2015 Chevy Traverse: severe sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, that's contamination. if you're not losing coolant, check your PCV. probably what is causing the emission code as well as the excess condensation.

someone prob didnt change tht oil filter. they are a pain in the butt to get off without burning myself

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
someone prob didnt change tht oil filter. they are a pain in the butt to get off without burning myself

Yes, especially after being on highway for while

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
I would fill and drain the cengine with kerosene. Then fill it with cheap oil and a cheap filter, run it a 50 miles and change it again.

Why?

The oil and filter are obviously doing their job under unusual and EXTREME circumstances.

The car has new oil and filter in/on it now, so let's see how the next round looks.

A KERO fill, set over night and drain is cheap. Does a good job of cleaning, and hurts nothing. If you can pressurize the oil system even better. Then do the same when you put the oil in it. I am used to working on low tech, old school stuff so that's a factor.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
A KERO fill, set over night and drain is cheap. Does a good job of cleaning, and hurts nothing. If you can pressurize the oil system even better. Then do the same when you put the oil in it. I am used to working on low tech, old school stuff so that's a factor.

You've suggested that twice now in this thread, yet no one knows at this point if the engine is sludged, only the filter.

Could it be that the filter was left on for a couple of OCIs? Someone was too lazy to change filter.

Is there still any powertrain warranty left on the car? I'd be looking into that, there's something really wrong with it to be doing that so badly already! Looks like someone changed the oil with muddy swamp water!

Obviously water getting in. Probably coolant. If you think that's bad there is probably heavy sludge in the oil pan. It will starve the oil pump at some point.

I cracked a cylinder head on a Dodge Ram 318. I just kept driving it. It went a while but an engine without oil flow will die. I put a used engine in the truck and reused the oil pan. It was jello inside. Oil pump wasn't pumping oil.

I would recommend pulling your oil pan to see what's in there.

Originally Posted By: FastLane

Pretty sure he said they've already done several oil changes since. Hence:

Originally Posted By: car51
We did a few 400-500 miles changes with some Magnatec 5w30 synthetic he supplied. Seemed to soften and liquify the sludge after half hour of driving. Keeping our fingers crossed
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: FastLane

Pretty sure he said they've already done several oil changes since. Hence:

Originally Posted By: car51
We did a few 400-500 miles changes with some Magnatec 5w30 synthetic he supplied. Seemed to soften and liquify the sludge after half hour of driving. Keeping our fingers crossed
smile.gif

Yep, and the oil pan is not getting pulled. Friend just took a road trip to Kentucky to visit his sister and aunt and uncle and said it drove fine. No coolant use and clean thru fill cap
smile.gif

It looks like someone got "charged" for an oil/filter change(s) and nothing was changed - maybe just wiped clean and oil topped up.

When I was a teen (1960) I worked for a garage that specialized in "bumper-to-bumper grease jobs" .....
That's a little grease on each bumper and a dab on the steering wheel so they knew we serviced it.
56.gif

Thanks for the cut and post as well as the updates, Car51. Looks like the owner is now good to go. Can't wait to see his next filter cut open

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Thanks for the cut and post as well as the updates, Car51. Looks like the owner is now good to go. Can't wait to see his next filter cut open

Yeah, when he gets back we will hack the filter open
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
More is going on here than condensation.

That's a silly assumption also
smile.gif

OMG, that's ugly. Never buy used without some ability to definitively determine the maintenance history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back