2016 Ford F-150 2.7 ecoboost vibration

Hi all, reaching out for advice. I test drove a clean 2016 F150 2.7 ecoboost 4x4 last week with 88k miles. Truck ran great and engine had great low-end torque; tires all in great shape. Only thing was I did notice a vibration at >60mph on the highway. This is a constant vibration that starts at 60 and can be felt throughout the truck. It can even been “seen” in the rear view mirror. Once speed slows below about 60, truck is smooth as can be.

I took it to get a pre-purchase inspection and the report showed rotors needed replacing. Dealer did that. I test drove again this morning and was fully prepared to purchase, but the vibration is still there so I told them I want that remedied before I make the purchase. Salesmen said they would send it back to service. One other thing the inspection reported was that the lower control arm bushings were starting to tear and this may cause the vibration. The dealer didn’t repair this (as of yet).

What gives here? What could cause the truck to vibrate (not shake per se) - feels like a massage chair almost on your bottom - at highway speeds?
I really like the truck and it’s in my price range, but I just don’t want to go buy something with a known issue that will cost me down the road. Thanks all!

Tires flat from sitting on the lot for a bit? Maybe ask the dealer if you can drive it for a few days to see if they smooth out?

Only 88k miles, but I am thinking a crack in the cap of a rear u-joint. Those types of cracks are often not easily visible unless the drive shaft is dropped.

Seen a like vibration multiple times of F super duty trucks, but not on a truck with only 88k miles.

driveshaft Vibration is fast… since it turns between 3-4 times the speed of the tires. So it’s approaching a buzz you can begin to hear almost like a subwoofer tone at those speeds. Those can be easy to fix but requiring a specialty beyond tire balancing. Tire shake will show as a typical fast shudder at 55 IME. the description of massage chair shake makes me think it’s just a tire/wheel balance. If its in your price, I might be willing to take the risk, or see if they have an extended Ford (not third party) warranty. Considering the possibility for $1200 o-ring replacements on the turbo cooling lines, this is a vehicle I would consider an extended warranty on, IF it is reputable, or setting aside the equivalent cash of the warranty cost, as they know the math… overall your repairs will be less than the cost of warranty Across the board.

I am guessing it’s the driveshaft/driveline too but that’s a guess.

I would keep this deal on a very short leash. If they cannot remedy the problem after the next fix I would move on.

driveshaft Vibration is fast… since it turns between 3-4 times the speed of the tires. So it’s approaching a buzz you can begin to hear almost like a subwoofer tone at those speeds. Those can be easy to fix but requiring a specialty beyond tire balancing. Tire shake will show as a typical fast shudder at 55 IME. the description of massage chair shake makes me think it’s just a tire/wheel balance. If its in your price, I might be willing to take the risk, or see if they have an extended Ford (not third party) warranty. Considering the possibility for $1200 o-ring replacements on the turbo cooling lines, this is a vehicle I would consider an extended warranty on, IF it is reputable, or setting aside the equivalent cash of the warranty cost, as they know the math… overall your repairs will be less than the cost of warranty Across the board.
A buzz at highway speeds almost hits the nail on the head. It’s a constant “buzz” or quick vibration at 65mph or fast. Completely goes away below 60mph.

A buzz at highway speeds almost hits the nail on the head. It’s a constant “buzz” or quick vibration at 65mph or fast. Completely goes away below 60mph.
That sounds like driveline. It’d be interesting to call a different dealer, tell them you’re looking at a used Ford truck and ask the service department if they have a history on that vin. Might show something.

I passed on it today. I talked to many people and considered all of your info too.

Always quality non-biased information from the group and it’s much appreciated!

My fiancé's 2017 F150 had an issue with vibration soon after she bought it new. Had the tires balanced and that seemed to help some but it was still there. A few months ago, I noticed that the steering wheel wasn't straight when driving down the road. We had the truck aligned and that took care of the vibration.

Back