2015 Chevy Trax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2015 Chevy Trax AWD for the wife. The 99 Durango had over 200k miles and while still working ok, was starting to ask for nickels and dimes. It will make a fine emergency car.

The Trax is a lot bigger inside then I thought it would be, power from the 1.4 turbo is more then adequate, and more then she will use. 4 oil changes courtesy of GM, I'm sure I'll double that easy.

I'll put some studded snows on it next week for the winter, gotta find some replacement wheels for the summer. The sister vehicle Buick Encore runs 18" wheels while this has 16's. I wonder if Cruze or Sonic wheels are the same?

Last edited:
A lot quieter then I thought it would be. No wind noise at all. I only drove it from the dealership to home, the wife took it and I haven't seen it since lol

GM people....fill us in on that smaller engine/turbo combo.

It seems like manufacturers keep going with turbo's in the last few years. Will that be good long-term?

Congrats! I'm liking the mini crossovers. There need to be more with manual transmission ... or any at all

Can you get a picture of the rear axle / suspension?

I'll give a dollar to the first person who can pronounce the name of the assembly plant where the Trax and Encore are built
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
I'll give a dollar to the first person who can pronounce the name of the assembly plant where the Trax and Encore are built
smirk.gif

I'm looking at it and cant even pronounce it. Lets just say Korea.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Congrats! I'm liking the mini crossovers. There need to be more with manual transmission ... or any at all

Can you get a picture of the rear axle / suspension?

I will try tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

It seems like manufacturers keep going with turbo's in the last few years. Will that be good long-term?

I asked that question myself but I do know there are a lot of small turbo motors out there by many manufacturers with a lot of miles on them. You can be sure I'll be on top of the oil changes!

Its an Aveo/Sonic CUV,I'm surprised they lowered the "status" of Buick by offering the Encore (a former Renault label).Of course Buick did offer the Monza clone "Starfire" in 1975,and the senior compact "Special" in 1961..

18 wheelers run 1,000,000 miles ...

Come now. That's comparing apples and asteroids.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
The sister vehicle Buick Encore runs 18" wheels while this has 16's. I wonder if Cruze or Sonic wheels are the same?

Congrats on the car, but why would you want to waste money on 18" wheels? I'd go with something with a bit more sidewall and low-cost, high quality tire options..

Good luck with it.

Ok, 1970's tech MB diesels used both turbocharging and egr on a fully mechanically controlled system that is also good for a million miles.

Newer ones are more power dense, but everything else is better these days.

Same 1.4T/6T40 as in the Cruze, Sonic, and Encore. Very good engine, decent transmission. Run a synthetic 5w-30 and change it regularly, and it should have no issues. The 1.4T in my Cruze has been a reliable powerplant. GM did a good job of sizing the turbo for daily drivability, and in tuning the powertrain to minimize turbo lag. It is a bit of a dog in the summer on 87 octane, and perks right up when fueled with 89 or higher when the temperature is above about 60*F.

Bolt pattern is 5x105, same as a Cruze or Sonic. Any 16"-18" Sonic/Cruze/Encore wheel should bolt right up and clear the brakes.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: c502cid
The sister vehicle Buick Encore runs 18" wheels while this has 16's. I wonder if Cruze or Sonic wheels are the same?

Congrats on the car, but why would you want to waste money on 18" wheels? I'd go with something with a bit more sidewall and low-cost, high quality tire options..

Good luck with it.

Eh, what is waste to some is enjoyment for others. I think 18's will be big on that. I have 17's on the WS6 and 18's on the Truck.

OK. Riddle me this...

Nobody thinks twice about a Turbodiesel in a pickup getting 2-300k. Yet turbo a gas engine and it's doomsday.

Nobody thinks twice about a turbo I6 Diesel in a truck yet a turbo V6 gas is not trustworthy.

Well, have you seen the bottom end on Diesel as compared to a gasser? I think that is what people think about when they says stuff like that.

I am not saying forced induction gas motors are bad. I have had a bunch of Turbo Dodges that ran forever, plus my supercharged cars. I trust them just fine, I have been eyeing a new Regal GS. I know I just got the Grand Prix, but I would park it and save it for my son.

Took the words right out of my keyboard. You simply cannot compare the two, on any scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back