2013 Cadillac ATS rear diff ID, leak diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprucing up a newly acquired 2013 ATS. Fixing a few things (touch screen, air bag light, all fluids, etc).

I couldn't find the RPO plate yesterday but now know it's in the trunk underneath, will check for the code if it's an LSD or not (I think not - 2.0L Luxury RWD automatic). So mainly I was concerned if it needed LSD fluid changed (~70k on it), but then saw the gasket weaping. Trying to decide to take the cover off and re-seal, or just re-fill with some new fluid and ester oil to try and treat the gasket.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Really depends on your intentions with the car, is this a 1-2 year planned ownership weekend toy that you plan to stay local with and can check the fluid level regularly? If so then I'd try to refill it with Redline gear oil or another ester based lube as you suggested, it may work to slow it significantly. I've had good luck using ester based atf to rejuvenate the seals and stop weeping leaks and very slow fluid loss in power steering systems on buddies cars. If it is a daily driver or goes on long trips in the middle of nowhere then you should just reseal the diff and refill with the quality lube of your choice, better to not take chances.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Oro_O
take the cover off and re-seal

cheers3.gif

Yeah, this is what I should do. It is not my car, so as GZRider said, since I can't monitor it very regularly, I should go that route.

Also, checking axle seals before I get a gasket is wise. I'd visualize them then and catch it, but better to check ahead and do it all at once.

Thanks all of you for some nice cross-checking of my thoughts.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
take the cover off and re-seal

cheers3.gif

Yeah, this is what I should do. It is not my car, so as GZRider said, since I can't monitor it very regularly, I should go that route.

Also, checking axle seals before I get a gasket is wise. I'd visualize them then and catch it, but better to check ahead and do it all at once.

Thanks all of you for some nice cross-checking of my thoughts.

How do you like the car? These seem like the way to get a euro sport sedan experience made with GM simplicity, reliability, and parts prices.

Originally Posted by IndyIan

How do you like the car? These seem like the way to get a euro sport sedan experience made with GM simplicity, reliability, and parts prices.

It isn't mine and I haven't driven it a lot yet. I did rent the very-related Chevy Malibu with the same basic body and drivetrain (same engine, detuned slightly, with transverse mount/FWD vs. this RWD) about two years ago. I spent several days abusing that 2017 LT on very nice Napa/Sonoma roads and the PCH. I really liked it. I think the ATS has potential as you say. I think it's good looking vs. much of the competition, it has no truly "fatal" flaws from what I can tell from tech archives and forums. The 2.0T is not head-snapping, but it's not bad. And it's been around and has proven itself from what I can tell. I really hate gambling on new engine designs until they have a strong track record, myself.

Personally I was thinking of used Lexus GS in the near future for myself; am now considering a much newer one of these for the same or similar price. Things do break on these as it's GM and not Toyota, BUT: as you said they aren't pricey to fix if you can do your own work. And again, I think it's an attractive car vs. much of the competition, and that matters to me but doesn't apply to everyone, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back