2012 Versa spark plug replacement

Am approaching 102k on my Versa. Recommended replacement is 109k. The procedure looks like open heart surgery to correct heartburn. What is this gonna cost me? I’m not a wrencher. My tool box looks like a Mellisa and Dougs kids toy. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Gag. I remember my 2007 civic. Four plugs, right across the top. Pull them out, regap , clean the electrodes with sandpaper, put them back in. Should I replace the coils? Car runs fine, smooth idle etc. I know it’s been ten years but.. I guess amortized over a decade it’s reasonable . Just not all at once😩

It is not a bad job, you could do it yourself. If you are unable to do it yourself yes at 102,000 miles you would want to replace the coils with OEM not aftermarket otherwise you could be paying for the job again not too far down the road when a coil fails.

What is the procedure? The engine's an inline 4, isn't it?
You have to take the intake manifold off first, Even with that I don't think it's too hard for anyone to do, although in addition to the plugs if you're taking off a 12 year old intake manifold, I'd probably replace all the gaskets before putting it back.

You have to take the intake manifold off first, Even with that I don't think it's too hard for anyone to do, although in addition to the plugs if you're taking off a 12 year old intake manifold, I'd probably replace all the gaskets before putting it back.
I discovered a video from A1 Auto showing how the job is done. I can see where someone who's not used to wrenching could be intimidated by the job. IMO, it's overly complicated for what is essentially an economy car. It's far more complicated and time-consuming than my Camry, for example, and I wouldn't care to do it in my driveway.

Sure, everyone has different skill levels and abilities, but IMO changing plugs on so simple an engine should be a lot simpler, and a lot less expensive if having a shop do the work. Going by rates in my area, just the labor for changing the plugs, if using the book rate quoted by @The Critic, would be $225.00 to $280.00 + gaskets and plugs By comparison, the shop charge on my Camry would have been about half that.

I discovered a video from A1 Auto showing how the job is done. I can see where someone who's not used to wrenching could be intimidated by the job. IMO, it's overly complicated for what is essentially an economy car. It's far more complicated and time-consuming than my Camry, for example, and I wouldn't care to do it in my driveway.

Sure, everyone has different skill levels and abilities, but IMO changing plugs on so simple an engine should be a lot simpler, and a lot less expensive if having a shop do the work. Going by rates in my area, just the labor for changing the plugs, if using the book rate quoted by @The Critic, would be $225.00 to $280.00 + gaskets and plugs By comparison, the shop charge on my Camry would have been about half that.
I acknowledge all of your comments. I'm sure if I did three of these procedures the fourth one, hopefully mine, would come off flawlessly. I come from a long line of non mechanics but my Dad always instilled into me his motto. “ Always be good enough in what you do to make enough money to afford those who know what you don’t”. Was he thinking about a 2012 Versa? What a visionary.🤔

..... but IMO changing plugs on so simple an engine should be a lot simpler,
Should be, I agree!

I changed plugs on my Honda Fit and they're on the backside of the cylinder head, beneath an overhanging sheetmetal cowl. Not a difficult job, just annoying because it's tight back there (and before doing anything, there was a plastic cowl that had to come off also plus the wiper motor and mechanism). Why couldn't they put the plugs on the front of the cylinder head like they are on the Civic?

Not a big job but the intake comes off.

123.JPG

146Spark plugs.JPG

One of the chain stores should knock it out for $200-$250.

Back