2015 Tacoma, 1,015 miles, Factory Fill Rear Diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double-Cab V6 4WD. I always change factory fill fluids early. I thought it would be fun/interesting to perform UOAs on the factory fill, just for curiosity's sake. This sample is from the rear differential. I was curious about:

1) Whether Toyota really uses 75W-85 as factory fill. (Yep, they *do*)

2) Whether it really is worth it to change out factory fill so early. After seeing this UOA, I think it is, but you be the judge. Keep in mind there is only 1,015 miles, and 3 months since the truck was built.

What do you think?

Wow looking at this i'd say its worth it alright. And to think 90% of people would probably leave that stuff in for another 15 years...
I's change it again in a year or so and then every 50-100k after that

I wonder how many trucks never get this changed and then rack up 200,000 plus miles on the factory oil? Interesting with only 1,000 miles on it though.

The magnet on the drain plug was pretty full of dark metallic sludge. There was even a large (1/8 inch) metal shaving of some sort within the sludge.

I replaced the factory fill rear diff oil on my falcon about a month ago. Had about 206,000 km on it and it came out black and nasty! Gonna change it again in about a years time to get it pretty fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back