2017 Camaro SS convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rented a Camaro SS convertible in the Orlando area yesterday. Drove it 245 miles during the day. Here are my thoughts.

On my cell phone at epcot while wife shops so report will be terse.

Fast!
Handles great. Seats very supportive and comfortable.

2017 with 34000 miles.

Tire light was on. Hertz guy measured tires to assure me it was a sensor issue and the tires were fine.

Idle was a little rough. Sounded like one cyl was a little off.

Ride was a little rough but not too bad. It was loud with the top down and loud with it up, too.

Top speed I hit was 98 mph and it was very stable at that speed and barely taxing the engine.

Visibility is horrible. Especially in parking lots.

2 hours in the car felt like a long time.

Beautiful car but too much for a daily driver.

Pet peeve: had to hold down button to open and close roof. Should be one touch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
Pet peeve: had to hold down button to open and close roof. Should be one touch.

Probably a safety thing.

had to hold down button to open and close roof.

My gf's Mustang convertible is the same way.

The rough idle is actually normal for the LT1 engine, a lot of people complain about it at first, until they realize it's the lope of the cam. It feels like a misfire, but it's really not.

Originally Posted by Patman
The rough idle is actually normal for the LT1 engine, a lot of people complain about it at first, until they realize it's the lope of the cam. It feels like a misfire, but it's really not.

Sounds reasonable to me. Didn't affect performance that I could tell.

Originally Posted by ls1mike

Beautiful car but too much for a daily driver.

We need to talk...;)

Too much effort to drive it. I had to lower the seat to see out of the windshield properly and then had to sit up a bit to see over the fenders to make turns in parking lots. The new Mustang, despite the large hood, is more livable and easier to drive.

My boss says the cure for rough idle is to stomp it in 1st gear …
wink.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
had to hold down button to open and close roof.

My gf's Mustang convertible is the same way.

Every convertible I have ever owned (3 of them: 1 Mercury, 1 Ford, 1 Chrysler) have all been set up that way.

Couple more things.

Got 18 mpg with spirited driving.

Took a little while to get used to the over steer. Maybe it was tighter steering than my Camry or maybe it was the RWD but I kept over turning at first and had to correct.

Forgot to turn off the traction controls. Been a long time since I've driven a RWD car. Had to make a u-turn in the Camaro and tried to turn the wheel and blip the gas pedal to get it to make a sharp u-turn. That didn't work. LOL

Some safety features the Camaro could use: Blind spot monitoring and rear traffic sensor. It has a rear view camera but not the sensor to alert the driver of cross traffic or pedestrians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back