2017 Chevy Cruze Diesel Oil

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by whizbyu
and GM wondered why sales were low

...because BigOil doesn't want the rest of the US to know that diesel is more efficient than gasoline, and that it is actually cheaper than gasoline to make.

^^^^ FACTS!

Do note that it isn't JUST BigOil ... federal tax on diesel is higher than on gasoline. In many states, state tax on diesel is higher than on gasoline.

Diesel engines are more dirty than gasoline engines, they produse soot and ash. Modern diesel cars got advanced exhaust aftertreatment system that will fail over time that are expensive to fix. We are talking about EGR and soot filter inside exhaust system that clog up, not something a gasoline car deal with. Diesel is more efficient yes but modern diesel exhaust and aftertreatment componens are expensive to fix so i would just stick to gasoline unless its a truck.

Diesels "were" more efficient until after treatment and regen were invented. My neighbor's Ford truck is an example, he tells me that regen absolutely destroys his fuel savings. Maybe this truck has something wrong (he knows the fuel heater is bad) but he is not very happy with the whole thing.

Not just after-treatment systems, but more agressive EGR cycles. With the high pressures that common rail diesels run, the economy achievable is the best it has ever been. But because NOx gets such a bad rep EPA regulations require that all of the choking exhaust after-treatment devices be added on top of each other, severely limiting diesels' capability for longevity as well as fuel economy. Some brands purposely de-tune their diesels to promote the gas engine models as more "performance oriented" when a properly tuned diesel would hand a typical gasser its lunch every time, and especially from a rolling start.
As for the fuel heater being bad on your friend's truck: warm fuel is more easily combusted, therefore more efficient. If the heater replacement doesn't cost too much, he should probably swap it out and regain that lost efficiency.

I'd like to know the difference in European and American small diesels. Our son lives in a London suburb, and their vehicle that allows lowest taxes is a newer diesel ... Ford SMax ... which gets about 50 mpg (I don't know which gallon, assume the larger overseas one.

Diesels far far more common over there ... and emission requirements are similar to California in London. What do they build for them that we don't get?

I'm not a diesel guy but always wondered why diesel is more expensive than gasoline as it's definitely cheaper to produce.

If I didn't live in a cold climate I would swap a diesel 350 Olds into my Caprice and run it on veggie oil. Those diesels were okay after they fixed the original design and the head gasket bolts. The later ones mostly only died from owner abuse from everything I've heard.

It gets to below minus 20c regularly here sometimes as cold as minus 30c and I know that my gas engine even with a carburetor and no block heater will start right up every time. An old diesel wouldn't be like that even at the best of times.

I'm not a diesel guy but always wondered why diesel is more expensive than gasoline as it's definitely cheaper to produce.

It is not necessarily cheaper to produce. It is all dependent on the crude oil sources coming into the refinery. This is another delicate "dance" that refiners must do to ensure adequate supply. Gasoline demand goes up in the summertime compared to diesel, so the feedstocks must be balanced to compensate for those changes. Now add biodiesel into the mix, with required storage, blending, injecting, etc. Then take out sulfur, now you have to add lubricity additve, along with storage, blending, and injection system! In the end gasoline/diesel price spread is anybody's guess and best left to the professionals.

The price differences can vary so much, that profits can be made by storing one or the other during times when plentiful, and selling it during high demand periods. A dedicated team does this as well.

Originally Posted by kebabaluba
Diesel engines are more dirty than gasoline engines, they produse soot and ash. Modern diesel cars got advanced exhaust aftertreatment system that will fail over time that are expensive to fix. We are talking about EGR and soot filter inside exhaust system that clog up, not something a gasoline car deal with. Diesel is more efficient yes but modern diesel exhaust and aftertreatment componens are expensive to fix so i would just stick to gasoline unless its a truck.

You're behind the times... Direct injection gas engines produce soot aswell, and ash is a byproduct of the engine oil. EGR and soot filters are on gas engines aswell now.

My Colorado (only available as a diesel in Oz) gets 10l/100km - 23.5 USMPG...the gasser equivalents in most platforme are about 13l/100km, or 18MPG...mines got the emissions still there, had my first regen light in 56,000km due to COVID messing up my commute.

Aussies typically prefer the diesels, on all sorts of platforms, and there are acres oif them.

OP...Dexos 2...any of them, will meet yuor needs in the small GM diesels (or just about the needs of anything really).

Hi
I will stick my neck out now and say you would be ok using any oil you can find that meets MB229.51/52, Dexos2, LL04.
I happily put MB229.51 that I buy for my Jeep in my Vauxhall 1.6 engine.

Originally Posted by Jetronic
Since it is actually a Fiat sourced engine since 2014, you can look what FCA advises aswell.

The Cruze 2.0 16v was made by Opel in Germany. It's surprising how many people think it's a VM or FCA engine. My own opinion is that the LUZ is superior to the 2.0 CR diesels offered by VW during the same time period.

I believe the 1.6 Cruze engine was also produced by Opel.

Theres been 3 different 2.0 diesel engines in the Cruze. The first was an Opel design. The second was a daewoo licensed VM, the old timing belt diesel in the Hyundais and Kias was also a licensed copy of the same VM engine. The last diesels in the Cruze are Fiats. 1956cc is a dead giveaway. also they look identical AND parts from an LUZ fit a Fiat and vice versa.

The Opel "diesel engine design center" shares the same building with FPT in Italy. I guess photocopiers are shared aswell.

The 1.6 does use an aluminum engine block for Opels, I believe the Fiats use cast iron still so they have definitely gone a different route with that although the moving parts still share the same dimensions with the Fiats.

[Linked Image from truedelta.com]

That's a cruze diesel

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

And the 1.6 in an alfa romeo. 2.0 looks identical, as does the cruze engine bar some colouring

And then you have 2 completely different 1.6 CDTi-s...

One has 110PS....and the other (rare engine) is 140PS variant

Back