2013 MB E350 oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first oil change. 36K miles. Looking for a 229.5 compliant engine oil that is readily available in retail market.

Any suggestions?

M1 European 0W-40 seems the way to go, but it also seems too inexpensive.

Thanks.

M1 0W40 at Walmart is about $25.xx for 5-qt jug, you need 2 jugs. Use 8.0-8.5 quarts for an oil change, save the rest for next change. Other brand is Castrol Edge 0W40 for about the same price.

For cartridge oil filter you should buy German brands such as Hengst, Mahle, Mann ... They are available at Rockauto and Amazon.

I've run both Castrol and Mobil1 in my '07 E-350. Pick whichever you want. You have the M276, so your oil capacity should be just under 7qts. If you want to go a different route, Amazon does have Total 5w-40, for around $6 a quart (12-pack). All of these are 229.5 approved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
M1 0W40 at Walmart is about $25.xx for 5-qt jug, you need 2 jugs. Use 8.0-8.5 quarts for an oil change, save the rest for next change. Other brand is Castrol Edge 0W40 for about the same price.

For cartridge oil filter you should buy German brands such as Hengst, Mahle, Mann ... They are available at Rockauto and Amazon.

You can also use Pennzoil Euro Ultra 5w40 or Castrol 0w30. Anything with 229.5 is pretty good.

Advance Auto Parts sells the oem equivalent Mann fleece filter, but the Purolator Boss filter is a rebranded Mann fleece. The Fram Ultra filter is also a good choice. Just don't use a non-reinforced paper filter.

Originally Posted By: mlupone
This is my first oil change. 36K miles. Looking for a 229.5 compliant engine oil that is readily available in retail market.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Too inexpensive? I will happily sell you some for 2x the price.
smile.gif

Are you a Canadian by any chance? Some of the consumers up here seem to prefer to pay more.
wink.gif

M1 0w-40 is a fine approved lubricant. If you find the price is too cheap, just truck on into Canada and hit a place like our Walmarts or Canadian Tire, and pick up a jug of M1 0w-40 at regular prices. If you like expensive, you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Are you a Canadian by any chance? Some of the consumers up here seem to prefer to pay more.
wink.gif

M1 0w-40 is a fine approved lubricant. If you find the price is too cheap, just truck on into Canada and hit a place like our Walmarts or Canadian Tire, and pick up a jug of M1 0w-40 at regular prices. If you like expensive, you won't be disappointed.

+1 with Garak. If you think oil is expensive for your MB wait until you get the repair bills for that car.

What does an oil change cost at the dealer or a quick lube? A lot more than $50-75 for oil and a filter.

You can spend more, but you can't buy a better oil than Mobil 1 0W40 for your Mercedes.

Believe me, if it makes you feel better to spend more, you'll pay outrageous prices for lots of things on that car...

And I would just use the MB Fleece filter. It's relatively inexpensive, even at the dealer.

I'll have another Mobil 1 0W40 UOA soon, as the S600 is due for its B service next month, but here's an example of how well that "cheap" oil held up in the M275 V-12 twin turbo: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3383451/Mobil_1_0W40,_9,186_miles,_200#Post3383451

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

+1 with Garak. If you think oil is expensive for your MB wait until you get the repair bills for that car.

What does an oil change cost at the dealer or a quick lube? A lot more than $50-75 for oil and a filter.

Wait til he goes to the dealer for an oil change, service A is like $300 and it's basically a glorified oil change. Service B is usually even more, more like $500 although they do a few little extra things. There will be no complaints about inexpensive when you go there.

Best is Mobil 1 0w40. There's also a $12 rebate on a 5 quart jug without a filter which is good through the end of May. So it's a little over $13 for a 5 quart jug after rebate. Only better deal was at Autozone when they had their annual oil clearance, got a bunch of Castrol 0w40 and 0w30 for $2 a quart last year. Some people were doing even better with Amazon Now, but I don't think that's available in the OP's area, they had a $10 rebate on using the service so it could have been a little over $3 for a 5 quart jug after dual rebates.

Buy a Mercedes then complain about cost? Something is really wrong with the picture.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You can buy bottles of 1 qt. They are like $9 per quart.
The reason why M1 is cheap is price war with Castrol and other mfg's, sheer volume of sale, low margins etc. M1 0W40 is one of the most expensive oils in EU where pricing is done bit differently.
You CANNOT go wrong with M1 0W40 in MB, or for that matter Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 etc.
However, considering availability of M1 and Castrol 0W40 in local Wal Marts, you are really complicating your life.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Buy a Mercedes then complain about cost? Something is really wrong with the picture.

I read it just the opposite .... he was concerned the oil didn't cost enough or maybe because it didn't cost more, it didn't really meet 229.5:

OP: "...M1 European 0W-40 seems the way to go, but it also seems too inexpensive."

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just buy it at your dealer.....problem solved.....
grin.gif

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Wait 36k miles for an oil change isn't a little bit too much?..I know it's a Mercedes, but still...
And this is the first time I see anyone complaining about an oil being INexpensive, usually people tend to be angry with the contrary...If you find Mobil 1 0W-40 too cheap in USA you always can come to Europe to buy it from here - the prices are quite higher. In this case Mobil 1 0W-40 is a safe bet, this oil has done an amazing job for so many Mercedes' (and not only) throughout the world that you don't have to worry about it's low price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
Wait 36k miles for an oil change isn't a little bit too much?..I know it's a Mercedes, but still...
And this is the first time I see anyone complaining about an oil being INexpensive, usually people tend to be angry with the contrary...If you find Mobil 1 0W-40 too cheap in USA you always can come to Europe to buy it from here - the prices are quite higher. In this case Mobil 1 0W-40 is a safe bet, this oil has done an amazing job for so many Mercedes' (and not only) throughout the world that you don't have to worry about it's low price.

My guess is that he bought the car used so it's the first time he's doing the oil change on the car, not that it went 36k without an oil change.

My guess is that he bought the car used so it's the first time he's doing the oil change on the car, not that it went 36k without an oil change. [/quote]

Correct...I purchased CPO.

Where are you in VA?

The MB dealer in Virginia Beach was bought by Charles Barker. Great guys at the parts counter, I've worked with a great service advisor there named Carl...

But no Mercedes is ever serviced inexpensively.

I'm a fan of the factory fleece filter. Im also a fan of the Mobil 1 0W40. However, I just bought two jugs of the Edge 0W40for about $23 each...even cheaper...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Where are you in VA?

The MB dealer in Virginia Beach was bought by Charles Barker. Great guys at the parts counter, I've worked with a great service advisor there named Carl...

But no Mercedes is ever serviced inexpensively.

I'm a fan of the factory fleece filter. Im also a fan of the Mobil 1 0W40. However, I just bought two jugs of the Edge 0W40for about $23 each...even cheaper...

Mobil 1 is cheaper with the $12 rebate going on right now on a 5 quart jug. I have an older E350 and it has the sticker right on the car to use Mobil 1. I actually have some Castrol 0w30 in it now, got some at Autozone during their $2/quart clearance.

Any suggestions?

Pick one of these depending on price, availability and whim.

Regards, lim

I've used Mobil 1 Formula M 5W40, Mercedes Benz 5W40 and Castrol Edge 0W40 in my 2012 E350; all are good oils and meet the MB oil spec. Formula M is no longer available from my dealer but Mobil 1 0W40 is a good substitute. I have used oil filters from Mercedes Benz, Mahle and Purflux. The OEM filter that I replaced on the first oil change was made by Purflux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back