2013 Pilot PCV valve - 85k miles

I'm not experiencing any oil consumption but I decided to replace the original PCV valve since I've heard it can be a **** to remove in these J35s at higher mileage, even breaking off in the engine. I removed it with the engine warm (based on a tip in a YouTube video) and it came out without much difficulty. It still rattled, although not as much as the new valve. With the exception of a few dealer OCIs with syn-blend, I run syn oil in this car.

PXL_20220723_201634172 - Copy-min - Copy.jpg

I also replaced a rusty radiator hose clamp that I suspected wasn't keeping proper tension and caused a small coolant leak. **** thing looked like it came from the Titanic. It wasn't fun to remove, mainly because of limited working space. The clamp in the neighboring hose also looks suspect and I wouldn't be surprised if it causes a leak in the coming future. #SaltBeltLife

Lost nearly 3/4th of a gallon of coolant in the repair process. At least the cooling system's now been freshened up. Bleeding the system took a while since the fans took their sweet time coming on, even in 85F weather. Had to rev the engine to 3000 RPM for I don't know how many minutes after it had reached operating temp. Looks like Honda designed a robust cooling system that doesn't run on the hotter side.
PXL_20220703_175314685 - Copy-min - Copy.jpg
PXL_20220723_185647461.MP - Copy-min - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I would not complain about you replacing any of that on a preventative basis! I think you caught things before they ever got bad! Excellent! (y) Those clamps were definitely time to be replaced. Did you feel the hoses? Were those getting hardened by age? I know on my Civic the heater core hoses were like that so I replaced both the clamps and the hoses. Just something to think about.. 1 less thing to worry about.

mclasser

What OCI interval does OP run? Looks like a lot of varnish for 85K.
5-7k miles; from what I've seen online, all these VCM J35 PCV valves take a beating. The ones where the owner ran dino oil look really bad.

5-7k miles; from what I've seen online, all these VCM J35 PCV valves take a beating. The ones where the owner ran dino oil look really bad.
I just changed one on a 3.5L VCM Acura with ~100K miles, lived on Mobil 1 vanilla all its life 4-5K changes and PCV had no varnish.

JHZR2

Staff member
PCV looks like the one on our odyssey. Varnish but not clogged or dysfunctional.

Interesting about those hose clamps. I need to check ours, though I’d probably wait until a TB/WP service to open the system and change all that. Doesn’t hurt to do it earlier though!

2011 acura mdx pcv crumbles when I tried to take it out last year at ~140K. Front valves and cover were caked with black gunk.