2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited- 2 week impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
What purpose has a two wheel drive Jeep with no off road ability?

We are poor peasants compared to our UK masters

So they can keep making Wrangler Rubicons that can tackle pretty hairy off-road situations fresh from the showroom. The light bill needs to be paid somehow, and Wranglers can't do it alone.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Shame you did not get a chance to sample the Pentastar engine in that thing. You would go from meh to pretty darn fantastic drivetrain with not much of a hit to the fuel economy.

Yup. The 2.4L is more than adequate for the vehicle but the 3.2L makes it shine and as you said really no MPG hit. My 2014 Cherokee had the 3.2L and it was an awesome ride. easily in my top 3 vehicles owned all time.

Originally Posted By: Kira
To Nick R: You said, "It's an actual 9 speed transmission made by ZF".

Thanks for that. WOW, a 9 speed.....On that point, a 9 speed makes it possible to have a smaller engine.

Gotta see how much they cost in No. New Jersey. Kira

Unless it has been fixed since I owned my 14 Cherokee the 4 cyls really never reach the 9th gear. 8th at very high highway speeds is about the best they did. Even the 3.2L V6 rarely hits 9th( I don't ever drive over 65-70 so I never saw it but did get into 8th ).

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Can you get it with the Pentastar as someone mentioned? My neighbor recently picked up a white one. She traded in an Audi A3 for it.

Nick R, who did the repair work?

Do they make them in Toledo, Ohio?

Yes you can get it with a Pentastar BUT it is the 3.2L not the 3.6L. MY 14 Cherokee had the 3.2L. The Cherokee with the 3.2L is a little rocket. MPG is excellent with it as well.

Originally Posted By: car51
Those are not reliable at all. Recalled already for trans problems. Also thermostats are going bad in them as I have did well over 200 already. I would NOT buy this vehicle

I hate to question when other people post their hands on experience but I have to question that you have done 200+ thermostats already on the new Cherokee( 2014+ ). If one shop had seen that many failures on a 2 year old model( 1st year was 2014 for KL Cherokee )then it would be a wide spread epidemic and all the other shops would be seeing it too. That kind of extremely high failure rate would make news and even lead to TSB's and even recalls. I do not find that to be the case in my viewing Cherokee forums or even searching out this issue. Seems like an exaggeration?

As far as trans problems yes they had some. What would you expect out of a brand new vehicle model and transmission? It will have some bugs and growing pains. Especially an electronically controlled 9spd. At least Chrysler acknowledges the issue and tried to correct it( and did to my knowledge ). There were a few early catastrophic failures where Chrysler replaced entire transmissions but most of the later stuff was programming. More an annoyance than a danger. A little wobble( similar to a tire out of balance )for a second or two in the 1-2 gear shift and for many you even have to be making a turn for it to happen. That's the major trans issue with the KL Cherokee.

I have seen vehicles with far more serious problems than the KL Cherokees have. They have their problems like ALL cars do but nothing that would lead me to try and tell people not to buy one. I see them everywhere now. There is a reason for that. They are really good vehicles.

Are you Chrysler bias or something? I don't mean that offensive( seriously it is just a question ).

I would buy a KL Cherokee again in a second!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

We are poor peasants compared to our UK masters

Affluence is not the issue here, there armor competent off road vehicles available for less and more competent on road vehicles for less. It seems like this jeep takes a lot of the negative aspects of the compromise without many of the positive aspects.

Affluence is not the issue here, there armor competent off road vehicles available for less and more competent on road vehicles for less. It seems like this jeep takes a lot of the negative aspects of the compromise without many of the positive aspects.

Here's your mistake: a 2wd 2016 Cherokee is no more a competent off road vehicle than any other 2wd fwd cute ute. This one happens to wear the Jeep name.

I own a 2014 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 and its been a great little SUV. My wife drives it everyday and averages 25mpg. On trips we have seen as high as 31mpg. Yes, ours did have the slight wobble on the 1-2 upshift but it was fixed by replacing the front axles. It has had one reprogram for the transmission and it shifts very smooth.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Here's your mistake: a 2wd 2016 Cherokee is no more a competent off road vehicle than any other 2wd fwd cute ute. This one happens to wear the Jeep name.

It's not a mistake, it's a fact.
If you look at all the off road vehicles that are available, many of them will have a lower purchase price and a higher degree of competence when off road. So it's true, there are more competent off road vehicles available for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back