2013-2020 Ford Fusions

No more Ford Fusions. I had three Ford Taurus's, the latest one being a 2005 for my daughter. I found used Taurus's were pretty cheap to buy and I'm thinking that once auto production picks up and used car prices go back to normal a used Fusion might be good bet. They are sort of the Ugly Duckling of the automobile world. I'm posting 7 years of models. I'm sort of thinking about the 2.0 Turbo but I'm wondering if anyone has any direct experience with these engines and transmissions. Good, Bad or Ugly. What is your opinion? Thanks.

Ford Fusion.png

Last edited:
1.6 no, no, and no; go with the 2.5L duratec; proven reliable engine, no high tech wizardry, good fuel economy. JMO

My friend had a 1.6L and it seemed to be a nightmare from day 1; ford sent her a notification to stop driving it and it sat @ the dealer for weeks while they (ford) redesigned something.

My neighbor has a 2013 Fusion with the 2.0 Ecoboost. It's a good-looking car and pretty zippy to drive around. He's had no major issues at 140k miles and irregular maintenance. But... that might just be a complete fluke. I have no idea how reliable that particular motor really is.

My wife has a '14 Fusion SE with the 1.5L Ecoboost engine. I'm not going to jinx us though !

If I'm not mistaken, they all have the same transmission except for a few '13 and maybe early '14 models that were available with the 1.6L and a 6-speed manual and the '17+ Sport model had a beefier transmission. These transmissions can shift "funny", at times, at certain throttle inputs, etc but it seems to be a programming thing vs a mechanical one. If you drive in Sport mode, you don't see it normally.

Last edited:
2016 Fusion SE awd with 2.0 here. Nothing but fluid, filters and tires at 60,000 miles. A lot of people like this body style even non ford people. Too bad Ford stopped making them. If your going to get an EcoBoost I'd stick with the 2.0, otherwise as others have mentioned get the reliable 2.5. The awd system has really impressed me even with all season tires in the winter.

Fusions with the Ecoboost 2.0 are pretty solid, not uncommon to see older ones with 120k+ miles on the clock. One thing I do is NOT follow Ford’s recommended intervals for transmission fluid and coolant. For example, they recommend the Mercon LV first drain @ 150,000 miles. No thank you.

My son drives a 2015 Fusion with the 2.5 Duratec, really likes the room and mpg. At 72-75 on the highway, he's getting 31-34 mpg. This time of year without AC on, it's about 1.5 mpg better. The car has 180k miles. One issue he just found out is that the bumper cover has to be dropped to replace headlight bulbs. I suppose some other cars have this issue but it's the first time we have come across it. No other issues yet.

I had a 2014 with the base engine (2.5) found it to be a soul less appliance. It did the job well and I used it as a rep car so piled a bunch of mileage on it. Was reliable in the 100k of ownership but just boring as hell.

My last company car was a '16 2.0L AWD. It was black with the cool spoke wheels and was quick and comfortable with full leather. As others stated, the AWD was very good in the snow. I put just over 100K on her before ordering my '19 Escape replacement (1.5L EB, the engine was replaced at 18K miles). The Escape has been more practical as I play in a Boston area band, but I sure do miss the 2.0L. In hindsight, I should have tried to fit my kick drum in the Fusion and ordered another one.

Back