2017 Ford F-150 3.5 EB - MotorCraft SynBld 5W-30 (7,100 miles)

SMB

Hello all,
My 1st UOA on my 2017 F150 w/ 3.5 EB. The oil pan gasket was replaced when the oil was changed. Guessing the silicone came from there.
It is my work truck. I use it a lot for towing my trailers.

Q99180.jpg

I probably wouldn't run that oil for 10,000 miles, as Blackstone suggested. The TBN is fine after 7k miles, but I wouldn't push it that much further.

Insolubles are higher than typical for most engines, but I'm not sure what's normal the Ecoboost. Some of it could be from the silicon, or other contamination during the oil pan work. Some of it could be from the soot that GDI engines tend to produce (which caused timing chain issues on older Ecoboost engines). Insolubles in general can encourage sludge formation. A more efficient oil filter may help reduce it, unless it is from soot, which is too small to be filtered. I'd check the airbox to make sure it's clean, even though the silicon and insolubles are probably from the oil pan seal.

If BS is referring to THIS oil sample to run 10k I would not follow their lead. This is due to the Silicon level. It's at a high level & running this any further is not my recommendation.
What is proposed is to get some cheap oil & run it for a bit,
Edit: You did change this oil... good!

As usual, I’m a sucker for into looking at any EcoBoost UOA. Thanks for posting it.

EcoBoosts often suffer from fuel dilution, and despite what Blackstone says, it’s possible yours does too…if you used a lab that legitimately tested for it through Gas Chromatography, you would have a better idea of how bad it is (or isn’t). Blackstone doesn’t cut it when it comes to fuel dilution reporting…they merely “estimate“ from the flashpoint reading. Oil Analyzers and TestOil use the proper gas chromo testing.

Now I don’t like seeing viscosity below the grade recommended. Whether because of fuel dilution, and/or shear, your MC is way below the minimum viscosity for 5w30...way below (That’s fact, not opinion). Yours tested at 8.12, mid-5w20 grade. 5w30 grade bottoms out at ~9.3? i had 2 UOA’s with viscosities at 8.2 and 8.4, and the fuel dilution was tested to be ~4.3-4.7%. opinion: I would think in Florida, you could “compensate” by starting with a thicker oil, and/or using an oil with a higher HTHS spec. Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 comes to mind, offering both higher HTHS and higher Kv100 viscosity…and available at Walmart. It’s a very well-regarded oil. Quaker State Euro 5w40 is another option as is Castrol Edge Euro 0w40. Note, all these are “euro.” There are members here using these oils in their EcoBoosts. I use Castrol Euro in my Subaru. I have used the “well-respected” Quaker State “American” Full Synthetic 5w30 in my EcoBoost, and it was borderline after only 3k miles…again a big part of the issue is the fuel dilution…so it makes sense to “compensate” for it…within reason.

@SMB — how’s the oil level been on the dipstick during your usage of this truck? 🧐 Stays nice and full? No need to add oil between oil changes? 😏

@SMB — how’s the oil level been on the dipstick during your usage of this truck? 🧐 Stays nice and full? No need to add oil between oil changes? 😏
I never added any oil. We bought this truck back in 2020 with about 45K miles. Always changed the oil between 6K and 8K miles. I checked the oil level from time to time and it would be fine. Though I should be checking the level more regularly.

I probably wouldn't run that oil for 10,000 miles, as Blackstone suggested. The TBN is fine after 7k miles, but I wouldn't push it that much further.

Insolubles are higher than typical for most engines, but I'm not sure what's normal the Ecoboost. Some of it could be from the silicon, or other contamination during the oil pan work. Some of it could be from the soot that GDI engines tend to produce (which caused timing chain issues on older Ecoboost engines). Insolubles in general can encourage sludge formation. A more efficient oil filter may help reduce it, unless it is from soot, which is too small to be filtered. I'd check the airbox to make sure it's clean, even though the silicon and insolubles are probably from the oil pan seal.
I normally run the oil between 6 and 8K miles. If I remember correctly, OLM shows the oil has about 20% left.
If BS is referring to THIS oil sample to run 10k I would not follow their lead. This is due to the Silicon level. It's at a high level & running this any further is not my recommendation.
What is proposed is to get some cheap oil & run it for a bit,
Edit: You did change this oil... good!
I'll run this oil for 6K and change it out. Thanks
As usual, I’m a sucker for into looking at any EcoBoost UOA. Thanks for posting it.

EcoBoosts often suffer from fuel dilution, and despite what Blackstone says, it’s possible yours does too…if you used a lab that legitimately tested for it through Gas Chromatography, you would have a better idea of how bad it is (or isn’t). Blackstone doesn’t cut it when it comes to fuel dilution reporting…they merely “estimate“ from the flashpoint reading. Oil Analyzers and TestOil use the proper gas chromo testing.

Now I don’t like seeing viscosity below the grade recommended. Whether because of fuel dilution, and/or shear, your MC is way below the minimum viscosity for 5w30...way below (That’s fact, not opinion). Yours tested at 8.12, mid-5w20 grade. 5w30 grade bottoms out at ~9.3? i had 2 UOA’s with viscosities at 8.2 and 8.4, and the fuel dilution was tested to be ~4.3-4.7%. opinion: I would think in Florida, you could “compensate” by starting with a thicker oil, and/or using an oil with a higher HTHS spec. Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 comes to mind, offering both higher HTHS and higher Kv100 viscosity…and available at Walmart. It’s a very well-regarded oil. Quaker State Euro 5w40 is another option as is Castrol Edge Euro 0w40. Note, all these are “euro.” There are members here using these oils in their EcoBoosts. I use Castrol Euro in my Subaru. I have used the “well-respected” Quaker State “American” Full Synthetic 5w30 in my EcoBoost, and it was borderline after only 3k miles…again a big part of the issue is the fuel dilution…so it makes sense to “compensate” for it…within reason.
We just bought another 2019 F150 with 3.5 EB. It has 75K miles now. Ill be ordering a UOA and post it for you.

Severe use on my 3.5 Powerboost and using up my remaining stock of QSFS 5w30. After about 3k it reeks of fuel, so I change it. Once I'm out of stock, I'm going to transition to a 5w40.

I suppose Ford has tested these ecoboost throughly enough that they aren’t concerned about the recommended grade of oil thinning or shearing down. It doesn’t seem to be hurting anything.

Back