2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 1541 miles, 36 months - M1 V-Twin PC/TAN/TBN

A Super Premium 5. The Particle count is fine. It's also highly variable based on sample method.
Good to know. Still trying to figure out the particle count data. I'm running a "rock catcher" supposed 35 micron absolute K&P reusable oil filter on my '01 FLHR. I'll do a particle count with my next UOA and see how it compares to a "normal" oil filter like this.

Good to know. Still trying to figure out the particle count data. I'm running a "rock catcher" supposed 35 micron absolute K&P reusable oil filter on my '01 FLHR. I'll do a particle count with my next UOA and see how it compares to a "normal" oil filter like this.

We've had some discussion, you really cant compare unless you know exactly how the sample was taken. I can swing them 9 or ten points just in my sample method with the same filter.

We've had some discussion, you really cant compare unless you know exactly how the sample was taken. I can swing them 9 or ten points just in my sample method with the same filter.
I sample the same exact method every time. Pull a sample after 2qts have drained. Engine oil hot after freeway run of same distance.

I sample the same exact method every time. Pull a sample after 2qts have drained. Engine oil hot after freeway run of same distance.

How long does it take you from the time the engine stops turning to your 2 quart sample?

I pull mine immediately after the engine stops or in the case of the Harley - with it running.

A few minutes makes a big difference.

How long does it take you from the time the engine stops turning to your 2 quart sample?

I pull mine immediately after the engine stops or in the case of the Harley - with it running.

A few minutes makes a big difference.
A couple minutes max. I usually have everything staged and ready to go when I shut down.
With my '22 Subaru I'm doing 3000mi OCIs due to the heavy GDI fuel dilution and currently I'm also running a reusable K&P oil filter on it, same as Harley, and I'm doing a little experiment. Will do my usual UOA but adding particle count. Then I'm going to replace oil and put a Fram Ultra on it and repeat same OCI with analysis and particle count and see how they compare. Same sampling methods etc. I would assume the Ultra will have quite a bit lower particle count numbers but we shall see.😎

Reactions: twX
Back