2013 N63T V8 4.4 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Some sites show 5w30 some 5w40
What would be best oil for this around 30k miles on car...

Redline ?
Castrol ?
M1 ?
Amsoil ?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Ndx
Hi Guys,

Redline ?
Castrol ?
M1 ?
Amsoil ?

Thank you

You need LL01 specification. There are multiple grades that fit LL01 specification as emphasis is on HTHS not grade: 0W30, 5W30, 0W40 or 5W40.
In Wal Mart you can find Castrol 0W40. It is stout, good oil. In N63 you do not want too thin oil because that engine's issue with vale stems etc. Now in 2013 it suppose to be N63TU version where A LOT of issues that N63 had were addressed. Still, considering turbos are in V bay, and ridiculous operating temperature, heavier grade would be best.
In Wal Mart you have several options:
Castrol Edge 0W40 is probably best option
Mobil1 0W40 FS is good, but seems watered down compared to pre-2015 (does not have LL01, but that is OK< BMW is phasing out that specification).
Castrol Edge 5W40 is available, but avoid it.
In the end, always look that il has MB 229.5 specification if not LL01 or together with LL01. Reason is that MB229.5 is more stringent.
As for Redline, Redline is murky story. They have their Ester based oils, but not approved. Their approved oils, Professional series is mediocre at best.
Amsoil has approved oil, but not enough information how they performed in these engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ndx
Hi Guys,

Redline ?
Castrol ?
M1 ?
Amsoil ?

Thank you

You need LL01 specification. There are multiple grades that fit LL01 specification as emphasis is on HTHS not grade: 0W30, 5W30, 0W40 or 5W40.
In Wal Mart you can find Castrol 0W40. It is stout, good oil. In N63 you do not want too thin oil because that engine's issue with vale stems etc. Now in 2013 it suppose to be N63TU version where A LOT of issues that N63 had were addressed. Still, considering turbos are in V bay, and ridiculous operating temperature, heavier grade would be best.
Mobil1 0W40 FS is good, but seems watered down compared to pre-2015 (does not have LL01, but that is OK< BMW is phasing out that specification).
In the end, always look that il has MB 229.5 specification if not LL01 or together with LL01. Reason is that MB229.5 is more stringent.
As for Redline, Redline is murky story. They have their Ester based oils, but not approved. Their approved oils, Professional series is mediocre at best.
Amsoil has approved oil, but not enough information how they performed in these engines.

What's wrong with the Edge 5-40????

You are a brave soul for owning one.

I would use the LL01FE 0W30 which has been back-spec'ed for all applications requiring LL01.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ndx
Hi Guys,

Redline ?
Castrol ?
M1 ?
Amsoil ?

Thank you

What's wrong with the Edge 5-40????

No MB 229.5.

Originally Posted by The Critic
You are a brave soul for owning one.

I would use the LL01FE 0W30 which has been back-spec'ed for all applications requiring LL01.

Any oil that is "backed-specd" is IMO sign to avoid it.
Reason why BMW started to use thinner oils is issues with short distances, particularly issues on N63 around that regime of driving.
Be aware that N63 everywhere else except US is specd. for LL01 or LL04 (Europe).

My commute is 0.4 mile each way ...
0w30 vs 0w40
LL01 vs LL01FE?

Thx guys ... N63tu... Had a lot issues fixed....
Not every N63 had issues ....

On top of that most common problem is the valve seals, agat makes tool ...to remove them without dropping engine or removing heads ....

I'm planning to do OCI Evey 6-8 k km ... To keep addstives fresh and seals happy.

Maybe even add some Liqui Moly seal conditioner ?

That's what I was thinking about using Redline .. as eater probably good for seals.

Originally Posted by Ndx
My commute is 0.4 mile each way ...
0w30 vs 0w40
LL01 vs LL01FE?

Thx guys ... N63tu... Had a lot issues fixed....
Not every N63 had issues ....

On top of that most common problem is the valve seals, agat makes tool ...to remove them without dropping engine or removing heads ....

I'm planning to do OCI Evey 6-8 k km ... To keep addstives fresh and seals happy.

Maybe even add some Liqui Moly seal conditioner ?

That's what I was thinking about using Redline .. as eater probably good for seals.

I did not fallow if TU has valve stem issues, but if so, stick to W40 oils. How often you drive it long distances? Blasting? If your driving is 0.4km 90% of time, consider Castrol Edge 0W30 available on Amazon.

I do for longer hwy drive on weekends....
Why 0w30 is better for short trips vs 0w40

Thank you

Originally Posted by Ndx
I do for longer hwy drive on weekends....
Why 0w30 is better for short trips vs 0w40

Thank you

First, 0W30 Edge is true synthetic, PAO between 50 and 75%. Second, cold pumpability is better, and third, it will reach operating temperature faster. 0W40 is thicker, it will create more resistance, but below 100c (which you will not reach in 0.4km) 0W30 will be thinner which is what you want in short distances.
Problem with Edge 0W30 is price. I snatched 6pack on Amazon for $48 and applied some coupon they had, and got it out of door for $36. Usually is going between $56 to $80 for 6 pack.

Edyvw thank you !
I'm in Canada at the moment ... And seems like they stock 1L 0w30
I just wonder why Castrol site says 5w40 lol

Hopefully Canadian 0w30 is PAO too

Edyvw is correct. I also have one of these motors. With your short commute I would keep to 0w30 as well, with 0w40 it seems to take much longer to get to operating temp. Unfortunately the 0w30 is much more money. I do also like the mobil 1 0w40 although it doesn't have BMW LL01 cert it is a very good oil and thinner than Castrol. I dont have a long OCI so I'm not worried about cert as much.

Originally Posted by Ndx
Edyvw thank you !
I'm in Canada at the moment ... And seems like they stock 1L 0w30
I just wonder why Castrol site says 5w40 lol

Hopefully Canadian 0w30 is PAO too

I think Canada gets same Castrol Edge Made in Belgium.

Originally Posted by Gixxer8989
Edyvw is correct. I also have one of these motors. With your short commute I would keep to 0w30 as well, with 0w40 it seems to take much longer to get to operating temp. Unfortunately the 0w30 is much more money. I do also like the mobil 1 0w40 although it doesn't have BMW LL01 cert it is a very good oil and thinner than Castrol. I dont have a long OCI so I'm not worried about cert as much.

Mobil1 0W40 FS does not have LL01 bcs they choose so. BMW is slowly phasing out LL01. New packages of Castrol 0W40 and 0W30 also do not have LL01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back