2017 Civic second oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the first oil change myself at 7K at the one year mark with M1 and filter (I went 7K because there seems to be a consensus that the initial fill should be left in until the maintenance minder advises service).

I just hit the second birthday today with only 3K since the last oil change, with 60% on the maintenance minder (10K total miles).

Since it's one year from the last change, should I change the oil or just do it at 5K or when the maintenance minder hits 10%?

The oil from the dipstick really looks basically "new". I know that's not scientific, but it doesn't really look different from what comes out of the can. It's nothing approaching black oil or anything like that.

Originally Posted by jharrison
, with 60% on the maintenance minder (10K total miles).

I would follow this - wait until 05 remaining (or 5% if it bother you very much to get to 0%)

BTW - - - - The maintenance minder "thinks" you have filled it with conventional oil.

Changing out a high quality synthetic at the same interval as conventional doesn't make any economic sense.

Whatever was in the car originally wasn't of the same quality as the M1 synthetic (IMHO). It appeared very dirty very quickly (again, unscientific), but the oil turned black very quickly where the M1 didn't do that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
Since it has been 1 year change it if manual states so. Car is still in warranty.

That's what I would do while under warranty. Keep a log showing the miles and date, and receipts for the oil and filter used.

Since it has been 1 year change it if manual states so. Car is still in warranty.

Agree.

If it is in warranty follow factory guidelines.

I did the first oil change myself at 7K at the one year mark with M1 and filter (I went 7K because there seems to be a consensus that the initial fill should be left in until the maintenance minder advises service).

I just hit the second birthday today with only 3K since the last oil change, with 60% on the maintenance minder (10K total miles).

Since it's one year from the last change, should I change the oil or just do it at 5K or when the maintenance minder hits 10%?

The oil from the dipstick really looks basically "new". I know that's not scientific, but it doesn't really look different from what comes out of the can. It's nothing approaching black oil or anything like that.

Follow the owners manual. You stated it says to go by the maintenance minder (10K total miles), But it also states... OR one year.

...... meaning whichever comes first.

It's the 2.0L 6MT (no turbo BTW).

I think the n/a 2.0L is pretty easy on oil. I just drained the 0W20 on Tuesday and replaced it with PP 5W30 and a Fram TG7317.

I took mine in for the first servicing, and now have the dealer hounding me all the time with 'reminders'. I just tell them that the oil life monitor says it's not time.

I'd change it once a year. You can get synthetic oil for cheap anyways. Mobil 1 is ~$23 for 5 quarts and often times there is a rebate.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

Agree.

If it is in warranty follow factory guidelines.

I second this. Don't make it easy for them to deny you any warranty, keep your receipts then after the warranty is up do what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
, with 60% on the maintenance minder (10K total miles).

I would follow this - wait until 05 remaining (or 5% if it bother you very much to get to 0%)

BTW - - - - The maintenance minder "thinks" you have filled it with conventional oil.

Changing out a high quality synthetic at the same interval as conventional doesn't make any economic sense.

Isn't the programming done with 0W-20 as the recommended motor oil?

Originally Posted by y_p_w

The programming has no way of knowing what oil is in the car.

The program follows the "first choice" recommended oil listed in the car owners manual.

The program follows the "first choice" recommended oil listed in the car owners manual.

Which is 0W-20 for all 2017 Civics sold in the US.

Yes, but not all 0W-20 is synthetic. Getting the oil changed at the dealer will typically get you a synthetic blend unless you specifically ask for synthetic.

Originally Posted by Coastie05

Yes, but not all 0W-20 is synthetic. Getting the oil changed at the dealer will typically get you a synthetic blend unless you specifically ask for synthetic.

"Synthetic" these days is more a marketing term than anything else. The big thing is really whether or not the oil is capable of meeting the manufacturer's OCI, which in this case is . They're assuming the minimum standard of a 0W-20 which by definition is what would at least be marketed as a "semi-synthetic".

However, a marketing terms doesn't necessarily say whether or not a vehicle is really all that well suited for longer drains. A 2017 Civic is direct injection, so I'd be hesitant in almost any situation to go longer than what the maintenance minder figures as the time to change due to possible fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back