2012 Ninja 250 engine speed issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as of yesterday this new problem has came up on my bike. The idle speed just jumps up another grand out of nowhere after a good while of riding and stays that way. So instead of a 1000rpm idle its now 2000 and the engine speed stays a grand higher while running. I have no clue whats going on. My amateur bike mechanic buddy told me his KLR 650 does that as well and its the carb needle getting stuck and to fix his he pulls in the clutch gives it a few high revs and its back to normal. Tried it, nothing. Getting really upset that a new bike with only 1,500mi is having any sort of problem. Any ideas guys??

Also be sure the cable is routed correctly and not binding on how it's supposed to be laid out. Adjust idle rpm per manufacturer specs.

Not sure about the new generation of Ninja 250s but the older ones have two throttle cables..one to open the carb throats and another to pull them closed FOR SURE!. You might have a issue inside one carb or a vacuum leak, or a miss adjusted idle if the problem shows up when the bike reaches full operating temp.

See your dealer. Part of that "new bike cost" was warranty service.

Even my fuel injected Triumph idles about 400 RPM faster when warm versus cold.

But yeah with carbs just try to adjust them down. Usually a vacuum leak will be present cold or hot.

There should be a small thumb-wheel between the fairing and frame on one side to adjust the idle speed. adjust it to the proper level warm. It may then be necessary to use the choke/enrichment to maintain cold idle.

Should be information in your owners manual.

I would say adjust the carb but its not happening every single ride and every single ride I ride it long enough to get the engine up to running temp. So far its only happened twice but if the engine gets shut off for a few minutes it goes back to its normal engine speeds. Thats where my concern comes from is the no reason of why it happens and hasnt happened until now.

Just went on an 80mi run today and I didnt have that issue. Now both times that I did have that issue it was extremely hot outside. Today was in the mid 60's vs 90 degrees the times I did have that problem. I cant help but wonder if that was helping the problem but I dont know why it would.

with this bike being BRAND NEW, dont mess with it, roll it right back to the dealers tell them whats up and they can have a mechanic do it.. your paying for the warranty, use it..

if your out of warranty for some odd reason...

ALSO: i agree with the others, get the bike hot and use the idle air screw and adjust to correct idle RPM. i prefer about 1,200 to 1,400 on these little bikes. my opinion..

Last edited:
The reason I ask is that I'm having a somewhat similar issue.

After riding a few minutes my rpm slowly starts climbing at steady speeds (on the tach only) when it's warm outside. The clutch is not slipping and the engine rpm is not actually climbing.

Kawasaki (not the dealer) diagnosed it as something stretching inside the tach when it gets hot. They replaced the guts of the tach. Didn't help a thing.

For instance, I run slightly less than 8000rpm at 60 mph. After it gets hot, it slowly creeps up to 9000.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
The reason I ask is that I'm having a somewhat similar issue.

After riding a few minutes my rpm slowly starts climbing at steady speeds (on the tach only) when it's warm outside. The clutch is not slipping and the engine rpm is not actually climbing.

Kawasaki (not the dealer) diagnosed it as something stretching inside the tach when it gets hot. They replaced the guts of the tach. Didn't help a thing.

For instance, I run slightly less than 8000rpm at 60 mph. After it gets hot, it slowly creeps up to 9000.

Man, thats weird.. id suspect the cable itself.. but im just grasping at straws after your explination.

The Ninja 250 forums say it's the electronic control unit. Haven't given them a second shot at it yet. Don't much like my bike being used for a guinea pig.

But I don't much like seeing over 10,000 rpm at 70mph, either.

The Ninja 250 forums say it's the electronic control unit. Haven't given them a second shot at it yet. Don't much like my bike being used for a guinea pig.

But I don't much like seeing over 10,000 rpm at 70mph, either.

Totally with you, Im sure Kawasaki has a customer support line if your not happy with the local support your getting. I had to go this route when my R1 top end was chattering like a typewriter after 2 months (brand new).. it got ugly but they took care of it.. Local dealer didnt want to do anything.

The local dealer is great. Kawasaki is the one throwing stuff in the hope that something sticks.

The local dealer is great. Kawasaki is the one throwing stuff in the hope that something sticks.

Well, just keep after them letting them know your not satisfied. If they throw enuff parts at it im sure after awhile there going to hit paydirt.

My son has the same issue on his 2009 Ninja 500 - occasionally the idle speed jumps up when hot. I told him not to worry about it if it wasn't consistent.

Your 2012 250 is still a carb set up isn't it? So is my son's 500 and the dealer had to clean the carbs when we bought it since it wouldn't idle at all when we first looked at it. The bike only had 900 miles on it when we bought it this spring so the carbs were gummed up.

The idea of something sticking in the carb makes sense. Maybe I'll run some fuel injector cleaner through it!

I just hit 1800 miles, and I realize that I have both problems. The inaccurate tach reading, and the high idle tach reading you are talking about.

Not only that, my fuel gage, which never was the bastion of accuracy now won't read over 1/2 tank when topped off.

Back to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back