne travel pods are not for me. Thank goodness we have choices. I smile every time I get in my sig car and fire up that 6.1 with its awesome "whoop"....

Be careful my friend, you are tempting fate; you might wind up on the receiving end of an arrogant and pious(appropriately enough) lecture- much like the one you received back in 2014.

Originally Posted by pandus13

I remember getting into BMW every morning, and be like: let's go. Now I get into car and I am: really? again?

Very nice car and your experience is much better than the road test I read in either Motor trend or car and driver (can't remember which) where they flat out said not to buy based on the extreme number o f problems they had with it.

Be careful my friend, you are tempting fate; you might wind up on the receiving end of an arrogant and pious(appropriately enough) lecture- much like the one you received back in 2014.

Oh come on....

What did I miss???

Back