2017 Volvo XC-60 T6 AWD R-Design

A neighbor is the OO of the title vehicle and is looking to replace it with something larger.
grey. All it's missing is a roof rack.
I like the earlier small-screen dashboard but Mrs. Kira says linking the phone to a big screen makes for a better GPS experience.
It's good she has her own car with a large screen.

It'd be a big move considering my ongoing 20 year run with three base model V70s.
Would a car like this age faster than most? I've always been the guy to eschew fancy stuff.....but this car is a jewel.

The few examples found online were 3-4 years older and carried ~$23,000 dealership asking prices.

Man, what to offer the guy?

A neighbor is the OO of the title vehicle and is looking to replace it with something larger.
grey. All it's missing is a roof rack.
I like the earlier small-screen dashboard but Mrs. Kira says linking the phone to a big screen makes for a better GPS experience.
It's good she has her own car with a large screen.

It'd be a big move considering my ongoing 20 year run with three base model V70s.
Would a car like this age faster than most? I've always been the guy to eschew fancy stuff.....but this car is a jewel.

The few examples found online were 3-4 years older and carried ~$23,000 dealership asking prices.

Man, what to offer the guy?
Do you like it?

What would he get for trade in? Something between trade in and retail seems about right.

I have a little experience with the newer Volvo’s. They are very attractive. They drive great. The build quality seems good.

Servicing has become more complex. You’ll want a VIDA set up.

I like the vehicle and am open to a step up.
But still, it might be too much tech on 4 wheels for a forest dweller like me.

+1 on the VIDA advice. Ha-ha, and don't forget the DICE interface unit!

IMG_2223.jpeg

Vida dice does not have full functionality after 2014-15 AFAIK.
You may be right. All of mine are 2004 or earlier. I think I’m among the few that can do everything, and I do mean everything, on a Volvo of that vintage.

New ones? I almost bought a 2023 XC90 (loaded, $88K) a couple months ago. In that purchase decision was the acknowledgment that I could not do much of the work.

I actually think we, those of us who fix our own cars, are done. I will always do the oil change and other simple tasks, but real service? Too complex, and manufacturers have slowly locked down the software and tools needed. I have VIDA/DiCe for Volvo. DAS for Mercedes. Techstream for Toyota. 3 separate laptops in my shop. But the new soft ware is unobtainable.

Going forward, if I do buy a new car, it’ll be brand new. I’ll drive it for ten years, let it be repaired at the dealer, if needed, and trade it in for another new one. This is a radical departure from how I’ve lived for the 40+ years since I got my first car and learned how to work on it.

Better to spend the $$ up front, drive a new car, trade it in before it requires complex repair, and move on. As a math exercise, $70,000 for a nice new car. $20,000 trade in. Ten years cost me $50,000. That’s just over $400/month and I don’t have to get under the car the entire time. That’s the new model.

Back on topic, this is a nice car, but perhaps limit yourself to oil changes…

He can do most stuff without computer. Gearbox oil and battery change does not really require it. Neither does rear brakes.

Volvo's new SPA platform needs subscription its no longer "software" based.
So if its XC60 gen II I dont think he can do much with Vida+dice at all.

He can do most stuff without computer. Gearbox oil and battery change does not really require it. Neither does rear brakes.

Volvo's new SPA platform needs subscription its no longer "software" based.
So if its XC60 gen II I dont think he can do much with Vida+dice at all.
Your definition of “most” and mine are very, very different.

I test drove one of these, have always liked them. My wife has a 2015 Crv, and the xc60 seemed like a properly sorted, grown-up version of the crv. I thought the driving dynamics were reminiscent of “Buick,” but it also had Cooper cs5 tires on it, which seemed soft.

1. The lcd dash was almost great - it seemed too small to me, like driving a motorcycle.

2. The front overhang on these is a huge gaping maw. I’ve tried so hard. I’ve test driven three of these over the years and stared at it trying to adjust my mind to it. I have not succeeded yet.

when compared to the current generation of s60… man they look sleeeeeek. The long hood, long lines, set back drivers position… those are beautiful cars. … granted this is also comparing a sedan to an suv, but I’d hold out for an XC variant that borrows from their newer design language.

and good luck on the electronics… the other reason i couldn’t quite pull the trigger. I could get around a p2 well enough, but the newer stuff is quickly approaching the limit of my willingness to invest in auxiliary software and diag tools. I suppose im just getting old. That said, if it’s been reliable and not in a flood, I wouldn’t let the electronics hold me back. the local Volvo dealer here has been expensive for parts, but efficient in diagnostic and labor.

now if it were an xc-70, I’d probably open my checkbook, very quickly.

Back