2017 Titan XD Cummins T6 15w40

Bough the truck in July of 17'. All OCI's are at 5K & for the first 50K miles I ran T5 15w40 then switched to T6 15w40. This truck is worked, tows a 28' race trailer @ just shy of 13K lbs when loaded out. Most of the time in west Texas, AZ & Southern CA. Truck is deleted, tuned and puts out north of 450hp. FASS fuel system w/ filters & separator changed every 10K. I also swapped over to a 180* thermostat as the truck just ran wayy to hot w/ the OEM t-stat. Oil filter is a Donaldson DBL7349 and it too is replaced at every OCI. I really enjoy this truck and like it much more than my 5.9L Cummins / Dodge, its a shame Nissan discontinued them. I have a buddy that works for HPL & set me some to try, so this current fill is of their HPL 15w40. I will sample it as well & we will see how we are tracking after 3 OCI's w/ the HPL 15w40. All that being said the UOA for the Rotella T6 15w40 is pretty outstanding so it will be interesting to see how the HPL compares.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 29
You like it more than the Ram because?
And what year, model is the Ram?
Nissan did something right when you can tow at max rating and you're liking the ride.

Yes. I was sorry to see that the Cummins Nissan failed to catch on in sales. I think it was too expensive to get the diesel option, and when so equipped, the truck didn't get much better fuel economy than the gas engine.

How good is the fuel economy on your deleted truck?

The biggest problem for the Titan XD is Nissan was trying to solve a problem that didn't exist in the market. Also, the market is totally dominated by the Big Three and it's not likely to change in the short to mid term future—or probably long term future even. Nissan's quality issues with the previous model Titan didn't help either. They also have had issues with the 5.0 and Nissan service departments are not set up in general to handle diesels in the US. It was really a poorly planned product and launch by Nissan. That's NOT to say the trucks are not nice....they are. Just the planning and logistics from Nissan hurt them before they even got a chance to be successful IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
You like it more than the Ram because?
And what year, model is the Ram?
Nissan did something right when you can tow at max rating and you're liking the ride.

The truck is just better built... all the way around. I have 3 other Cummins / Dodges: 07' , 99' and 96'. As a side note my lead engineer has 19' Cummins / Dodge & i have some time in that truck. From a luxury stand point its top of its class, but falls short in build quality, ride & over all fit & finish. My opinion of course. They did & the engine is very strong & smooth under load. HOWEVER.... they really needed to just make it a 3/4 ton vs. 5/8 ton as the rear springs are too soft for towing heavy loads. I have airbags which help greatly, but the power is rated, chassis just needs to match.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Yes. I was sorry to see that the Cummins Nissan failed to catch on in sales. I think it was too expensive to get the diesel option, and when so equipped, the truck didn't get much better fuel economy than the gas engine.

How good is the fuel economy on your deleted truck?

So that is an interesting question, I deleted almost immediately after purchase. Best I could get empty was 18 mpg & 14 to 10mpg when towing depending on the load out & trailer. When I finally got the FASS milage increased significantly I now average 22-24mpg and same when towing (14-10). I typically tow @ 70mph & drive empty between 75-80mph.

Originally Posted by ToadU
The biggest problem for the Titan XD is Nissan was trying to solve a problem that didn't exist in the market. Also, the market is totally dominated by the Big Three and it's not likely to change in the short to mid term future—or probably long term future even. Nissan's quality issues with the previous model Titan didn't help either. They also have had issues with the 5.0 and Nissan service departments are not set up in general to handle diesels in the US. It was really a poorly planned product and launch by Nissan. That's NOT to say the trucks are not nice....they are. Just the planning and logistics from Nissan hurt them before they even got a chance to be successful IMO.

I agree w/ you. Nissan has NO clue about anything diesel... from sales, to service, marketing etc. I was the guy who knew about this way back in 08' when Nissan announced their partnership w/ Cummins. I waited a long time for this truck & I am sad to see it go. I am a diesel guy & no one but me touches the truck. I am not so sure about your comment on "Nissan trying to solve a problem that did exist" while I understand & agree w/ you I just have one counter argument: Toyota Tundra. And I have a sneaking suspicion that if Toyota made a diesel Tundra it would be quite popular........ but then again I did complain earlier in this thread that they should have just made it 3/4 ton.....
05.gif

The partnership was forced. I worked at Cummins (generators) at the time. Cummins was all set to launch the V8 automotive diesel with Dodge. Then the Great Recession occurred, Chrysler went bankrupt, and Fiat bought them. Fiat agreed to continue the 6.7L Cummins engine in Ram HD trucks, but somehow did not "renew" the agreement to put the new V8 in the light duty trucks, instead going with a European diesel maker (the 3.0 Ecodiesel).

Cummins was near the end of V8 development, and sought out a new OEM. Ford had already elected to do their own diesel after the Navistar divorce. GM was in bed with Isuzu. Cummins talked Nissan into it - and there's the rub. Not only didn't Nissan know a thing about diesels, they weren't a premier pickup truck maker. Cummins wanted the brand to continue as a premium engine maker, but this combination was bound to flub, and it did. They had to know that, but maybe figured they lose less money by selling some rather than known with all the one-time development costs and tooling already spent.

All due to global economic circumstance from the mortgage derivative marketing debacle. Life is very unpredictable.

I remember reading about this partnership between Cummins and Nissan, however it was supposed to be the Frontier which was designed by Cummins for a 2.8L 4 cyl. This was right after the VW dieselgate fiasco and Nissan shelved the plan. If you remember the 2016 Tacoma was also supposed to be available with a small displacement 4 cyl diesel but was also shelved due to VW and bad publicity.

The 2.8 Cummins is now sold as a "repower" crate engine. From what I read it's a repackaged Chinese engine with Cummins badges and a 2.8L POS. Maybe Nissan made a smart move on the frontier... Kudos to GM for real easing their 2.8 Duramax powered Colorado/Canyon after the other manufacturers bailed out.

The Titan/Cummins is a failure. The TFL test between the gas and diesel Titans confirms this and sealed its fate.

What consumers want IMO are Diesel 2.8L-3.5L mid-size and 1500 trucks which can tow 8-12k and get 30mpg unloaded. The Titan/Cummins is a problem that doesn't exist and is dead because of it.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
The partnership was forced. I worked at Cummins (generators) at the time. Cummins was all set to launch the V8 automotive diesel with Dodge. Then the Great Recession occurred, Chrysler went bankrupt, and Fiat bought them. Fiat agreed to continue the 6.7L Cummins engine in Ram HD trucks, but somehow did not "renew" the agreement to put the new V8 in the light duty trucks, instead going with a European diesel maker (the 3.0 Ecodiesel).

Cummins was near the end of V8 development, and sought out a new OEM. Ford had already elected to do their own diesel after the Navistar divorce. GM was in bed with Isuzu. Cummins talked Nissan into it - and there's the rub. Not only didn't Nissan know a thing about diesels, they weren't a premier pickup truck maker. Cummins wanted the brand to continue as a premium engine maker, but this combination was bound to flub, and it did. They had to know that, but maybe figured they lose less money by selling some rather than known with all the one-time development costs and tooling already spent.

All due to global economic circumstance from the mortgage derivative marketing debacle. Life is very unpredictable.

Yes, I remember those, too. We were lobbying our EBU engine counterparts to drop in an ISB4.5 to the light pickups instead of an entirely new V8.

Corporate never did listen to us or communicate. It was one-way with acquired BU's. Too bad - another fiasco for Cummins.

My brother has a diesel Titmouse. It's a very good pickup. VERY expensive to maintain vs the gasoline-powered Titmouse, but a very good pickup.

Back