2014 FXT MAP Sensor Oil-Coated

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Based on another post, I decided to pull my MAP sensor (PRESSURE sensor, to be clear) in my 2014 Forester XT, which is installed directly atop the intake manifold, aft. It was coated with a very thin film of a very dark, oily like substance that had a 3D geometry (it stuck out from the bulb) A spritz of MAF cleaner from each of the four axis had it looking like new.

I've never seen a MAP sensor that looked, well, kinda like a MAF sensor. Any thoughts?

I forgot to grab a pic and will do so when I get the chance, but here's a dirtier example from another FXT:

[Linked Image]

Now that I think about it, I also forgot to add a dab of dielectric grease to the connector, which I do any time I take one apart.

//

P.s., the MAP sensor in my '15 Legacy 2.5 (non-turbo) is located in the same exact location, but appears as a normal MAP sensor of old, except it dips into the intake manifold, too, instead of having a vacuum tube attached to it.

That MAP sensor also houses a Temperature Thermistor......(Manifold Air Temp Sensor). You can most likely see the Resistor.

Still technically a MAP sensor no matter how many BAR's it's capable of reading.

I clean the one on my 2015 WRX periodically. It gets covered with a oil film nothing major.

Last edited:
Fascinating...thanks for the info, I'm going to have to take a look at mine now.
I know I have a nearly full can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner laying around from my misadventure with spraying CRC intake valve cleaner through the open airbox, it sure did the trick back then.
Going to change my oil soon, so that will be a good time to take a look at this sensor.

the sensor comes out easily. You'll just need a 10mm socket.

The seal is an o-ring seal, so make sure to inspect the o-ring prior to installing it when you're done cleaning.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
the sensor comes out easily. You'll just need a 10mm socket.
The seal is an o-ring seal, so make sure to inspect the o-ring prior to installing it when you're done cleaning.

Thanks for the tips!

Last time I ran my can of CRC in my 15 FXT, I ran it through the MAP sensor hole and the sensor was looking like yours, I cleaned it with a MAF sensor and put it back. I assume it's oil vapour that'a coming from the PCV system... I'm looking at a catch can as soon as warranty expires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
Last time I ran my can of CRC in my 15 FXT, I ran it through the MAP sensor hole and the sensor was looking like yours, I cleaned it with a MAF sensor and put it back. I assume it's oil vapour that'a coming from the PCV system... I'm looking at a catch can as soon as warranty expires.

I think you're absolutely right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back