2014 Civic w/ 15" Steel Rims and GTRadial IcePro

Status
Not open for further replies.
We traded in the 2011 Impala and picked up a 2014 Civic EX Coupe with the 1.8l/CVT back in July. Nice little car that is great on gas, around 35mpg.

Picked up a set of 15" steel wheels from an early 2000s V6 Accord and am fitting them with a set of GTRadial Champiro IcePro winter tires in 195/65/15. These tires were a very good buy at $59 with $50 rebate on a set of 4. Comes out to $186 with free shipping.

http://bit.ly/1Ki79z1

Money has been a little tighter than usual, so I figured we would get a set of these. Usually I don't go much for the low-cost, off-brand, Chinese tires. Reviews on YouTube and online seemed very positive.

I'll let you all know how well they do.

Those tires are made in China of an inferior rubber compound. They will have worse performance than an all season and they will wear out very quickly. I wouldn't trust those things carrying me safely on the road, nor would I want to be on the road.

Truthfully, I'd feel safer with you and others riding around on bald, dry cracked Michelins.

I am, of course, being completely facetious. I bought a set myself to replace a set of various-age Winterforce tires. Mainly because I wanted to get rid of the studs.

Congratulations on the new car. And thanks for properly equipping it for snow!

l3OZ6JZ.jpg

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Those tires are made in China of an inferior rubber compound. They will have worse performance than an all season and they will wear out very quickly. I wouldn't trust those things carrying me safely on the road, nor would I want to be on the road.

Truthfully, I'd feel safer with you and others riding around on bald, dry cracked Michelins.

One of the most knowledgeable guys on here bought those recently. Not to mention I doubt DT/DTD would even sell tires as bad as you describe.

redhat,

Congrats on the new Civic! I really like those cars.

I am, of course, being completely facetious. I bought a set myself to replace a set of various-age Winterforce tires. Mainly because I wanted to get rid of the studs.

Nice, because in another thread you said this:
smile.gif

Woah. That's $15 per cheaper than 185/65-15. Wonder if I can run 195/65 on my Focus ...

Edit - they are $57 a piece in the right size for the Focus. Guess I'm getting that size!

Looks like the discount is only valid if you receive the tires before the end of the day today. Oh well. Still had a good deal on them - $57 for a snow tire with free shipping.

Last edited:
LOL you guys make me laugh. Yes I don't care what car we ever get. It will always have a set of snows for the winter.

The Civic is my girlfriend's car and I always want her to be safe on the road. Her commute currently is 20+ miles one way. She is a manager of a Tim Hortons and her owner is building a new store about 5-7 minutes away from our apartment. I will worry a whole lot less if/when she gets that store. Maybe use a tank or two in a whole month.

And thanks too for the car compliments. Been so busy lately... will have to get around to some pics and maybe a post.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Nice, because in another thread you said this:
smile.gif

Woah. That's $15 per cheaper than 185/65-15. Wonder if I can run 195/65 on my Focus ...

Edit - they are $57 a piece in the right size for the Focus. Guess I'm getting that size!

Looks like the discount is only valid if you receive the tires before the end of the day today. Oh well. Still had a good deal on them - $57 for a snow tire with free shipping.

Yes! I was poking fun at those who apparently are tire-elitists and will only run the most expensive tire out there.

After the DTD discount, it was $38.25 ... with shipping ... for each of them.

@Miller -- I'm very impressed with what I see in regards to these IcePros. People on YouTube driving around seem to compare them to the Altimax Arctic and say they're splitting hairs as to the traction levels. Tread pattern looks great too.

The Accord is just a daily so if these IcePros work good on the Civic, I'd consider some for it (when the Altimax Arctics are done) for winter and potentially even consider some GTRadials for summer.

I have a set of GT Radial Champiro VP1 on my Focus and it rides smooth with no problems to report. Honestly, I'd buy another set if that means anything. I think they are decent tires based on my experience.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I have a set of GT Radial Champiro VP1 on my Focus and it rides smooth with no problems to report. Honestly, I'd buy another set if that means anything. I think they are decent tires based on my experience.

Thank you for the feedback. Their price point is hard to beat. If they have decent reviews, and DT sells them (as I find DT as a pretty big retailer to sell absolute junk), I think they may fit some of us very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back