2017 GMC Terrain 2.4 oil change....1 quart overfilled.

I handle the oil changes on my moms 2017 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 4 cylinder. I try to keep oil / filter changes at 3000 mile intervals due to the reputation of this engine. I haven't been brand loyal with engine oil on this car, I generally give it whatever Dexos 5w30 is on sale at WM. So far that has been PP 5w30, Castrol Edge 5w30, Mobil 1 5w30 and just yesterday M1 EP 5w30.

Up until now upon draining the oil around the 3,000 to 4,000 mile mark the level has always stayed full with no notable oil usage. Well yesterday when I did the oil change, a full 6 quarts drained out. This has a 5 quart sump.

They just recently took it on a 1000 mile + trip so I had assumed my dad "topped off" the oil as is his custom before a trip, but he claims he did not. If that is the case then 1 quart of fuel was in the sump. My mom was there for the conversation and she thought that as some point recently, he had added some oil but he claims he did not. So I have no proof either way at this point. I'll just move forward with strict 3,000 mile OCI's to make sure that fuel doesn't have as long a chance to accumulate if that is even what is going on here.

Due to their road trip this oil change interval was just over 5,000 miles vs the usual 3,000-4,000. To me it seems odd that only 1000 miles would produce a noticeable increase in fuel dilution, especially with the last 1000+ miles being highway driven. Will monitor moving forward and update. Current mileage is 86,200 mi.

EDIT: I just checked the maintenance records, this was IN FACT a 3,000 mile oil change interval. Including the recent road trip. So I will closely monitor the oil level. Hopefully make up oil was added and he just forgot vs. heavy fuel dilution. Another though I am just now realizing, I did use an oil extractor with the two most recent oil changes. Maybe it didn't retrieve all 5 quarts with the previous change and some residual was left in the sump, resulting in an initial overfill. I am skeptical of that however, as I recall the extractor pulling out nearly 5 quarts. Time will tell.

Last edited:
gregk24 is a good son! is this 2.4 engine so iffy that it really needs full synthetic oil/filter changes at 3k miles? would 5k mile oci be ok? i wonder how is the 2017 gmc terrain doing otherwise...always appreciate a well-informed user’s car review!

gregk24 is a good son! is this 2.4 engine so iffy that it really needs full synthetic oil/filter changes at 3k miles? would 5k mile oci be ok? i wonder how is the 2017 gmc terrain doing otherwise...always appreciate a well-informed user’s car review!
Mechanically it has been a decent vehicle. The only problem it has had mechanically was a bad sensor (can’t remember the name) I believe is was the camshaft position sensor. Anyways, that part failed and caused the vehicle to stall out at speed. The dealer refused to fix it until the CEL came on even though it is a very common issue on the 2.4. It was a serious safety issue and as soon as the CEL came on I told my mom to drive straight to the dealer. Guess what the problem was…

The only other problem it has had is poor factory paint. Multiple spots on the roof where the clear coat, paint and primer came off and the dealer refused to do anything stating it was caused by the environment. I went into the dealer again with my mom, chewed them out in front of everybody then called corporate. The roof got repainted.

Unfortunately now the hood has the same issue. It’s too bad because the car looks good otherwise.

gregk24 is a good son! is this 2.4 engine so iffy that it really needs full synthetic oil/filter changes at 3k miles? would 5k mile oci be ok?
I was going to give him a pass, but since you went there.

This engine has a bit of a rep for timing/balance chain problems and burning oil, GM reprogramed the Oil Life monitors as part of the "fix". Still IMO 3k synthetic oil change is over the top...

Their equipment and money though...

Mechanically it has been a decent vehicle. The only problem it has had mechanically was a bad sensor (can’t remember the name) I believe is was the camshaft position sensor. Anyways, that part failed and caused the vehicle to stall out at speed. The dealer refused to fix it until the CEL came on even though it is a very common issue on the 2.4.
A common issue with the 2.4, other than the timing chain issues, oil consumption, and a poorly designed PCV system, was those stupid VVT solenoids. Is that possibly what you’re trying to remember?
We have not bought a single one of those vehicles without having to address those issues here and there. Of course some of the reasons the codes for the VVT solenoids were thrown is because they can’t do what they’re designed to do when they have no oil to work with, but that’s not always the case. People running them 7-10,000 miles without checking the oil is what has killed a lot of these engines.
We’ve stop buying them for the car lot because people have learned of the reputation of the 2.4l and simply will not look at one even if it is a great running vehicle. Even buyers for the Car Mart‘s in our area that we have talked to have told us that Car Mart will no longer buy any GM product with that engine. They’re tired of the warranty issues.
What’s interesting is that I’ve seen plenty of very high mileage samples of that engine at auctions, probably owned by people that stayed on top of things, learned what to look out for, and maintained their vehicles well, much like you’re doing for your Mom. Good on you for doing that. 🍻
I will say, look up the PCV system on the 2.4 and watch out for those issues as well, I have replaced a rear main seal due to the PCV system problems on an Equinox with a 2.4l. GM’s PCV system on the 2.4’s and 1.4’s is absolute garbage with the 1.4l turbo being the worst offender of the two in my experience.

A common issue with the 2.4, other than the timing chain issues, oil consumption, and a poorly designed PCV system, was those stupid VVT solenoids. Is that possibly what you’re trying to remember?
We have not bought a single one of those vehicles without having to address those issues here and there. Of course some of the reasons the codes for the VVT solenoids were thrown is because they can’t do what they’re designed to do when they have no oil to work with, but that’s not always the case. People running them 7-10,000 miles without checking the oil is what has killed a lot of these engines.
We’ve stop buying them for the car lot because people have learned of the reputation of the 2.4l and simply will not look at one even if it is a great running vehicle. Even buyers for the Car Mart‘s in our area that we have talked to have told us that Car Mart will no longer buy any GM product with that engine. They’re tired of the warranty issues.
What’s interesting is that I’ve seen plenty of very high mileage samples of that engine at auctions, probably owned by people that stayed on top of things, learned what to look out for, and maintained their vehicles well, much like you’re doing for your Mom. Good on you for doing that. 🍻
I will say, look up the PCV system on the 2.4 and watch out for those issues as well, I have replaced a rear main seal due to the PCV system problems on an Equinox with a 2.4l. GM’s PCV system on the 2.4’s and 1.4’s is absolute garbage with the 1.4l turbo being the worst offender of the two in my experience.
Yes, I believe it was that solenoid. Isn’t that PCV issue only a problem in freezing temps?

Yes, I believe it was that solenoid. Isn’t that PCV issue only a problem in freezing temps?
You are correct, being in Florida, you probably shouldn’t have to worry so much about it freezing up I suppose. I would still keep that line cleaned out as much as possible though, I’ve seen them pretty gunked up when I would remove everything to get at the VVT solenoids.

I was going to give him a pass, but since you went there.

This engine has a bit of a rep for timing/balance chain problems and burning oil, GM reprogramed the Oil Life monitors as part of the "fix". Still IMO 3k synthetic oil change is over the top...

Their equipment and money though...
Wife has a 2015 equinox with this engine and I used to go 5K intervals until one day she started it and I heard a rattle (timing chain) ever so slightly then cleared up. I then told her to shut it off, I then pulled dipstick and instantly smelled fuel as well as being a half a quart low. I made her drive the truck to WM and get the oil and filter and changed it that day. Since then it goes 4K MAX on oil changes. These engines are very easy to neglect leading to either ring blowby and consumption, to stretched chains from people not keeping an eye on their oil levels and usually (unlike most gm oil sensors) the sensor in these dont usually notify that you are low on oil until it is way too late. Essentially the engine will lock up before the low oil light will display. I read somewhere why that was but I cant remember.

We have around 145k miles on her (we bought it new) and honestly it has been a FLAWLESS car and engine. These 2.4s can be very great little engines, they just need a little more maintenance attention than most. I have replaced the intake and exhaust solenoids (very common problem) on these. Especially if you neglect oil changes.

These engines truly are hell on oil. I have yet to do a uoa but when I do I will post it on here. It has used regular mobil 1 5w30 since the dealers free 2 year oil changes at the time were up.

1980s Volvo station wagon with 5.0L engine and T5 transmission from Fox body Mustang.

My 2014 2.4 Terrain I put a gm oem venting oil cap, so if for some reason pressure builds, it will no blow the rear main seal, the cap costs $12 on Amazon part number FC219, cheap insurance. Those vvt solenoids only take 5 minutes to replace, super easy, did mine, but wasn't issue. My 2.4 stalls only at starts, unless I add 6oz of Bardahl no smoke thst thickens oil, otherwise it's great.

What type of oil extractor did you use ? I have a Mityvac and it has graduations molded in to the side of the container to show how much oil has been extracted. They aren't easy to see at a glance so I took a Sharpie and enhanced them plus added a mark in between the liter graduations to show half liters. You might want to make a witness mark on yours for the maximum sump capacity so you'll know right away if a lot more than is expected is being pumped out.

Back