2013 Ducati Multistrada - Rotella 15W/40 & 5W/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
BLACKSTONE LABS OIL REPORT: 11/13/2014

OIL TYPE & GRADE: Shell Rotella 15W/40 (2nd UOA) Shell Rotella T6 5W/40 (1st UOA)

MAKE/MODEL: Ducati 1198cc 2013 Multistrada

FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)

NOTES: You mentioned taking the sample cold, and that might be why fuel dilution is so high. Still, 2.5% is more than we normally see from normal operation, so it's worth monitoring in the coming samples. Fuel probably thinned the viscosity - it read in the 5W/30 range. You used a similar interval as last time, so it's nice to see metals staying relatively steady. Steady wear is among the best indicators of a healthy engine, so we don't have any reason to believe any mechanical issues are in the works. The 8.0 TBN shows lots of active additive in the oil, so try 4,000 miles next.

(2nd UOA / UNIT LOCATION AVERAGE / 1st UOA / UNIVERSAL AVERAGE)

MI on Oil: 2,713 / - / 2853 / -

MI on Unit: 13567 / - /10854 / -

Sample Date: 11/1/2014 / - / 6/22/2014 / -

Make Up Oil: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0

Aluminum: 18 / 19 / 19 / 17

Chromium: 0 / 0 / 0 / 1

Iron: 10 / 13 / 16 / 21

Copper: 3 / 3 / 3 / 4

Lead: 1 / 1 / 1 / 5

Tin: 1 / 1 / 0 / 0

Molybdenum: 12 / 34 / 55 / 90

Nickel: 1 / 1 / 1 / 2

Manganese: 0 / 0 / 0 / 1

Silver: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0

Titanium: 0 / 0 / 0 / 1

Potassium: 5 / 4 / 3 / 3

Boron: 32 / 40 / 48 / 64

Silicon: 7 / 9 / 11 / 19

Sodium: 9 / 10 / 11 / 9

Calcium: 1840 / 1313 / 786 / 1627

Magnesium: 243 / 718 / 1193 / 521

Phosphorus: 969 / 1006 / 1042 / 1044

Zinc: 1065 / 1113 / 1160 / 1183

Barium: 0 / 0 / 0 / 2

(2nd UOA / VALUES SHOULD BE / 1st UOA)

SUS Viscosity @210° F: 60.2 / 67-80 / 58.1

cSt Viscosity @100° C: 10.28 / 12.2-15.8 / 9.69

Flashpoint in ° F: 335 / >385 / 320

Fuel %: 2.5 / 2.8

Antifreeze %: 0.0 / 0.0 / 0.0

Water %: 0.0 / 0.0

Insolubles %: 0.1 / TR

TBN: 8.0 / >1.0 / 8.2

------------------------------------------------------

These are my first UOAs. I'm concerned about fuel dilution and viscosity. Oil samples were taken after warming motorcycle up for a short time (now I know that is not ideal).

What do you guys think about the numbers? And, would you recommend 4K on this oil?

Assuming the fuel dilution figure is correct.
Then viscosity will certainly be compromised to a larger degree than it otherwise would be.

If your concerned about the outcome as it stands, then do something about the fuel dilution.
Unless it's a short tripper, then there's nothing that can be done other than take it for longer runs/alter the nature of operation.

Alternately just change the oil more often if you can't alter the nature of operation of the bike.

Monitor the situation further to establish a trend that you can work with.

Last edited:
I have the the same bike and model yr. About the fuel, are you riding in Sport Mode in a stop and go environment like urban or suburban streets? That could do it, since the way the ride-by-wire throttle response map is set for more aggressive fueling in Sport Mode may lend itself to some degree of over fueling in frequent stop/start riding.

The mfg recommends 10-40, 15-40, 15-50, or 20-40 and 20-50 if not operating below freezing. The dealer recommends Motul 300V 10-40 for 7.5K miles. I do not use it below freezing much. I had switched from Rot 5-40 to 15-40 to help with viscosity.

LoneRanger
I do use the multi in 150 high which is the same as sport mode. I love the throttle response in 150 high so I use that mode 95% of the time. I do not do much stop and go driving or many short trips. Next sample I take will be after a long run. Would excess fuel evaporate if oil temps were high enough? Would it be reasonable to assume that since no water was found in UOA that oil temperature is warm enough for evaporation? I don't know what my oil temps run but my motor temps are only 140-160 unless it is stopped in traffic. Thanks for posting your UOA. What oil are you running in yours now and are you happy with it?

I am running Silkolene Pro 4 15W50 and very happy with it. Yes, a long run should evap fuel dilution. It's funny how different shops recommend differently. The Ducati Master Tech at my dealer recommends 15W50.

Have you run an UOA on the Silkolene Pro 4 and what drain intervals do you feel comfortable with? I find it interesting that the Silkolene and the Motul (what my dealer recommends) are both ester type. My dealer recommends 10-40 for water cooled and 15-50 for air cooled Duc's.

Originally Posted By: jdan
LoneRanger
I do use the multi in 150 high which is the same as sport mode. I love the throttle response in 150 high so I use that mode 95% of the time. I do not do much stop and go driving or many short trips. Next sample I take will be after a long run. Would excess fuel evaporate if oil temps were high enough? Would it be reasonable to assume that since no water was found in UOA that oil temperature is warm enough for evaporation? I don't know what my oil temps run but my motor temps are only 140-160 unless it is stopped in traffic. Thanks for posting your UOA. What oil are you running in yours now and are you happy with it?

I Would say that your usage patterns appear to be relatively normal.

Sampling after a long run will certainly be the best practice.
You could make an occasion of it, and do the oil change immediately after returning home after a nice long ride. Anything less than 16 kms is deemed to be a short run by industry standards.

Any fuel and water present in the oil, will eventually evaporate at a lower temp given a long enough time span for the operating temps you have stated.
Fuel will evaporate easily, the water will probably take longer.
Given the UOA indicates no water present, I would confidently say there's no problem with the amount of time the oil spends at normal operating temps.

Consider this.
Should you be getting excessive fuel dilution through a tuning issue, it may well be compounding over a period of time and building up regardless of the manner of operation.
Any fuel dilution has deleterious effects upon the oil, and in a number of ways.
Any excessive amount over normal tolerances will be having an even greater effect upon the oil, because it's disproportionate.
The most profound effect fuel dilution has on the oil, is oil thinning.

You should also consider the normal shearing effects on the oil from the transmission, as helping to contribute to the low oil viscosity in the UOA.
An oil that's better suited to your application may be able to combat these issues better.

It looks like more frequent oil changes are going to be the best way forward.
And or a thicker oil to start off with.
Provided the ambient temps are within the prescribed tolerances as stated in your owners manual, a 15w-50 grade oil may well be on the cards for you.
Just let the bike warm up a bit longer in the cold weather, before getting into it when using a thicker oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdan
Have you run an UOA on the Silkolene Pro 4 and what drain intervals do you feel comfortable with? I find it interesting that the Silkolene and the Motul (what my dealer recommends) are both ester type. My dealer recommends 10-40 for water cooled and 15-50 for air cooled Duc's.

No UOA yet. Running it out to 3750 miles.... half the 7500 Ducati publishes in the maintenance schedule. By the time it passes about 2500 miles or sooner it will probably have sheared to 40 weight anyhow. My Duc is at the dealer for 15,000 mile service right now.

I'm down in Evansville, where you at?

Half of the 7500 seams like a reasonable interval with a high quality oil. Did you hear that the 2015 will have a 9000 mile interval! I had hoped to reach 15K by now but missed some of the season due to an injury. Looking forward to see your UOA. I live near Indianapolis. Do you use yours much in sport mode or 150 high. Your fuel was just a trace much lower than mine. I'm going to check with the dealer about the fuel content.

The run that UOA was from saw a lot of 150 Hi, but my dealer is in Louisville KY a two hour ride and the sample for that UOA was captured there, so the engine was run for two hours prior-- plenty long to evap fuel out of the oil. It was that UOA that, along with the master tech's recommendation, made me switch to 15W50. That particular 10W40 was showing as a 30 weight in the UOA (sheared). Not even sure I'll UOA the Silkolene. I like the way the bike runs on it, unless the shifting starts getting rough (sign of oil shear down) then I see no reason to for the most part. I knew the '15 went to a 18,000 mile interval for the Desmo service (timing belt, valve check, and more) but never thought about the oil interval switching to 9000.

Looks like some fun roads between you and the dealer. Hope it warms up for you for the ride back. I am interested on how your desmo service goes and what they find. I will not be able to do mine until spring but my warranty expires in Jan.

$ 1100. Valves were still as new, no shims needed. Price includes $130 for a new handguard on the right grip which got broke when I dropped the bike three weeks ago in the Hoosier Nat'l Forest, separating the AC joint in my right shoulder in the process. Bike only a little cosmetic damage because my shoulder broke the fall, lol. You immediately realize that although it weighs in below 500 dry, the tall multi is plenty tough to pick up after a drop, 'specially with a borked shoulder but the adrenalin helps out with that...

When it's cold, I usually take I-64 because to cover the distance the quickest. Have the Tuneboy cruise control which makes slabbing more of a bore than it already is, but a little less tedious.

LR,
yes shoulders tend to take the brunt and try and become a plow.
usually doesnt workout well. heal up fast.
any bike becomes much heavier after a fall.

Thanks for the desmo update. Sounds like a good report on your Ducati.I will try 15-50 and drain it after a long run next time. Hope your shoulder heals quickly.

Anyone here have any new UOA's on their Duc's? I'm new to a '13 Multi Touring S, and she's currently at the dealer for a variety of things (new rubber, new fuel sender under warranty, new fork under warranty, new heated grip under warranty, oil change, and tranny stuck between 5th/6th literally as I was taking her in for service.) - and left them with some Rotella T6, figuring it was a decent substitute for their unicorn tears stuff at $18/qt... Usually T6 is the quality "bargain leader" of the free world, but perhaps not for Ducatis. Any more data points are appreciated, and thanks for the info provided thus far!

fuel evaporates at room temp. doesnt need to be warmed up.

2nd if you are in the states do you run 91/92 premium fuel ?
I have been finding with all my bikes that 89/90 is a much better fuel. otherwise I was getting high fuel in my oil samples too! since changing down. I have .4% fuel dilution in samples vs 4%

Originally Posted By: BeerLube
Anyone here have any new UOA's on their Duc's? I'm new to a '13 Multi Touring S, and she's currently at the dealer for a variety of things (new rubber, new fuel sender under warranty, new fork under warranty, new heated grip under warranty, oil change, and tranny stuck between 5th/6th literally as I was taking her in for service.) - and left them with some Rotella T6, figuring it was a decent substitute for their unicorn tears stuff at $18/qt... Usually T6 is the quality "bargain leader" of the free world, but perhaps not for Ducatis. Any more data points are appreciated, and thanks for the info provided thus far!

Nope, sorry ... totaled both mine-- the 2013 I'd mentioned here and the 2016 Multi that replaced it. Both destroyed. For the record though, in the 2016's manual Ducati strictly said only 15W50 that meets JASO MA2. So they tightened up the oil spec from what it was in my 2013's manual which allowed a broader range per ambient outside air temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back